Rick's 1-87 Roco/Komo SU-100's

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I gave the cast gun mount and mantle the Mr. Surfacer treatment......then stippled both with a stiff bristle brush to bring up the pigment to simulate the rough casting. I used 500 for the bigger mount and 1000 for the mantle. Who says your turned gun barrels have to be aluminum? Not I......used a length of plastic tubing chucked up in my drill press with a snug fit piece of music wire down the bore....supported the muzzle end in a bench block with the proper dia. hole......flat file and a few revolutions later........voila!P1012064.JPGP1012065.JPGP1012066.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I gave the cast gun mount and mantle the Mr. Surfacer treatment......then stippled both with a stiff bristle brush to bring up the pigment to simulate the rough casting. I used 500 for the bigger mount and 1000 for the mantle. Who says your turned gun barrels have to be aluminum? Not I......used a length of plastic tubing chucked up in my drill press with a snug fit piece of music wire down the bore....supported the muzzle end in a bench block with the proper dia. hole......flat file and a few revolutions later........voila!View attachment 445440View attachment 445441View attachment 445442
Looks like you got the rough cast look anyway nice job. Those hitchhikers n me at have to move around but I like them better than the grill details

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Loving it Bro!!! Now give the peepers a rest for a while. You don't want to be crashing into any door frames now, would we??? Really fine work going on here Rick.............

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Lee.......well, it is after all, a GB for Rooskie Armor......those hitch hikers are just along for the ride!! :tongue-out3: ;) Rick H.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm OK Allen, I'm presently concentrating on boxing in all the cutouts I made on the engine decks so as to give the impression there is more behind the grills than just "air". ...then its on to the rest of the details....did you notice the molded in equipment boxes on the mudguards? sad........Thanks for stopping by and good luck with your build. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Andrew.....Just trying to make 'em a little more presentable. This particular brand of model is lacking in so many areas, they just "beg" for upgrades! ;) Rick H.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Incredible work as always rick ,love the mantlets ( see , ive only just started my armour build and im getting all the lingo already :smiling5: ) . The barrels look brilliant and not an easy thing to do in this tiny scale . I think the hitch hikers are only huddling over the engine grilles to keep their arses warm :smiling5:. Keep up the amazing work .cheers tony

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Tony.....I really am glad you are enjoying your build I hope you will continue with more armor builds in the future. Glad you stopped by and like my "mini" efforts ;) Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's the latest.....test fitted screens, scratched up some equipment boxes made up some fuel vent lines (at least that's what they look like) made up some proper tailpipes.....oh, I roughed up the armor plate by applying liquid cement and lightly stippling it, then knocked it down with a sanding stick to create the slightly rough surface. while the glue was still wet I used a dental pick and created a weld bead where the cupola is welded to the side plate of the fighting compartment. and test fitted the guns and their mounts.
Rick H.P1012083.JPGP1012084.JPGP1012085.JPGP1012072.JPGP1012073.JPGP1012070.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Starting to come together now Rick. Love the extra details you’ve added. It’s lifted these several levels :thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Totally missed this one Rick. Stunning work on such a small scale. Really enjoying watching them come together. Keep up the great work my friend