P-47 Thunderbolt 1/8th construction

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Fantastic build!
Thanks mate. I have a long way to go to be as good as you are. I dont think that i could ever build things as tiny as the parts you build. Each to his own i woud say. It is my first project so things should get better as i go along.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

P47 D Thunderbolt Construction 1/8th Scale

Hi Gang,

Here we go, the continuing saga of the dreded under carriage doors. Well as you can see the final result was a good one. However, for a total beginner it was a nightmare. Many hours of head scratching and trial and error and i finally came up trumps.

The first part was easy, cut the doors into the 4 sections that are required. This was a walk in the park with the old badnsaw. Now came the hard bit. The Thunderbolt has a section that fixes solid to the wheel, not much room was available for fixing. A bracket was made out of brass shim stock to form a clamp around the strut and a little of 5 min appoxy finished the job. Next came the problem of travel. Because the section on the wheel is fixed and the strut is longer than the next section of door allowance has to be made for the door to pass over the whell door as the retracts opperate, some sort of device has to be made to lift the door as it rises, you can see a D clamp on the strut with a bent wire brace, this hinges as the strut lifts and cause the door to raise off the strut and provide the clearance for travel. I did intend to use a ball joint for this but as this model does not allow for doors, clearance was minimal and provided no room for these once the doors are closed. The next problem due to this non existant space factor was how to hinge the next section of the door at the retract unit. This was done by means of a sort of fibre material that you can buy for this exact job, fortunatly some came with the kit and was meant to be used for the ailerons and rudder hinges, where instead i used proper hinges. Glueing this to the fibre glass doors proved tricky and i wasnt 100% happy just incase the ripped of in mid flight, to overcome this i made some very tiny plates, again from shim stock and fixed them through the hinge material into the door with tiny CSK screws.

Once satisfied with the operation the last section of door was fitted, these have a bent peice of wire firbe glassed to the inside of the door. This comes into contact with the wheel as it is lifted and acts as a closing mechanism for this section.

Now the struts. As you can see in the first stages they are naked and i thought that i should add some realism, so i cut a slice out of some tube and clipped it round the struts a couple of peices are added in areas to form a collar look, a couple of trays are added and then some brake tubes. The final touch is to coat it all in some fuel proof resin ( matt ) this gives it a little bit of a weathered look also.

Stay tuned for some more scale building folks.

Andy

View attachment 17992

View attachment 17993

View attachment 17994

View attachment 17995

View attachment 17996

View attachment 17997

View attachment 17998

View attachment 17999

View attachment 18000

View attachment 18001

View attachment 18002

View attachment 18003

View attachment 18004

View attachment 18005

View attachment 18006

Doors 1.jpg

Doors 2.jpg

Doors 3.jpg

Doors 4.jpg

Doors 5.jpg

Doors 6.jpg

Doors 7.jpg

Doors 8.jpg

Doors 11.jpg

Doors 9.jpg

Doors 12.jpg

Doors 13.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

Doors 14.jpg

Doors 15.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Well Gang,

Here is the latest installment of the P47 project. I'm trying to do as much scale as i can before painting, i think i'm waiting for the weather to pick up so i can spay outside of the work shop. Well this installment is a little tip that some of you might already know but those who dont here it is.

Panel joints:

Some use the techneque of laying down masking tape and building up the lines with layers of paint, i have found that if you lay about 3 layers of masking tape on top of each other and then smear some squadren filler over the line and then sand and remove the tape you get a lovely panel joint ( overlapping of course ) The same method can be applied for butting panels by the same method and then cutting a very thin strip about 1/8th wide and them smear each side of the tape.

Andy

View attachment 18038

View attachment 18039

View attachment 18040

Cowl panel lines.jpg

Cowl panel lines 2.jpg

Formong panel lines on cowl.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Your second installment covers the bomb release mechanisms. Again not happy with the Topflite issued peices i needed to add some scale. From a picture that i have of these you will see how much better the finished objects are. Though finished these will not be added to the wings until the end of the project.

Andy

View attachment 18041

View attachment 18042

View attachment 18043

View attachment 18044

View attachment 18045

View attachment 18046

View attachment 18047

View attachment 18048

View attachment 18049

View attachment 18050

Bomb Release Raw 2.jpg

Bomb Release cut out.jpg

Bomb Release Contoured.jpg

Bomb Release on wings.jpg

Bpmb Release paneling 1.jpg

Bomb Release Mechanics.jpg

Bomb Release rivited 2.jpg

Bomb releases ready for paint.jpg

Bpmb release painted 1.jpg

Bomb releases weatherd.jpg

S

Sky Raider

And to round off this episode: in my never ending search to find a decent 3 veiw for this project i have decided to follow the majority of you guys and brought a kit. Applying the factor i should be able to get a lot of scale measurements from this. I know that i wont be as good as you guys when it comes to building these small scales and wish that i had someone near that could build this kit to the true standard that it desrves. I can only imagine that i will make a great pigs breakfast of it.

Andy

View attachment 18056

P47 Kit for scale reference.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

I took a look at the canopy supplied by Topflite. not very scale so i decided to add my bit. I will give you a look at the final finished object shortly but this is as far as i have it at the moment. Also, i'm speaking to pete because the pilot is too small at 1/8th scale, i think he needs to be slightly bigger.

Andy

View attachment 18064

View attachment 18065

View attachment 18066

View attachment 18067

View attachment 18068

View attachment 18069

View attachment 18070

Raw Canopy.jpg

Canopy 1.jpg

Canopy 2.jpg

Canopy 3.jpg

Canopy 4.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

S

Siara

Fantastic! I can not wait to see the paint on. Bare metal perhaps?:goodidea:

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Fantastic! I can not wait to see the paint on. Bare metal perhaps?:goodidea:
Thanks Siara,

You are right of course, the canopy will be bare metal aluminium. I did intemd to paint the whole plane silver but was advised by the flying club members that i spoke to, to avoid silver colours as it makes it hard to spot when flying so we are going for the olive drab with a dark grey belly look.

Thanks again.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Here we go with the first of todays installments:

The Canopy. Now that it has its scale look... i think you would agree that it now looks far better than it did originally. The frame has been added by useing Evergreen material, U section. Rivets have been added by the usual means and a coat of Aluminium Paint. A little weathering later on will bring this to life.

Andy

View attachment 18071

View attachment 18072

View attachment 18073

View attachment 18074

Canopy.jpg

Canopy Closed 1.jpg

Canopy Closed 2.jpg

Front Veiw full canopy.jpg

S

Sky Raider

This installment Gang covers making hatches that fit the contour.

These are made exactly the same as the under carriage doors... fibre glass laid onto Monocoat. When dry you get the perfect fit. The smaller one is for access to the rear steer mechanism and the other is for the services. On the panel are:- top left: Air filling point for retacts, Below: Air pressure indicator and below that is the fueling point. Next to these is the on/off switch and charging jack.

Andy

View attachment 18084

View attachment 18085

View attachment 18086

View attachment 18087

View attachment 18088

View attachment 18089

View attachment 18090

Steering Hatch 1.jpg

Service Hatch 1.jpg

Service Hatch 2.jpg

Service Hatch 3.jpg

Service Hatch 4.jpg

Service Hatch 5.jpg

Service Hatch 6.jpg

S

Sky Raider

This next installment is the sanding stage. Wow, what a dusty job... i had to install an extract fan in the ceiling to help get rid of the dust. Everything got coverd and i have to do it all again. Well, you can now see where the inperfections are and have been filled with the trusty Squadren Green Putty. If you dont have any i suggest you pick some up. It dries in an hour and sands brilliantly. Now with all of the defects filled and sanded we will go on to the first coat of real colour and on this once sanded and the plane is level all over, the panel lines will be put on.

Andy

View attachment 18143

View attachment 18144

View attachment 18145

Wings Sanded.jpg

Fuse filled & Sanded.jpg

Tail Defect Filled.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Well Gang,

Here is a tip that i mentioned some time ago and now i can show you the result. I mentioned building parts with car body filler. Because there was no Antenna with the kit i had to build one.

First of all to get the shape and add strenght i cut a peice of thin Ply Wood to the shape i needed. Then added masking tape to the area on the plane where the antenna sits. Mixed up some filler and blobbed it on the tape. This gives a perfect curve to the base of the part. Then i stuck in the Ply template and aligned it with the fin. After about 7 mins the filler is at a stage where you can calve it with a knife. Once it has gone off, remove it by lifting the tape and sand to the desired shape. Once i had this done i added filler all the way up the Ply to the tip, calved and sanded to shape and then the result is a very rigid and strong antenna. This was then fixed to the fuse with 5 min epoxy resin.

Andy

View attachment 18146

View attachment 18147

View attachment 18148

Antenna 1.jpg

Antenna 2.jpg

Antenna 3.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

Well its been a week of plenty of sanding, filling, sanding & spraying. Dust everywhere guys, it will take me a week to dust out the workshop when i have finished.

At this stage a coat of grey is applied to the model, this is a finish coat of paint, this will enable us to have a glimpse of what the final coat will look like. It the general idea to sand back and reveal all the high spot and low spots at this stage. The high spots being white and the low being an unsanded grey. Once found the old trusty Squadren Green is used to fill the low spots and the sanding takes care of the high ones. Below is the sanded out and filled grey coat. Once satisfied with the surface another coat of grey is applied, if all is well this coat will have all the panel lines, hatches, fastners, rivit lines and rivits applied.

Andy

View attachment 18195

View attachment 18196

Grey COat Sanded 1.jpg

Grey Coat Sanded 2.jpg