P-47 Thunderbolt 1/8th construction

S

Sky Raider

P47 D Thunderbolt Construction 1/8th Scale

Hi Gang,

Here is the next installment, for a while now it will be down to artwork. Now that the surface is perfect it is time to add some detail. I have added the panel lines and the hatches to the fuse so far. These lines will be a guide for the overlapping panels and the butted panels, i will show you later how we get this detail to give that realistic look when painted with the fial coat. None of the rivit lines or rivits will be added until all of the panel lines have been created.

Hope you are enjoying this thread, it has been a long time building and i anticipate that we have a few more months yet before it is totally finished.

Andy

View attachment 18206

View attachment 18207

View attachment 18208

View attachment 18209

View attachment 18210

View attachment 18211

View attachment 18212

View attachment 18213

View attachment 18214

Panel Lines1.jpg

Panel Lines 2.jpg

Panel Lines 3.jpg

Panel Lines 4.jpg

Hatches 1.jpg

Hatches 2.jpg

Hatches 3.jpg

Hatches 4.jpg

Hatches 5.jpg

S

Sky Raider

This installment covers Control Surfaces. The control surfaces on many planes were fabric covered. The best way to simulate this is by drawing out the frames on masking tape and then cutting them out leaving what would be the area where the fabric is stretched across. Once the frames are removed several layers of paint will be applied to build up the ribs. Once painted the remaining tape is removed and the ribs are exposed and elevated. A quick rub with wire wool to round off the hard edges and there you have it... a fabric covered control surface. I will show you this as the process progresses.

Andy

View attachment 18215

View attachment 18216

Control Surface 1.jpg

Control Surface 2.jpg

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

Really nice work so far and certainly now coming to life, I can see this one looking absolutely fantastic once she is finished. I hadn't realised the true size of the model either till I saw your earlier photo's of the initial priming. Your friend in the background with the cuppa certainly puts it into perspective. What size engine goes in this one..??

Regards........Mark.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,Really nice work so far and certainly now coming to life, I can see this one looking absolutely fantastic once she is finished. I hadn't realised the true size of the model either till I saw your earlier photo's of the initial priming. Your friend in the background with the cuppa certainly puts it into perspective. What size engine goes in this one..??

Regards........Mark.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comment. The engine for this one is the O.S 91 four stroke. I will reveal all when we get to fitting the engine.

Cheers

Andy

S

Siara

Thats one big model. I wish i had space to build something in similar scale.

Superb oportunity for detail there.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Thats one big model. I wish i had space to build something in similar scale. Superb oportunity for detail there.
Thanks Siara,

I have loads of detail to add to this model, though i would not do it the justice that you would going by the work i have seen so far mate.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well Gang here we go again with some more scale detailing. Its time to build up the raised and butting panel joints. There are 2 ways to do this: 1 Mask the lines and spray piant layers of paint over the mask 2 Apply Squadren Filler over the mask lines, i have opted for number 2.

First of all lets do overlapping panels. Apply three layers of masking tape along the edge of the line that is below the ovelapping panel so that you have a lip on the end of the panel, you will see all of these processes from the pics below. Now that it is maked and you have done this to all of the overlapping panel i.e wing & tail fillets etc you can now apply your filler. It is best to do all of the over lapping panels first before the butting panels and any hatches and plates, It makes it easier when sanding.

Below are the pics of all the overlapping panels from lines to mask and to fill.

Andy

View attachment 18253

View attachment 18254

View attachment 18255

View attachment 18256

View attachment 18257

View attachment 18258

View attachment 18259

Masking raised panel areas.jpg

Masking Tail Fillet.jpg

Paised panel filled.jpg

Raised Fillet Filled.jpg

Wing Fillet Filled.jpg

Sanding Raised Joints.jpg

Sanded Wing Fillet.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Right Gang,

Now you have the idea on how to create overlapping panels lets do butt jointing panels. The principal is exactly the same only this time we apply a thin line of masking tape and smear the filler along the line, remember, use 3 layers of tape. The tape im using for this is 1.5mm wide. It come in all sizes 0.5mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm, 2,5mm, 3mm, 4mm & 5.0mm these are the ones i have in my arsenal. Once you have covered the tapes you can then sand after a few hours as the filler cures very qiuckly. I

IMPORTANT point to remeber, when removing the tapes use a toothbrush and thinner to scrub between the lines as some tapes leave a small amount of glue behing when they are removed and this will affect your paint finnish quality.

