Richard's Academy/Airfix Hellcat for Simon

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good fix for the wrong mesh :smiling3: You can probably poke through the glue-filled bits with a sharp blade.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow wish I could get my PE type as clean, looks like someone's thrown a bucket of glue !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard. Looking good nice detail
Thank Lee.

Good fix for the wrong mesh :smiling3: You can probably poke through the glue-filled bits with a sharp blade.
Yes Jakko better with a good mesh than a bad mesh. :smiling6: Too delicate to poke so I'll just use my engraver.

Richard,
Nice work on the etch.
Thanks Scottie.

Wow wish I could get my PE type as clean, looks like someone's thrown a bucket of glue !
John, and it's not even PE but foil that was a pain to cut.

Cheers,
Richard

• Wow
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here are more updates done today,

Just some minor stuff on the exterior before I go into the turret like the underside of the ammo box cradle...I sandwiched two pieces of thin plastic card where one was pre-drilled with the eights holes. I added a short piece of stretched sprue for the hinge.

H29.jpg

Moved the antenna guard to the correct position closer to it...

H30.jpg

There was a picture of one of he Hellcats with the rear mudguard still on and it looked good so I cut the kit guards and scrapped the areas where it will be attached for more adhesion for the glue.

H31.jpg

I'll glue this up for the next post.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

I just put this next to the AFV kit and was disappointed that there were two evident disparities between the two. One was the hull width and slope and the other was the position of the main gun.
1. The width and sharp slant of slope on the Academy kit is easily dealt with card and spacer with some putty but I will have to remove the tools from the sides first.
2. The original gun was moved off center 2 inches to the right for easy removal and maintenance. On both the kits they are off center but are both wrong as the Academy kit is short of 2 scale inches, the AFV kit has overshot the 2 inches. I won't attempt to correct them as major work needs to be done to both gun mantlets, its supports and the interior loaders ammo storage box. Both breeches are cantered 45 degrees correctly. I can live with the disparities of the guns. The AFV gun barrel though needs some work...the tapper on the brass barrel looks odd.

Proceeding with the changes tonight.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Some fine surgery going on here.Like John i struggle with p.e.Usually glue meself to the damn stuff.Think Simon would approve of this.
Rich.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie and Richard,
Simon would definitely approve of this but wouldn't have wished me to have it. Am I the first casualty? I normally don't get injured much in my builds but this can't be a coincedance...

20201109_103528.jpg20201109_103643.jpg
Just slicing the tools off the side sponsons produced an accidental jab. Nothing serious and bloody like Simon's squirter. :tears-of-joy: Checked for any sharp ends of the blade had not been left imbedded, some anti-septic cream and plaster and I'm back scratching.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys, I'm doing ok...just a pin prick but the amount of blood it produced was surprising. With Paul now included and more that might get injured we can start a blood bank. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. :smiling4:

I know of Bram Stoker but has Anne Rice's version been made into a movie?

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Updates to the sponsons progress... earlier there was a worry that the Hellcat looked near complete or more than 50% done. Now you'll see how far it is from that. I wonder if Academy made their own scale measurements when planning this production. Simon probably knew it was something he could work his magic on...I'm just skirting the issue.

I scraped as much of the primer off so that the glue could work better.

H32.jpg

Added the 1mm spacer at to top edge and braces for the sides and center which I found later not necessary for the other side. I sanded it to a wedge shape.

H33.jpg

I added another 1mm thick sheet for the outer sides. Now the slant is more vertical

H34.jpg

Re-stuck back the tools and exhaust...

H35.jpg

Next I worked on the rear mud guards to add more spacers because of the new slant of the sponsons.

Cheers,
Richard

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Richard. Glad we have Rick H building Med.Cars on the forum we may need them if this persist. Looking good though