Shenanigans 5: Tamiya PzKpfw IV Ausf D

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Mike.

It doesn't look as though the next vehicle will arrive any time soon, so it's on to the figures....

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great finish on the VI D, now for the figures and possibly those Sovereign heads?

The BBC are reminiscing over the Beast from the East, from 2018, thankfully a warm clear pleasant day, today.

A good day to paint very small figures!

Have fun

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Not sure if I have the mojo to tackle figures today. We'll see.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Peter,

The PzIV look brilliant...I’m blown away as usual.
Goes to show that in the right hands, a cheap old kit can be a dazzler:smiling4:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice turn out! Can’t wait to see the Krupp I have one in 1/48 those vehicles coming out you are doing great.

D

Deleted member 6559

Si - Thank you Hetzer man! I've also ordered Tamiya's really old Panzer II (because it was cheap - beggars can't be choosers).

Lee - Thanks also. I'm looking forward to seeing the Protze. This may turn into quite a big dio (see above).

First figure:

I wasn't disappointed by this Sovereign figure. The cleanest casting I've seen in a long while, with the only clean-up required being the removal of the casting blocks. I used one of the heads from the spare set, and again, a really very nice piece. When figures are this good they're a pleasure to paint, even at this small scale. Need to clean up that arm-band though.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
hi Peter
Have to get in quick or all the superlatives have been used :tongue-out3:. I say the tank and the first figure are -
excellent, splendid, wonderful, magnificent, superb, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, beautiful,

Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Jim - I think Peter has his own personal section in the thesaurus under superlative now.:smiling:

D

Deleted member 6559

Steady on chaps! Very gratified that you real modellers like my work.

Probably do the second figure tomorrow.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
I say old boy, could you make less of a perfect job with the armour, it's bad enough with your figures putting us all to shame and now this superb piece of work.
Yours.
Down Hearted of Stamford .:flushed::smiling3:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Peter - another dry brush finish worthy of Verlinden himself :thumb2:

I was going to ask where the horrible jerrycans came from but then I read they were from the kit which makes sense. At least they have three handles so better than some of the Tamiya offerings

Sovereign figures tend to vary somewhat in quality - I recently purchased ten direct from them

some of the faces are appalling while others are rather good - I had to pick through the range and buy the best looking ones

Uniform creases also tend to vary quite a bit - that second figure looks a little lacking

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Don't be downhearted. It's just a style and won't be to everyone's taste.

Ross - Many thanks. Good to hear from you.

Simon - My education stopped with FV! Sorry about the jerrycans, but I had no spares. I've tried to hide them as much as possible.

The box art doesn't quite do the figures justice, as there is more detail than is at first apparent. I understand that most of the more recent Soveriegn figures are re-issues from somewhere else. Some of their earlier ones are indeed not as good.

To pain you further, I've also bought Tamiya's very old Panzer II. I definitely won't be using the figures that come with that one.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Everything looks great Peter. I really like it.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Lee.

The second figure:

Another great figure to paint. The head was particularly nice.

That's the first phase done now. I'm waiting for these:

I'm not sure if I will combine them with the first vehicle in a dio, but I will build them on this thread and see how they all look together. I will also see if there are more Sovereign figures that take my fancy.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Peter,
Seriously great work, well impressed with the figures.
Mike.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see some more Tamiya classics are heading your way. The figures are superb. How is the eyesight holding up??

D

Deleted member 6559

Mike - Thanks.

Steve - Thanks also. The eyesight's OK at the moment - can't see the TV, but OK.

I had a look at the Sovereign range, but all of the German subjects were wearing later period uniforms. mostly SS camo etc. I decided instead to order this Verlinden offering:

Gert Frobe in 'The Longest Day' I presume. Should add some interest.

Last edited by a moderator: