Scotties Rolls Royce

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Y'know, I'm looking at this beast and thinking, 'that's a bit odd'.
So, for why I shall explain
Rolls-Royce 24 pattern, by the wheels - many of them in army service were so clapped out by 1940 the armour was put onto Fordson chassis, which are slightly longer in the wheelbase, but the hubs are distinctly different - but no-one models the Fordson in anything other than 1/72
Later turret with the Boyes A/T rifle, hmm okay, but the Lewis gun on the Scarff ring should make it an RAF job. Army vehicles usually had a turret Lewis on a pintel mount. But, an RAF one in Caunter scheme? I've got one picture of a RAF Fordson in Caunter - it's a thing of beauty
So odd, unusual, but not impossible - I'd love to see what Meng based it on
And did they say R-R because of licensing, like that Modern middle-eastern pick-up (not) a Toyota honest?
Still, it's Caunter... ALL desert vehicles must be Caunter!

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looks like Graeme just took the last chair so I'll just sit here on the floor Paul.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I like the look of this build, I'll pull up a chair.
Graeme, welcome aboard mate.
Looking forward to it
Mick, good to see you.
Y'know, I'm looking at this beast and thinking, 'that's a bit odd'.
So, for why I shall explain
Rolls-Royce 24 pattern, by the wheels - many of them in army service were so clapped out by 1940 the armour was put onto Fordson chassis, which are slightly longer in the wheelbase, but the hubs are distinctly different - but no-one models the Fordson in anything other than 1/72
Later turret with the Boyes A/T rifle, hmm okay, but the Lewis gun on the Scarff ring should make it an RAF job. Army vehicles usually had a turret Lewis on a pintel mount. But, an RAF one in Caunter scheme? I've got one picture of a RAF Fordson in Caunter - it's a thing of beauty
So odd, unusual, but not impossible - I'd love to see what Meng based it on
And did they say R-R because of licensing, like that Modern middle-eastern pick-up (not) a Toyota honest?
Still, it's Caunter... ALL desert vehicles must be Caunter!
Steve, cheers mate for the info but I never get to tied up in the facts I just build for fun within reason. There is an air force option which I might go for but that isn't a caunter finish so not sure yet.
Looks like Graeme just took the last chair so I'll just sit here on the floor Paul.
Ron glad you could make it. Hang on I have some folding chairs, i can't have honoured guests sitting on the floor especially when the rabble are comfy.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Paul, you're right - it is possible to do too much research, and then you never get anywhere
Or is that just me?
Often best go with first plan, but always to be aware that, sometimes, the manufacturers don't do the research either!
Caunter Caunter Caunter...

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Scottie
The etch comes with the kit
Mike.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
These might be of use
RR24 001.jpg
This is the much later turret, interim between the one a t the back of the column and the later open 'barbette'
RR interior 001.jpg

RAF Fordson caunter 001.jpg
So, here's the RAF Fordson in Caunter

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul, you're right - it is possible to do too much research, and then you never get anywhere
Or is that just me?
Often best go with first plan, but always to be aware that, sometimes, the manufacturers don't do the research either!
Caunter Caunter Caunter...
Steve, I think your right, hats off to people that do the research and take the time to make things 100% correct but within reason if it looks right to me then that's good enough. Do I take it you would like to see the Caunter scheme? ;) :smiling:
Scottie
The etch comes with the kit
Mike.
Hi Mike the etch with the kit is just the spokes for the early wheels I honestly can't remember the name of this etch I will have to look it up.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's good to be back Scottie, just started back at work after 3 months off, mixture of sickness, holidays and incompetence by our health care company so there's a lot to catch up on.
Mick, glad to hear all that is behind you, what's on the bench at the moment?.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Finally managed to cut some plastic. The chassis is quite basic I was going to look at adding some detail but none of this will be seen later so I will save my efforts for later.

DSCF2906.JPG

One thing I have done is removed the front hubs and steering arm and repositioned them to give a bit of "steer" when this is dry the linkages will also need modifying to allow for the new positions.

DSCF2907.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice.......adds a bit of character. ;) Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Chassis looks fine and if it won't be seen it really isn't worth over detailing it. Turning the steering slightly can make quite a difference so that is worthwhile.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice.......adds a bit of character. ;) Rick H.
Rick, thanks mate I will probably add a bit of detail to it later.
Hi Scottie
Chassis looks fine and if it won't be seen it really isn't worth over detailing it. Turning the steering slightly can make quite a difference so that is worthwhile.
Jim
Jim, Don't let Arytom here you lol. Luckily the steering is very basic so it was quite easy to do but it does look better than straight ahead.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Mick, glad to hear all that is behind you, what's on the bench at the moment?.
Quite a bit of dust actually :hungry: I've been painting some figures for someone for a wargaming army but I'm also plodding along with the 1/24 scale artic tractor unit but that is a struggle as there is so much cleaning up and badly moulded parts but I'll get there.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A little bit of detail has been added to the front axle as this can be seen.
DSCF2910.JPG

The radiator grill covers were fitted with the closing levers.

DSCF2911.JPG

on the back doors I decided for a bit of interest I would open up a pistol port. When I drilled through the plastic was very thick so it was thinned down on the inside then the port cover was scratched and added. The rivet detail was continued around the turret ring.

DSCF2914.JPG

The etch visor was added and detailed with rivets, the closing lever was added as well.

DSCF2912.JPG

DSCF2913.JPG

Finally the etch comes with some very nice wood detailed parts for the stowage area this will have to be painted very carefully so as not to loose the wood grain.

DSCF2908.JPG

cheers for looking
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Great looking added details. I like the pistol port open. How come the rivet detail around the turret ring was incomplete?
Jim

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
I'm not sure why it is missing it may not need to be there its hard to see from my references in some I think it is there. Anyway you know me when did I ever build anything that was accurate lol.