Rick's Cornerstone 1-87 scale P-51 Mustang

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow!! Great comments one and all.......I'm feeling a lot better about this build now that the Red is on. Good advice 570, but that Alclad I put on is thin as water about 5-10% pigment and the rest of the bottle is vehicle to get it out of the airbrush. I have brush worked silver in the past and if you don't faff around with it too much it looks like chrome plating when dry. Tim, Semi gloss after decaling might just be a good option....will file it away till I get the "stickers" on this birdie. I still have the yellow wing stripes to go and that's it for basic colors. Then comes all the detail painting and finally the decals..........stay tuned.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking very nice there Rick.....
..... That Red tail really sets it off,I'm most envious!! :smiling3:
...... Not sure about you finishing last in the GB , you're certainly neck and neck with me as we both head into the home straight ;)
Cracking stuff mate!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL DONE Rick the tang is really set off with the red on but whats this yellow thats got to go on as i cant remember seein any yellow on them birds in that film
BUT comin on really nice
chrisb

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hi Colin, I did consider doing just as you suggested but opted to go ahead as the black coat looked rather smooth compared to the bare plastic.......it showed up in spades when I top coated it though! :angry:
I feel your pain - I've had Alclad do that to me. Alclad is brilliant stuff, I love it. It's easy to apply, but the preparation is just so important.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
But I think it's the spraying that causes the finish. Many times I've seen spray jobs looking the way you have observed on your Mustang.
Your observation is correct about spraying paints in general, but Alclad is like spraying water. It would be very difficult to create an orange peel effect with Alclad. Even when I started using the stuff many moons ago, the orange peel effect wasn't an issue.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That looks tidy, Rick.
Re. my previous post, I didn't realise the aircraft was so small, and shows my ignorance of Alcad!

All models photo'd that close are bound to show even a gnat's eyeball on the surface finish. ;)

Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Chris, I'm not sure if all the "Redtails" were painted alike but the two ref. Pics. I'm using for this build show a yellow wing band that wraps all the way around the wing on each side. I'm not trying to model a particular aircraft but would like it to be as generally accurate as possible. Thanks for dropping by ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Colin, I have definitely learned from this little experiment how critical the prep is for Alclad....just didn't consider having a gravel road for a model is all. The next one of these I build will have a paint job instead of bare metal

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wing bands are on and I started some of the details......waiting for yellow bands to dry on the Gear doors. Broke the RH MLG strut off, AGAIN!! so when gear doors are dry I will reassemble the gear with the main mounts installed and gear doors in place, thus giving the errant Gear a three point anchor instead of a single point. While unmasking from painting the yellow bands I managed to inadvertently remove the canopy.....a happy accident as it turns out, I noticed that I hadn't got good coverage on the windscreen structure so touched 'em up with a brush. Here's where it stands presently.P1012444.JPGP1012445.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOOKIN GOOD Rick love plane in their natural metal finish an you are doin a very good job of it apart from breaking bits off lol an yes it happens to the best of us as when im building bits for tiger i have dropped the bit i was building an then had to find the broken bit to reglue from the carpet monster but this tang will really look good onece you get the stars an bars on an could you please take a pic of it when done against your hand as 1/87th scale is a scale i havnt heard of before so i can see the size of the tang but very good work so far boyo
ATB to you Sir
chrisb

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Morning Chris, next time I shoot a pic. I'll hold in me palm. Dimensionally it is 4 7/16" nose to tail and the wingspan is 5 1/8".
All the models I build are in 1/87 scale. Hope this helps and glad you are liking the build so far. Now it's time for some much needed sleep........see you in about 8 hrs. :sleeping: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SLEEP ...:thinking:oh yea 7 hrs behind us an dont you go dreamin of them buxom wenches lol:rolling: :thinking: as i do but dont tell jen lol :rolling::smiling: as last night watched a benny hill show an there was plenty in that :rolling: ;) :smiling::smiling:

chrisb

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Decals are on, will let them set up .....clear coat 'em and then do final assembly and repairs. Maybe I can get this finished BEFORE the deadline........'twould be nice to hold hands wif MR. Smiff and celebrate Last on Parade! :tongue-out3: ;) In case yer wondering why I'm holding this in my hand, It's because "Floaty Boaty" Chris wanted to see how big? 1/87 scale is, so there's my grubby little paw with it's tiny treasure onboard.P1012446.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Decals are on, will let them set up .....clear coat 'em and then do final assembly and repairs. Maybe I can get this finished BEFORE the deadline........'twould be nice to hold hands wif MR. Smiff and celebrate Last on Parade! :tongue-out3: ;) In case yer wondering why I'm holding this in my hand, It's because "Floaty Boaty" Chris wanted to see how big? 1/87 scale is, so there's my grubby little paw with it's tiny treasure onboard.View attachment 466044
Now all we’ve got to do is work out how big your hand is Rick. Looks great, by the way.