P-47 Thunderbolt 1/8th construction

B

Bluewavestudios

\ said:
Thanks Mark, i need all the help i can get on this as a beginner. Do you know of another that is as equal just incase.Thanks

Andy
Hi Andy - That does depend on your price range - The OS Wankel rotary engine would also fit nicely inside that Cowl. They are still available, ebay may turn up trumps with one for you. Having said that - the majority of engines produced today all seem to be very nicely made - it is just a matter of finding one that fits in your cowl. I would certainly have a look at the Laser engines too as suggested by Grahame (Greyhead). They have been around for a while now so are certainly well established.

Regards.......Mark

First Name
Grahame
I agree that most modellers have their favourite engines; I even know one who swears by MDS!!

As you will have guessed my favourite is Laser and for the last 10 years I’ve used nothing else but don’t take my word for it, checkout the engines used by the “professionals” at the Nats etc. Of course I’m talking about scale models not aerobatic, pylon racing or one of the other exotic branches of our hobby.

In the end it’s a matter of personal preference; just enjoy your modelling. I have to say that I’ve certainly enjoyed your modelling, this is a very interesting thread and it’s going to be a beautiful end result.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
I agree that most modellers have their favourite engines; I even know one who swears by MDS!!As you will have guessed my favourite is Laser and for the last 10 years I’ve used nothing else but don’t take my word for it, checkout the engines used by the “professionals” at the Nats etc. Of course I’m talking about scale models not aerobatic, pylon racing or one of the other exotic branches of our hobby.

In the end it’s a matter of personal preference; just enjoy your modelling. I have to say that I’ve certainly enjoyed your modelling, this is a very interesting thread and it’s going to be a beautiful end result.
Hi Greyhead,

Firstly i would like to thank you for your much appreciated comments, it inspires me even more to think that i am doing such a good job of it. Now as i have said several times... i am a complete beginner to all of this i have yet still to fly anything at all. I have had my Heli since Jan last year and am still waiting to get that off the ground. After talking to several people in the know including yourself. I have managed to save myself the expense of another engine. Being totally ingnorant to the hobby as well as what now seems to be a bit thick. I was told that i can invert the engine with no effect on its operation what so ever. I feel a right wally. The pictures tell it all, a perfect fit. Thanks again for your input and most welcome praise.

Andy

View attachment 18487

View attachment 18488

View attachment 18489

View attachment 18490

View attachment 18491

Engine Cowl 1.jpg

Cowl 2.jpg

Cowl overveiw 1.jpg

Cowl overveiw 2.jpg

Engine position.jpg

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy - That does depend on your price range - The OS Wankel rotary engine would also fit nicely inside that Cowl. They are still available, ebay may turn up trumps with one for you. Having said that - the majority of engines produced today all seem to be very nicely made - it is just a matter of finding one that fits in your cowl. I would certainly have a look at the Laser engines too as suggested by Grahame (Greyhead). They have been around for a while now so are certainly well established.Regards.......Mark
Hi mark,

Thanks for the advice, i will definatly keep it in mind for the next project.

Cheers

Andy

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

I am glad you have your engine problem sorted now, I must admit, when I first saw your pics of the engine mounting, I assumed there was a reason why you had not just mounted it inverted as I could see it fitting perfectly in that way from your pics. I had no idea that you did not know about inverted mounting of engines.

It is probably one of the most common methods used on RC Planes, with the odd exception where an upright engine will go in nicely - eg - Grahame's SE5A (Greyhead). I have used this set up for years and looking at your pics, it fits nicely in yours too. The propshaft is bang on in the right place.

At least you have been able to save your money and the Jug is coming along great now !!

Regards........Mark.

S

Sky Raider

P47 D Thunderbolt Construction 1/8th Scale

Thanks Mark,

I did hit another problem. the rotary dummy engine i built will not fit now as i made it with the cutout for the off set engine. Luckily i didnt bin the topflite one and never cut out for the engine neither. Ok its a bit naff but with a lot of thought and a few extra bits of plastic i think i can make a superb job of it. i will stick on some pics the weekend. Im also going to try to get the final finishing coat on the underside of the fuse and wings, then it will be the upper side a few days after and then im going to add all of the insignia, numbers, stripes ect. all the insignia will be painted on as i think there will be problems with decals when i come to weather the model. Thanks for your comments. I'm really learning a lot as i go along.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

We are getting ever closer to the end now..., saying that, i still have a long way to go with the painting. It is often a requirement to adjust the engine every now and then and i dont want to keep removing the cowl once i have fitted it and i definatly dont want rods sticking out of the side that are often found on models so that you can adjust the settings of the carb. I decided that just like the sevice hatch i installed, i would fit an hatch into the cowl so that i can get to the carb.

You will also see the final coat of grey paint just added to the bottom of the model. It is a bit wet though at the moment hence the glossy shine. Once dry it will be satin finish. I just couldnt wait to stick on some pics. Its a shame though because the batteries went in the camera so i have only a few at the moment.

Andy

View attachment 18517

View attachment 18518

View attachment 18519

View attachment 18520

View attachment 18521

View attachment 18522

View attachment 18523

Carb Access.jpg

Carb Access 2.jpg

Final Bottom coat.jpg

Final bottom coat 2.jpg

Final Bottom coat 3.jpg

Panel close up.jpg

Panel close up 2.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

Now that the camera is back in action im going to show you the finished paint job of the underside of the Jug. This is of course pre insignia painting and decaling and also weathering, but it gives some idea of the panel details and rivits when painted. I will call this stage 1, stage 2 being the Olive drab Upper colour, Stage three being the black and white stripes, stage 4 being insignia and squadren number, stage 5 being squadren badge, stage 6 being the weathering process.

Hope you like stage 1.

Andy

View attachment 18534

View attachment 18535

View attachment 18536

View attachment 18537

View attachment 18538

View attachment 18539

View attachment 18540

View attachment 18541

View attachment 18542

View attachment 18543

View attachment 18544

View attachment 18545

View attachment 18546

View attachment 18547

View attachment 18548

View attachment 18549

View attachment 18550

Aileron Cover detail.jpg

Flap Detail.jpg

Full veiw.jpg

Gun section detail.jpg

Hatch and landing gear.jpg

Oil cooler 2.jpg

Over veiw.jpg

Overlapping panel detail.jpg

Panel detail.jpg

Panel detail 2.jpg

Tail Elevator detail 2.jpg

Tail Section Detail.jpg

Wing detail.jpg

Wing light detail 2.jpg

Wing lights 4.jpg

Wing span 2.jpg

Wing tip detail.jpg

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

Absolutely loving stage 1 - this is looking fantastic - are you sure you are really a beginner as I shudder to think what you would be like as an expert, This model is looking awesome !!

Regards......Mark

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,Absolutely loving stage 1 - this is looking fantastic - are you sure you are really a beginner as I shudder to think what you would be like as an expert, This model is looking awesome !!

Regards......Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the comment. It is honestly my very first model. I struggled at the begining quiet a lot as i didnt know much about the termanology. LE & TE was a total loss to me so that should show you how little i knew. All of this was in the manual and i hadn't got a clue what it meant. Rudder, Fin, Stableiser, i have probably even spelt it wrong.

I must confess though that if i hadn't invested some money into Dave Platts videos i would still be looking at the box. All of my work is a credit to his superbly put together series. I now have about 15 dvds in total and he shows you how to do everything. As you can see, the result is that you get the impession that i have been building for years. He has some 60 years of knowledge and experience under his belt and he is a star to share it with those who buy his dvds. I have watched every one over and over again probably around 10 times each. It all becomes second nature to me now.

I would recomend his dvds to anyone who builds at the bigger end of the scale. Even those who have built for years would benefit.

Thanks again Mark.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

Stage 2 is complete. Here are the latest shot for you to see. We have got the pilot back also. This is of course pre weathering so it will look a whole lot more realistic once we have weatherd the whole model.

