Rick's Cornerstone 1-87 scale P-51 Mustang

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Your making good progress Rick, liking that engineers table , bet you've had that some time .
Thanks JR.........and yes I have had this surface plate for ages. It was old when I got it......had it resurfaced in a machine shop about 40 years ago and have been building models on it ever since it is absolutely dead flat and level. just perfect for the scale I work in.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Chris.........I'll feel a lot better when I get round to painting a red tail on this one. ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks like that all closed up nicely. Nmf, a bit of a challenge, but so satisfying.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Colin and Tony for the nice comments.....I now have the canopy on and masked. Hoping to have enough time to get a base coat on it today. will post up a pic. or two later on.:smiling2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Update......no paint today, broke the tail wheel off getting this ready to paint........glued back on but will now have to dry before I put my big mitts on it again...... Thanks Tim, it will look even better if I can keep from knocking stuff off of it!:angry:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After getting "Whizzzzzzzed" past by Mr. 570, I figgered I better quit with the outside chores for a bit and get some black Alclad base on this before it "fossilizes" into some sort of petrified whatever......so, black on!! My first time spraying Alclad base and it went on great at 15 psi. Someone mentioned that this stuff is sensitive to fingerprints and smudging......any thoughts on how long I should leave it before I do the top coat. Also I have a red nose, wingtips, a red tail, two yellow wing bands and an OD green glare shield to spray......would one mask and shoot those first or mask off after the metallic top coat and then proceed? Not a Wingy and not familiar with the top coat adhesion properties. Also curious as to what to clear coat this stuff with to protect it after decals are on.P1012429.JPGP1012430.JPG

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I posted up a couple days ago about this.......and am a little hesitant as to how to proceed. My insides are telling me to go ahead and top coat it, let that dry and then mask and shoot the other colors. My only concern is about how well the top coat will lend itself to masking and handling.........any takers?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I can't help either, Rick.
I just brushed on the Vallejo Air aluminum paint straight onto the virgin plastic. Because I'm impatient and too clumsy to mask stuff, I paint everything freehand.

Which is about as much use as a tit on a bull, when it comes to answering your question...... :upside:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
24 hours will be enough between the base coat and the top coat Rick. Never had any trouble masking over Alclad myself, but I know some have. I would give it a couple of days to harden off first before masking with Tamiya tape if you are unsure.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I can't help either, Rick.
I just brushed on the Vallejo Air aluminum paint straight onto the virgin plastic. Because I'm impatient and too clumsy to mask stuff, I paint everything freehand.

Which is about as much use as a tit on a bull, when it comes to answering your question...... :upside:

'ats ok 570 at least I got a rise out of you. :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
24 hours will be enough between the base coat and the top coat Rick. Never had any trouble masking over Alclad myself, but I know some have. I would give it a couple of days to harden off first before masking with Tamiya tape if you are unsure.
Thanks Tim......been a couple days since I got the base on this so I'll give it a few more days after I top coat just to be on the safe side.;)

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Rick

Sorry for behind on this. That's coming on very nicely indeed.

ATB.

Andrew