Shenanigans 5: Tamiya PzKpfw IV Ausf D

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

I've spent the evening making up another figure from kit parts and a Sovereign head. This one will sit in the cupola:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A weekend away visiting and you have done so much and it looks really good.

The FV finish has always been a high standard, some may consider the over chipped and muddyed current vogue to be just a little too much?

Your 1:35 figures are superb, amazing after all the large scale busts you have done in the past weeks.

As for old kits, Tamiya are the real complete ""shake and bake"" kits, so you can focus on other elements, paint effects, large scenarios etc.

I think the Tamiya Pz II G and commander was the last thing I ever finished with a figure, about 3 years ago!

Whatever today holds have fun, I built a Tamiya Kubel over the weekend whilst sat chatting with family, another one of my annoying habits!

Have a good day

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Steve - I like 'Shake and Bake'. The great thing about the vast majority of early Tamiya kits is that they can be built by relative amateurs like myself. The detail is often moulded onto the larger parts, but that's just leaves a few fiddly bits to keep me in my comfort zone.

I ordered the other two kits on Friday for 'weekend delivery including Sundays', but so much for that - no show. Instead I'll probably paint the figure above.

I've been looking at the dio options and I think that using all three vehicles will make it too big. I'll probably do something with the two tanks and have the Protze as a stand-alone.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Wish I could get my colour transitions as smooth as you Peter....the uniforms look superb:smiling4:

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Si - I'm getting a bit more used to this scale. Still feel there's a long way to go though.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I was going to build one of these next, but it won't be in the same league as this!
Pete

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - Thank you. Have fun with the build.

Scottie - Very kind of you. Many thanks. The Panzer II should arrive tomorrow and I will include that on a base with this one, incorporating the other commander figure. I will post the build on this thread, as well as the completed dio. I've got a small base under construction.

The Protze I've ordered will be built as a separate item. I don't like the look of the figures provided so I'll make up a little vignette with these:

Ancient and modern logistics. The mechanic delivering supplies in the Protze and a cook taking up rations on a cart-horse. I'll run it as a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Peter
the Sovereign figure range is largely based on the Wolf figures that used to be produced in conjunction with Hornet (they of the heads) - their website is still called Hornetandwolf

The old Pz.II has a lot of problems once you start looking at it - I started rebuilding one some time ago, still haven't finished it yet Pz.II

I know you aren't fussed about correcting things though so I expect to see another cracking paint job real soon :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very lovely painted Peter! Looks great ;)
Cheers,
Steven

D

Deleted member 6559

Simon - That explains all about the Sovereign range - many thanks for the info.

I must admit that a little modelling goes a long way with me - it is really the painting that interests. As long as the vehicles look roughly right.....

Steve - Thanks for popping in.

Ralph - Glad you like it.

I've had a change of plan re mounting this one. I did some work on a larger base that would also accommodate the Panzer II, but I found that there was a bit too much space around the area I'd reserved for this vehicle. I also had some trouble with the grass tufts I'd glued on - the glue reacted with the surface and produced an unsightly white bloom. I therefore decided to mount it alone on an old, refurbished base:

I will therefore call this one done and start a new thread for the Panzer II.

Last edited by a moderator:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done Peter, the base is perfection in it's self, love those stones.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Another great piece.
John .

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
That's looking awesome Peter, love it! :thumb2:
cheers Steven

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Excellent finish, the base looks good and figures are excellent.

Nice to see the FV "style" back on screen with the Pz IV D too.

Well done with the small scale and hopefully not too many headaches!

Off to find your Pz II G

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Very many thanks chaps. Not quite finished with this one - see Shenanigans 6.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The investment in the figures was well worth it. Great to see the up close photos. A very nice build and finish. Glad to see you are keeping the AFV thread's going. :thumb2:

We will have you doing pin washes, streaking and pigments in no time at all:smiling3::smiling5::smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
You didn't fit the tool box to the rear of the turret then Peter?

Pete