Andy

View attachment 18552

View attachment 18553

View attachment 18554

View attachment 18555

View attachment 18556

View attachment 18557

View attachment 18558

View attachment 18559

View attachment 18560

View attachment 18561

View attachment 18562

View attachment 18563

View attachment 18564

View attachment 18565

View attachment 18566

View attachment 18567

View attachment 18568

View attachment 18569

Aileron.jpg

Canopy.jpg

Cockpit.jpg

Cockpit 2.jpg

Elevator.jpg

Flaps and Aileron.jpg

Fuse.jpg

Fuse 2.jpg

Fuse 3.jpg

Fuse 4.jpg

Over veiw.jpg

Service hatch.jpg

Tail section.jpg

tail Veiw.jpg

Turbo Shutter.jpg

Under tail section.jpg

Under veiw.jpg

Wing fillet.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi again gang,

Here are the pics of the final stage of stage 2. Hope you like them. On another subject, for all of those interested, this weekend see the Model show at Weston Park. You can pay on the gate. There are many stalls and lots of flying displays. It is a good day out.

The refreshments are expensive so bring your own. The Beer tents are very reasonable though so convince the misses and get smashed afterwards. What a way to finish the day.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 18574

View attachment 18575

View attachment 18576

View attachment 18577

View attachment 18578

View attachment 18579

View attachment 18580

View attachment 18581

View attachment 18582

Defined 1.jpg

Defined 2.jpg

Defined 3.jpg

Defined 4.jpg

Defined 5.jpg

Defined 6.jpg

Defined 8.jpg

Defined 9.jpg

Definmed 7.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

This installment covers the progress so far on the engine cowl and also the start of the black and white stripes that will be on the plane. The first coat of course is scale white, once dry enough to mask i will add the insignia details and squadren badge etc. This is stage 3, not many more to go now before i weather the jug. It has been quite a slog since i started in October but it has been the most enjoyable thing that i have done to date yet.

Andy

View attachment 18587

View attachment 18588

View attachment 18589

View attachment 18590

View attachment 18591

View attachment 18592

View attachment 18593

View attachment 18594

View attachment 18595

View attachment 18596

View attachment 18597

View attachment 18598

View attachment 18599

View attachment 18600

View attachment 18601

Cowl Pre paint.jpg

Cowl Pre paint 2.jpg

Cowl Primer.jpg

Cowl Primer 2.jpg

Cowl Grey coat.jpg

Cowl Grey Coat 2.jpg

Cowl Grey coat 3.jpg

Cowl Rivited.jpg

Cowl Riveter 2.jpg

Fuse Stripe.jpg

Fuse & Tail Stripe.jpg

Wing Stripe.jpg

Wing Stripe 2.jpg

Cowl Nose color.jpg

Cowl Nose color 2.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Scale fans,

Update on the Jug. Here we are at stage 3 Painting process. The scale white and the scale black is now on the plane. While this has a few days to set well im going to concentrate on the cowl painting. After this will go to the Star & Bar on the wings and fuse. Scale Blue of coarse.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 18631

View attachment 18632

View attachment 18633

View attachment 18634

View attachment 18635

View attachment 18636

View attachment 18637

View attachment 18638

View attachment 18639

View attachment 18640

View attachment 18641

Numbers.jpg

Wing Stripes.jpg

Wimg Veiw.jpg

Wing Stripes and Start of Insignia.jpg

Fuse Stripes.jpg

Wings.jpg

Fuse Stripes 2.jpg

Fin Detail.jpg

Cowl.jpg

Cockpit Veiw.jpg

Over veiw.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

Here is the update on the paint process. The Squad number is now on and so are the Star & Bar on the wings only. I hope to do the fuse tomorrow. I have aslo started on the cowl home straight. Once the cowl is dry i will paint on the personal badge of pilot, George W Rarey. He named the Jug after the birth of his new baby son... DAMONS DEMON. Unfortunatly a couple of weeks later he was killed in action.

