Rick's 1-87 Roco/Komo SU-100's

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can't believe is in the scale it is Rick with all that extra work on the rear deck. Going to be a Dogs Award alright .:nerd:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
They suddenly don’t look like ancient models anymore :smiling3:
Thanks Jakko, the big let down on these models is the tracks....I don't have any replacement resin ones for this type of vehicle. Thank God for the "Rasputitsa" it will cover them nicely.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Can't believe is in the scale it is Rick with all that extra work on the rear deck. Going to be a Dogs Award alright .:nerd:
Thanks JR.....I had forgotten how much I had to do to the T-34 to make a reasonable facsimile of a model.....probably wouldn't have done two at a time....at least I'm chipping away at the stash!!:tongue-out3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's another shot of one of the equipment boxes that was built after removing the molded in ones. since the original boxes were part of the mud guard I was forced to file them down just to the top of the "lip" on the mud guard.....then build around what was left and setting back the front side of the box just enough to preserve the lip of the mudguard......PITA!!P1012087.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. The equipment box is a classy touch as well as the other details.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Jakko and Lee.......I'm presently working on the aux. fuel tanks as the kit tanks are little molded blobs that have no similarity to anything, remotely resembling, an auxiliary fuel tank. Glad you both dropped in. Lee I hope you start your build soon and Jakko that halftrack you are working on is the Bomb!
Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks Jakko and Lee.......I'm presently working on the aux. fuel tanks as the kit tanks are little molded blobs that have no similarity to anything, remotely resembling, an auxiliary fuel tank. Glad you both dropped in. Lee I hope you start your build soon and Jakko that halftrack you are working on is the Bomb!
Rick H.
Yeah I hope to get going on it this week. I’ve just been feeling bad this week

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
There certainly is enough going on in the world to make one feel that way......hope you get things sorted out and can get a little bench time in. :thumb2: Rick H.
Thanks Rick been having a lot of Respiratory problems I had to start talking my inhaler again with this post Covid I feel like a part of my life is gone.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Got the fuel cans built and finished up the rear deck......need to sand down the frame work for the screen as it is too tall.....will look better once reduced in height......also got some curved mud guards as the flat ones were very skimpy and not very accurate. Next up I need to figure out the brackets and straps to mount the fuel cans......the captured vehicle is the only one to get these as the Rooskie hitch hikers will be all over the other one. Rick H.P1012093.JPGP1012092.JPGP1012094.JPGP1012095.JPG

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not much to show, still faffing around with the fuel cans and brackets....once I have figured out how to attach them I'll get 'em mounted up on the captured SU. Here's a shot of the tow hooks and also the texturing of the final drive housings...to give 'em that rough cast look that was so evident on these vehicles. Also, I sanded down the frame work around the rear grills to give a more scale effect. Rick H.P1012097.JPGP1012098.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the fuel cans and brackets....once I have figured out how to attach them I'll get 'em mounted up on the captured SU
The real things sat in pieces of steel with a semi-circular cutout for the tanks. You could saw partway into the tanks in two places and glue a piece of plastic card or strip into each cut — if you can saw accurately, this will be easier than trying to make very small brackets that the tank actually fits into.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I am actually trying to create the brackets by off center punching of plastic sheet stock.....hope it works or I might take up your idea. :thumb2: Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Rick , fuel drums look ok as does the rest of the build. Keep it going .