Richard's Academy/Airfix Hellcat for Simon

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow wow wow.
Excellent job Richard.
Rich
Thanks Richard, there's still the interior of the turret to detail like the electrical conduits, gun sight and stowage boxes. Then I can proceed to deck the turret sides with crew gear.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi I'm back while the Oxford's varnish cures,

I continued with the exterior this time it's the turret 50 cal pulpit and the gun lock mechanism.

After shifting the 50 cal to the opposite side of the pulpit ring I added body stabilizing cushions...

H52.jpg

Then I made the bits that are missing from the gun locking mech. with rod and strip plus some bolt heads, the end of the connecting rod is a little long will be cut. That's the exterior now to the interior...

H53.jpg

I made a start on the gun sights...at the moment its just a tube with supports to be made. The bracket over it will be attached to the gun recuperating cylinder. It's made from thick plastic strip and reinforced with Tamiya tube foil. Bolts were added as per reference. The long strip will be wrapped around the tube/sight once the CA anchored end is cured.

H54.jpg

In keeping with Simon's tribute I have used metal sheets other than pewter twice for construction.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
Very nice work always a pleasure to watch you detail your builds.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work Richard. You have a great eye.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Lovely project Richard, nice progress :thumb2:
Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's terribly nice of you chaps Scottie, Tim, Steve and Steven. Scratch building back to 1/35 scale has been a lot better than 1/700. Just finished off the gun-sight and attached it to the gun so it can elevate with it.

Remember in the previous photo the gun-sight was just a tube...well I have added the brackets that hold it and the dials that are for tweaking the sight. Here are two angles...

H55.jpgH56.jpg

This next shot shows it attached to the gun via the overhead bracket in the previous photo. I scraped off the primer on the recuperator cylinder.

H57.jpg

That's all for tonight...gonna catch some zzz's

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Will keep track of your build in case an M18 is ever available in my scale. Your details are extraordinary. PaulE

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The gun sight is brilliant Richard, makes a big difference.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Richard!!..... Sorry,didn`t mean to wake you there!......
That is one very crammed and detailed fighting compartment you`ve achieved there :thumb2: ,
This really is coming along so nicely,i DEFINITELY need to add one to my stash!!
Cheers mate,and glad you are on the mend:smiling:.
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Richard, just had a read through, some brillent work in true Mr T style including the blood letting.
Must seem so large after the 1/ 700 ship.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'll second what Paul E said..........would love to do one of these in 1/87 scale. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim, Paul, Graeme, Andy, John and Rick, compliments appreciated.
I am enjoying this larger scaled scratchbuilding although I don't go overboard( I know Simon loved it down to adding half an mm if it were possible :smiling2:) ...for me what can be seen is good enough and leave the rest well alone. Or even the proportions if not noticeable like the front drivers hatches and covers being slightly squarish or the gun mantlet and position of gun...the former can be covered with water proofing canvas seen on most M-18's and the latter a difference of a few mm. I'd like to see one in braille scale and really like to see others build the M-18.
It'll be a nightmare to replicate another gun-sight for the AFV kit as it doesn't have one either. :tongue-out3:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good morning fellow modelers...last night as I was adding a cylindrical thingy above the gun-sight, I noticed that the sight was sitting too proud of its mount. So I shortened it by half a cm and re-attached it further in...

This is before with the cylinder added...

H58.jpg

...and after shortening by removing half a cm from the back. Prying the bracket from the recuperator was a bit of a challenge...didn't know the combination of liquid cement and CA was such a strong bond with such a small surface area of attachment.

H59.jpg

In reality the sight sits much further in...maybe about one or two mm but I was just happy to leave it as that.

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've found "The Possible" is always better than "The Perfect". PaulE

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Seriously excellent work.

ATB

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys...Paul, works for me too.

Worked on the interior a bit more today with adding containers to the rear bustle cavity and grenade containers on the left wall...

H60.jpgH61.jpg

Then I started on the electrical conduit boxes...there's a seam line I need to cover up. Wires and connectors will be made from different gauge of wire.

H62.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Moving that sight further back looks fine. Mind you it must have been a heart stopping moment prising it off!
Jim