Andy

View attachment 18661

View attachment 18662

View attachment 18663

View attachment 18664

View attachment 18665

View attachment 18666

View attachment 18667

View attachment 18668

View attachment 18669

View attachment 18670

View attachment 18671

View attachment 18672

View attachment 18673

Masking Squad Nos.jpg

Masking Squad No 2.jpg

Squad Nos 3.jpg

Squad Number.jpg

Squad No 2.jpg

Squad Veiw.jpg

Squad Veiw 2.jpg

Redy fpr Star & Bar.jpg

Star & Bar prep.jpg

Lower wing Star & Bar paint.jpg

Lower wing Star & Bar.jpg

Upper Wing Star & Bar.jpg

Upper Wing overveiw.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang.

Here are the pics of the final paint job. All that is left to do is hand paint the cowl picture of the Parrot on an 8 ball and the words Damons Demon. Then its on to Stage 4, weathering the plane. Whilst i let all of the paint set up before i start weathering, i am going to use my lathe for the 1st since i brought it about 5 months or so ago. I am going to attempt to make some dummy engines out of ali as the moulded plastic one looks realy naff.

Andy

View attachment 18686

View attachment 18687

View attachment 18688

View attachment 18689

View attachment 18690

View attachment 18691

View attachment 18692

View attachment 18693

View attachment 18694

View attachment 18695

View attachment 18696

use mask 2.jpg

use star.jpg

use tar 2.jpg

Cowl Grey coat final.jpg

Engine Vent & Exahust outlet.jpg

Exhaust Port.jpg

Cowl Top Veiw.jpg

Cowl veiw.jpg

Cowl painted.jpg

Cowl paintrd 2.jpg

Cowl painted 3.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang,

I will carry on with the cowl section as it was the last post and this will complete it apart from the wire wooling process. I will show you this process in the next installment. To finish the engine cowl i needed to add the art work of the pilot George Rarey as explained in the previous post. Here you will see the stages of painting, this has to be hand painted to make sure that it is fuel proof. The paints used are the same as on the plane, made by Klasskote.

Hope you like.

Andy

View attachment 18716

View attachment 18717

View attachment 18718

View attachment 18719

View attachment 18720

View attachment 18721

View attachment 18722

Damons Demon.jpg

Damons Demon 2.jpg

Damons Demon 3.jpg

Damons Demon 5.jpg

Damons Demon 6.jpg

Damons Demon 7.jpg

Damons Demon 8.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Again,

This next installment is stage 4, weathering process. The first part of this stage is to rub the whole plane down with wire wool (medium fine) to give that battle worn look. Once complete i need to give it a light blast of burnt humber and a good wipe down to remove all but what lies behind the rivits and is left in the panel lines and then a blast of ash grey. I will show you this process as i progress with it. The pics below show a before and after and then a general overveiw effect.

Andy

View attachment 18723

View attachment 18724

View attachment 18725

View attachment 18726

View attachment 18727

View attachment 18728

View attachment 18729

View attachment 18730

Wooling before.jpg

Wooling after.jpg

Weathering Stage.jpg

Wire wooling 2.jpg

Wooling 3.jpg

Wooling 4.jpg

Wooling 5.jpg

Wooling 6.jpg

Last edited:
S

Sky Raider

Me agin,

Now the saga of the Topflite drop tank. As you recall earlier in the build i had to scrap the topfilte cockpit and make modifications to the wing bomb release machanisms due to the poof quality of the product. Well guess what... another £16.00 wasted on the Topflite drop tank. Not only did it look poor but once cut out it didnt fit together at all and looked rubbish. So i decided to laminate 3 oblong peices of balsa together to get the thickness and calve into shape, then it was fibre glassed for strength, the tank clamp supports were made and added. Then i used an all purpose model glue to simulate the tank welds, painted and added the filler cap. I think you would agree, it is a far better job than anything Topflite can come up with.

Dont get me wrong, they produce some fantastic planes and kits but the after market add-ons are rubbish, i guess they farm them out for production and then stick their name on them.

Andy

View attachment 18731

View attachment 18732

View attachment 18733

View attachment 18734

View attachment 18735

View attachment 18736

View attachment 18737

View attachment 18738

View attachment 18739

Top flite drop tank.jpg

Drop tank 1.jpg