S model 1/72 3.7 cm PaK 36 Auf Renault UE build (Simon T tribute group build)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tim
Very interesting. Appreciate the extra time this detailed posting takes. Little men look great.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Learning a lot here Tim....what will you use over the top coat to protect the finish?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
Very interesting. Appreciate the extra time this detailed posting takes. Little men look great.
Jim
Thanks Jim. It takes far longer than the painting, though that does slow down a little. as you get to the more detailed stuff. I’d still say no more than 15 minutes each actual painting so far....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Learning a lot here Tim....what will you use over the top coat to protect the finish?
Hi Rick
As these are gaming figures they will get a top coat of Klear followed by a coat of Matt varnish. If there are bright metallics on the figure (not needed on these) I would then paint them in last to preserve the shine.

D

Deleted member 7181

More great stuff Tim, thanks.

It certainly shows how useful a wet palette is for this kind of thing.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
More great stuff Tim, thanks.

It certainly shows how useful a wet palette is for this kind of thing.
Yep, a wet palette is a great tool for acrylic painting. I find it indispensable for a one-off or small batches of figures. If I was painting a larger group though (24 or more for big battalions games) I’d use a dry palette for the base colour and gradually lighten the mix.....I’d do all of one item, say the trousers, half a dozen at a time with different base colours. I’d then then mix the figures up and perhaps do the jackets In the same way.... Working that way you get variations into a unit but minimise the time spent on the painting process.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I know someone who wanted to paint all his 40K troops individually rather than assembly-line fashion like you describe, in essence because he fancied himself a bit of an artist. Fine, if you’ve got, say, a Space Marine army with a couple dozen figures. He, though, played Imperial Guard with tons of them :rolling:

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Tim for the tip about drying the brush, will try to remember .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I know someone who wanted to paint all his 40K troops individually rather than assembly-line fashion like you describe, in essence because he fancied himself a bit of an artist. Fine, if you’ve got, say, a Space Marine army with a couple dozen figures. He, though, played Imperial Guard with tons of them :rolling:

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming :smiling3:
Did he ever finish Jakko? I painted about 250 fifteen mil ACW rebels last year and worked out a way to get variety in while still using the “it’s Tuesday so I’m painting blue trousers” batch paint method. I prepped and mounted them in batches of 30, five to a popsicle stick, and then more or less randomly worked through with the chosen colours.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Did he ever finish Jakko?
I don’t think he ever did, though I haven’t played 40K since at least two editions ago, so I’ve not seen his army in years. Your method is much more viable to actually getting a painted army on the table, and is much like the one I usually use for this sort of thing — the main difference is I don’t tend to go in for varying colours :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hello to those that are still awake.....I thought I’d illustrate the highlight and shade on the uniforms because it’s easier to see than on the trousers.....

First up, as I said, I “frame out” the jacket area before painting. This adds the darkest shadow and delineates the various colours.
FAE1530F-C662-4FB1-A6F1-3BB7DE14CA94.jpeg
This guy‘s jacket has been framed. I’ve painted around the cuffs, collar, bottom of the arms, and bottom of the jacket. The flat bit at the bottom of the jacket adjacent to the legs (not visible here, sorry) is also painted out in the dark shade.

4D93FDDB-03E1-4C32-93B8-8A017FC6B8AA.jpeg
This guy’s jacket has been under painted in the shade colour. I dilute this to make it a little transparent. It needs to get into the folds and pocket edges etc. Patchy coverage of the rest is fine.

45D3561A-6D2D-411C-9E25-D295B8D9E06A.jpeg
This guy has had the base coat put on. If you look closely up you can see I’ve started to outline detail with it, and to emphasise volumes on the shoulders and top of the arms etc.... Again I use this paint fairly diluted so it is transparent. Remember to start the stroke at the area of leas coverage as well. For the top of the arm, for example, this means I’m brushing “upwards”.

448B3011-F7A6-448A-976A-716BC1104CA1.jpeg
Lastly I use the highlight colour (diluted as before) to really bring out the details. The pockets, cuffs, and collar can be brought out from the jacket this way. It can also make the arms look 3D rather than flat.
05E61214-41AB-4D37-86FD-212C9242C793.jpeg
One from the back, showing creases and shoulder blades etc.

I won’t show the palette as these are all previous mixes. You can add more variety to the finish by using darks and highlights from the other mixes. This one, for example, is in the Russian green basic colour and shade, but the highlight is the one made up from the Field Grey mix. By working like this all the figures will be “of a piece” but exhibit the variation seen in real units.

Next job is to get all the figures to the same point, then I’ll start on the equipment. Not long to go now!

As always all comments and questions welcome....

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
:thumb2:
Hi Tim
I'm going to have to go back over this and make notes :thumb2: Age has knackered my memory :rolling: Certainly a very effective and yet straightforward approach.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
:thumb2:
Hi Tim
I'm going to have to go back over this and make notes :thumb2: Age has knackered my memory :rolling: Certainly a very effective and yet straightforward approach.
Jim
No probs Jim. Glad you’re enjoying the blog. You’ve got it easy though. You only have to remember what I write. I have to remember why I do things like I do......and then remember to take the right pictures then write it down....I’ll try to do a short summary listing the order of battle at the end of the figure painting stage.....needs to be fairly soon though, I’ve nearly forgotten what the vehicles look like...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Tim for the latest set of updates. Got a bit behind on this so will have a proper read in the week.

ATB.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Well Damn Tim,

That's one excellent SBS you've done up Sir. Thank you for taking the time to post it up. I too, Like Jimbo, will have to re-read it and save it away for use when I finally get up the cahonas nerves to sit down and paint a figure. Between you and PDiddy, it might just work out with some good results..........

Prost
Allen "Thick as a Brick"

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well Damn Tim,

That's one excellent SBS you've done up Sir. Thank you for taking the time to post it up. I too, Like Jimbo, will have to re-read it and save it away for use when I finally get up the cahonas nerves to sit down and paint a figure. Between you and PDiddy, it might just work out with some good results..........

Prost
Allen "Thick as a Brick"
Hi Allen. Thanks for the kind words. I’m trying to show it isn’t difficult to get good results, just needs an understanding of the basics and a planned approach. Mind you, I’m not working anywhere near PDiddy standards here. Big figures need a different approach.....
Love the Tull reference by the way, one of my favourites. I’ve got that album on vinyl with the proper eight page newspaper sleeve. Do not see me rabbit...Gerald Bostock’s finest moment....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Tim, Mine too and a lot of others. I have the original St. Cleve Chronicle fold out album too and had a buy a newer copy of the album (without it), as I wore the original one out, playing it...Still got over 400 pieces of vinyl, many of which I want to eventually copy into MP3 as you can't even get some of them on CD, anywhere. Ever heard of Cat Mother and the All Night News Boys or The Electric Prunes???

I'll stop now as I could go on and on over music..................."Rock is My Life and This is My Song"

Prost
Allen