Richard's Academy/Airfix Hellcat for Simon

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys, I hope Rick H has a fleet of them. :smiling6: And Jim, it might look neat but there are still gaps and filler to be applied then you'll see how messy it can get...

Here's the rear mud guard fitted with plastic strip shims.

H36.jpg

It's too white to see the thin gaps at the top of the spacer and sheet that will need filling in...

H37.jpg

From this angle you can see the gap to the superstructure to be filled.

H38.jpg

Here's the messy part...I like to layer in the putty and sand off once and for all and this E7 putty lets me do that as it dries quickly layer upon layer and hardens with the consistency of wax so scraping and sanding is easy. It doesn't flake off...the industrial thinner that I use to thin it gives a good bite and hold into the plastic. I have put some putty onto the accidental cuts and scratches that the blade made while cleaning up the edges.

H39.jpg

Toldja it was messy...all it needs is a blade to slice off the extra hardened putty and the rest to wet sand.

H40.jpg

All the deep scratches will be filled in by the putty. I had to remove the exhaust tube that was in the way. I have to correct the lamp guards as reference shows them different...the AFV ones are correct. I'm doing these changes because I have the AFV kit to compare it with and may put both of them in the same diorama but you can still build a passable Hellcat from the Academy kit.

H41.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good fix for the sides. However, if I feel the need to build an M18 again, I think I’ll buy another AFV Club kit instead of this one :smiling3:
Thanks Jakko, however the Academy kit was the first, earliest and only kit that came out at the time of the Hellcat. Even then there were some errors noticed but nothing to compare but from references. Then the AFV kit arrived but by then most modelers would have built the Academy kit. I remember some looked quite good in dioramas hiding in ambush so you didn't quite see the errors in shape easily. Now you don't see much of both kits in LHS shelves anymore. Now Airfix has one which I'm guessing is a re-boxed Academy kit since the other 1/35 range of armour are also re-boxed Academy moulds.

Hi Richard
Sure does go through a messy stage. It will all come good I'm sure.
Jim
Jim, like they say it isn't over till the fat lady sings so the mess will go eventually after sanding and a coat of primer.

With that here are pics after the sanding...looks a bit neater.

H42.jpgH43.jpg

Here shows how the E7 putty stays in the scratch grooves after the wet sanding...reminds me of Squadron green putty. The grooves were made by my blade running wild while scraping the edges.

H44.jpg

The original plastic is olive in colour so you can see the different materials used just to get the rear end of the kit to look right and I'm just saying shapewise.

H45.jpg

One long scratch covered with putty. All the handling has bent the grill supports so will need straightening again.

H46.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A good bit of work done there Richard, Matron has lent me her First Aid Kit should you have a need for sutures, sticking plaster.......might even be a nip of brandy in there if private Hook hasn't got to it.:face-with-head-bandage::dizzy::tongue-out3:
Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Rick, I might take a swig on that brandy when I cut into the Oxford code stencils...been putting that off for a while now.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No building tonight...sinus attack so I'm dripping, sneezing and taking paracetamol for the headaches and sleeping early.

Night night,
Richard

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That puttying and sanding has been worth while.
With that here are pics after the sanding...looks a bit neater.
Looks a lot neater :tongue-out3:
Hope you feel better soon. I'm a great believer in sleep when you feel under the weather.
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear the sinus' are acting up. Hope you're feeling better soon. I have been playing ketchup and your work is looking very good Buddy. Oh, and speaking of ketchup, that's what it looks like on the tissue. Sure you didn't lose a drop while eating your french fries and it fell on your finger. Just wondering......

Mods are really fine so far and right up there with the scratchy butt work. BTW, what is E7 putty? Oh, and I thought your primer was snow at first, but remembered that in your neck of the woods, it doesn't snow........

Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim and Allen,

I guess the dust from all that sanding must have caused the sinuses to act up. I was surprised how vermilion it looked on the tissue...I'm thinking it's been diluted by the many blood tests I took during my operation. :smiling6: Haven't actually painted the tank...the white is actually primer straight from the can. Sorry to disappoint that it's not snow but a lot of references on the Hellcat show them at the Battle of the Bulge.
My sinuses lasts only 24hrs so I was back at the bench mostly staring but managed to correct the headlamp guards from this...

H48.jpg

To this...

H49.jpg

I don't know much about my E7 filler. It was brought in by my LHS and I only bought one bottle which is still in use today.

H47.jpg

If anybody knows who manufactures it is most welcomed to post here.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys and thanks on E7 info...it's formulated for Gunpla guys no wonder its so refined and easy to use.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Not much fun Sinus problems.When im sanding my busts and using Epoxy i usually end up head and eyes hurting,Hot and sneezy.
Nice Work once again.
Rich

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Richard,
Looks like your putting a fair amount of effort into get this Hellcat to look more refined.....very nice :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard, Si and Paul...thanks,

With resin dust you need to be more careful when sanding and must wear a mask and a pair of goggles. The dust is inert.

Refined dust you mean :tears-of-joy: I'm only trying to get it anatomically correct and leave the finer stuff alone for the experts. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just touched on a little bit today with the 50 cal mount and ring. I changed the position of it and raised the cradle higher with added plastic strip...

H50.jpg

Now both tanks should look nearly identical externally.

H51.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve, normally I don't do anything to armour kits except festoon them with gear but this particular kit called for corrections to it's shape. If there were marks or version upgrades that changed the basic shape I can understand but the only major change was the shifting of the gun to the right by 2 inches, tilting the breech section to a 45 degree angle which deleted the bulges to both sides of the turret. It spent only roughly less than a year in service and was removed after the doctrine of tank destroyers ceased in the US military. I think it was rushed by Academy to get it out first. From certain angles it looks like a Hellcat and if you deck it with crew equipment and bedrolls it'll pass.

Cheers,
Richard