Shenanigans 5: Tamiya PzKpfw IV Ausf D

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Peter,
Chair pulled up, trouble is by the time it get comfy you have already finished them:smiling:
Thinking the same meself, box opened - go to bed - model finished, I'm beginning to think there is a night shift hard at work....

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko - Cheers, Yes I can see how that could happen, and where our friend probably went wrong. It took some figuring out, but it fitted correctly.
Yours seems to be right, with the front deck behind the bow plate rather than on top of it — apparently, the two hull halves go together both ways.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
box opened - go to bed - model finished, I'm beginning to think there is a night shift hard at work....
It is a Tamiya kit, which are not exactly known for their poor fit, and these old ones (this one is from, what, 1975?) have much of the detail moulded into the larger parts at that.

D

Deleted member 6559

Mike - It's a pretty easy kit with just a few twiddly bits. Strictly a daylight modeller.

Jakko - It won't actually fit properly with the deck on top of the bow plate - messes up the fit at the back and means that the top of the hull won't meet the bottom half.

And as you say, not brain surgery.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Good evening Peter,
Great to see you tackle the classic Big T pzIV.....a true golden oldie.
One of the very first kits I built, probably the same for many of us I’m sure!

Admire your ability to build so neatly and so quickly:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Si - It was my first armour kit when I re-started the hobby. Seems like the World and his Wife have built this one.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great progress with the Pz IV, I prefer to paint the tools on-board, but you will still finish a light year ahead of the IV F2 I am working on!

The figures look very nice, the heads look OK too.

I haven't used Sovereign heads before, it will good to get your feedback on them.

A simple base to finish?

Have a good day with the paint, now the build is finished?

Its going to be a nice few days, with good light for very small figure painting?

Regards

Steve H

D

Durk

Hi Si - It was my first armour kit when I re-started the hobby. Seems like the World and his Wife have built this one.

Hi Peter, not sure about the wife, but I built this one as well on re-entering the hobby very many moons ago:upside:. Made an Afrika Korps version out of it.

Good luck with the weathering and the figures, looking forward to see how you finish them.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Right got here in time I think , morning all .
Peter it will be interesting to what you think of those figures and heads .
Is that kettle still leaking.:smiling3:
John .
Just about to get up !

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - My method with the tools is to paint them black, fix them in place, then paint them on board. I haven't thought about a base yet and I've a feeling that I may well extend this into a bigger dio with one other vehicle at least.

Durk - My wife hasn't made it either! Looks like everyone else has though!

John - Yep. Kettle's still leaking - I wonder why we don't get a new one?

OK, the latest:

I always find that weathering seems to go quickly at first, then gets slower and slower as adjustments are made. I didn't use any dark washes this time as the base colour was very dark, but I did finish off by outlining the detail in thinned black.

I also used a pigment called Oily Steel, a Vallejo colour sent to me with some others by Richard Pearce. I used it in place of my usual graphite to give a rubbed metallic look to some of the surfaces.

The next stage will be to add some stowage and the spare track.

The figures have also arrived (courtesy the ever speedy Historex):

They look very nice indeed. The reason for ordering the head set was to have an alternative to the beret-wearing one, but an alternative was already included (doh!).

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
What can anyone say other than superb painting, again !
John.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Lovely painted Peter, great to see another panzer IV build, never can get enough of those ;D...

I also plan to build a panzer IV after my current T-34 build is finnished. So I'm following yours with pleasure :thumb2:

Kind regards, Steven

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Steven. I always think that the panzer VI looks like a proper tank - very tanky!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Very "Tanky" as you say!

Lovely finish too, all done without an AB too, well done.

The figures will be a "strain" but will shine through as ever.

The Pz IV D would sit nicely with either the beret style or alternative head gear.

I am looking forward to seeing if the Sovereign heads are OK?

Back to my Pz IV F2.

Have a good day with the paint

Regards

Steve H

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
looking really good.. can't wait to see the figures with the tank... ;)

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - I've ordered a Krupp Protze to go with this (assuming that it won't need a huge base for the both):

It should make for a nice set up. If it turns up tomorrow, I'll delay painting the figures. If not, the Sovereign figures don't hold so many terrors for me - relatively simple uniforms and well-defined faces.

Greg. Many thanks for looking in.

The tank is finished:

I started today by adding the spare track sections, for which I had to make some restraining bars.

It was then on to the stowage, which included the jerrycans and bucket provided with the kit. To these I added some generic Tamiya tarp rolls and some Miniart ammo cases. The last are actually meant to be Soviet, so we have now moved to early Barbarossa and the crew is using them for food storage. The restraining tape was made from paper, with some hooked brackets added to explain the attachment to the hull. I also added a roll of camouflage netting from the spares box.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Peter,
Everyone has said it all - brilliant job all round, well impressed.
Cheers, Mike.