Andy

View attachment 18260

View attachment 18261

View attachment 18262

View attachment 18263

View attachment 18264

View attachment 18265

View attachment 18266

View attachment 18267

View attachment 18268

View attachment 18269

Wing Layout 1.jpg

Wing Layout 2.jpg

Wing Marking Layout.jpg

Applying Panel But tapes.jpg

Panel Butt Tapes lower wing.jpg

Fuse Hatches Panels and Joints Taped.jpg

But & overlapping joints 2.jpg

But & Over lapping Joints.jpg

Close Up of Overlapping Joint.jpg

Masking Close Up.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Wel Gang with all of the tapes applied that i need so far its time to apply the filler, sand and then remove. You will see in the last 2 pictures the final effect of both the overlapping panels and the butting panels. Once all of these details are complete all over it is time to mark out and apply the rivits, what joy!!!

Andy

View attachment 18270

View attachment 18271

View attachment 18272

View attachment 18273

View attachment 18274

View attachment 18275

View attachment 18276

View attachment 18277

View attachment 18278

View attachment 18279

Applied filler Lower Wing.jpg

Applied Fioller Upper Wing.jpg

Upper Wing Butt Joints.jpg

Upper Wing Butt Joints 2.jpg

Lower wing But Filler applied.jpg

But Filler Close up.jpg

Butt Joints on Fuse filled.jpg

But Joints on Fuse Filled 2.jpg

Close Up of Overlapping Joint.jpg

Butt Joints Exposed.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

Here is some more scale detailing fun. All of the panel detail has now been completed and the masking removed. You will now see the real effect of the butting panels. These will come to real life when the paint is applied. With this detail complete its time to cut out and create the Tip Lights. I have shown how i did this. Masking the final finished product over the area that is to be clear will enable the paint to buils up over the glass for an invisible joint to the wing and giving a lapped effect at the edge of the glass.

Andy

View attachment 18325

View attachment 18326

View attachment 18327

View attachment 18328

View attachment 18329

View attachment 18330

View attachment 18331

View attachment 18332

View attachment 18333

View attachment 18334

Lower Wing Panel Detail.jpg

Lower Wing Panel detail 1.jpg

Lower Wing Panel Detail 2.jpg

Forming Tip Light Glass.jpg

Tip Light Cut out and Glass.jpg

Tip Light Liner.jpg

Tip Light and Reflector fitted.jpg

Masking pre Filling.jpg

Filling around the Tip Light Glass.jpg

Tip Light Glass Sanded.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Its Riviting time gang. It took a few hours to measure and draw on all of the rivit lines, this is the wing only, i have yet to do the fuse and i will show you that when i have it. With all of the rivit lines drawn i decided to rivit the top of the wing only at this stage. You need to have a change every so often when riviting and move on to something else or it will drive you mad. The fuse is my escape, i have to sand down the panel joints and mask the rudder and fin, then draw on the rivit lines. Anyway, i have some more pictures of the progress on the riviting for you.

Andy

View attachment 18335

View attachment 18336

View attachment 18337

View attachment 18338

View attachment 18339

View attachment 18340

View attachment 18341

View attachment 18342

View attachment 18343

View attachment 18344

Rivit Lines Lower Wing.jpg

Rivit Lines Lower Wing 2.jpg

Rivit Lines Upper Wing.jpg

Rivit lines Upper Wing 1.jpg

One end of Upper Wing Rivited.jpg

Riviting Lower Wing.jpg

Riviting Lower Wing 2.jpg

Riviting the Ailerons.jpg

Riviting The Flaps.jpg

Lower Wing Panel Fastners.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

Riviting is such a slow process if you are to get it right... Not much progress going on due to the riviting job that has to be done. Here are some more riviting pic for you guys.

Andy

View attachment 18374

View attachment 18375

View attachment 18376

View attachment 18377

View attachment 18378

View attachment 18379

View attachment 18380

View attachment 18381

View attachment 18382

View attachment 18383

View attachment 18384

View attachment 18385

View attachment 18386

View attachment 18387

View attachment 18388

Fuse Panel Lines.jpg

Fin & Rudder Panel Lines.jpg

Fuse Panel Lines 2.jpg

Lower Wing Rivits & Lights.jpg

Lower Wing.jpg

Oil Cooler 1.jpg

Oil Cooler 2.jpg

Fuse Nose Detail.jpg

Fuse Riviting.jpg

Fin Detail.jpg

Elevator Detail.jpg

Fuse Riviting 2.jpg

Elevator Riviting.jpg

Nose Close up 1.jpg

Nose Close up 2.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

This is a quick update to let you know the progress of the 'Jug'. I have this week completed all of the rivits and the panel lines and she is ready to paint, however, before i can do this i have a few little details to make using car body filler and after that the engine cowl is to be fitted. I will post some pics tomorrow to show you the progress to date.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Well gang, its time for some more scale pics as i promised the other day. We will start with the finished rivet and raised panel details and then move on to a different detail method. You will see from the pictures below the effect of the raised panel detail once it has been sanded and the masking tape removed and then a look at the finished fuse.

View attachment 18435

View attachment 18436

View attachment 18437

View attachment 18438

View attachment 18439

View attachment 18440

View attachment 18441

View attachment 18442

View attachment 18443

View attachment 18444

View attachment 18445

Elevator panel detail.jpg

Elevator Panel detail 1.jpg

Elevator detail 2.jpg

Elevator detail 4.jpg

Rudder panel detail.jpg

Rudder detail 2.jpg

Oil cooler detail.jpg

Rear wheel detail.jpg

Exhaust and vent detail.jpg

Gun location.jpg

Rivited fuse.jpg

S

Sky Raider

This upload covers the making of small details using car body filler. Im not quite sure what these are called or even what they are for but they are on the original and so i have to make them. The tail one is easy, it is a light, i have to make the lense for this and have started using clear household glue. I have placed a blob on some silver file and when it dries i will blob on top of it until it builds up a lense to the depth i need. Then i just glue it to the tail detail.

View attachment 18446

View attachment 18447

View attachment 18448

View attachment 18449

View attachment 18450

View attachment 18451

View attachment 18452

View attachment 18453

View attachment 18454

View attachment 18455

View attachment 18456

View attachment 18457

View attachment 18458

View attachment 18459

Details from body filler.jpg

Body filler 2.jpg

Body filler 3.jpg

Body filler 4.jpg

Body filler 5.jpg

Body filler 6.jpg

Body filler 7.jpg

Body filler 8.jpg

Body filler 9.jpg

Body filler 10.jpg

Body filler 11.jpg

Body filler 12.jpg

Body filler 13.jpg

Body filler 14.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Now we come to the power plant. This is an OS .91 four stroke glow engine, more than powerful enough to fly this bird. Having fitted it to the fire wall and tried on the cowl i have a problem. The valve head is pushing up against the cowl and i wont sit centre and so its off to the model shop and buy another engine that suits. I will still keep this one as it will come in handy for the next projet. From the pictures you will see what i mean.

Andy

View attachment 18460

View attachment 18461

Engine 1.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

First Name
Grahame
Before you spend any hard earned cashed can I suggest that you checkout Laser engines.

Ultra reliable, much shorter than OS etc so fit in cowls easier, use “straight” fuel and to top it all they’re made in England!

Laser Engines

If you have any questions just give them a ring they’re very helpful.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Before you spend any hard earned cashed can I suggest that you checkout Laser engines.Ultra reliable, much shorter than OS etc so fit in cowls easier, use “straight” fuel and to top it all they’re made in England!

Laser Engines

If you have any questions just give them a ring they’re very helpful.
Thanks for the info Greyhead. It is a good site, I have also been advised to look at the RCV91D. It is a minefeild choosing engines and if you listern to people they all have their favorites and each slags the other.

Thanks again mate.

Andy

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

Loving the work so far, this one is looking really nice now, Those rivets must have taken ages to do but they certainly look the part.

As for the RCV engines, I have seen these and they are very nice indeed - British made and they have won awards too, so I don't think you will go wrong with one of these. Best bit is it will be a nice tidy fit inside the cowl. I have no bias in engine makes - so long as they are reliable and perform well then that will do me.

Regards........Mark.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,Loving the work so far, this one is looking really nice now, Those rivets must have taken ages to do but they certainly look the part.

As for the RCV engines, I have seen these and they are very nice indeed - British made and they have won awards too, so I don't think you will go wrong with one of these. Best bit is it will be a nice tidy fit inside the cowl. I have no bias in engine makes - so long as they are reliable and perform well then that will do me.

Regards........Mark.
Thanks Mark, i need all the help i can get on this as a beginner. Do you know of another that is as equal just incase.

Thanks

Andy