SimonT - 1/35 Miniart Dingo - Rons Recon GB

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
only really added the springs on this one as all other detail is in the kit.
.... oh yeh!! Having just caught up it seems that you're back to your old tricks. Mk2 map case is much better. Making those sand has worked really well. Very clever method.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Loving the sand channels Mr T.....I’ll have to remember that when I do my LRDG Chevy :thumb2:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The map case & sand channels look very good indeed.:thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Beautiful work on the sand channels. A simple but clever idea. I tried to do one in 1:72 and failed miserably. Nearly there now

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work. Surprised the material didn't try to crawl up the drill bit & make a mess of the hole. PaulE

D

Deleted member 6559

Very impressive work Simon. Do you have any fingers left after cutting up the coke cans?

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Simon,

I just caught up amazing work mate, where do you get the plans for the sand channels from if you don't mind me asking.

Marty

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - well, nearly OOB for me :smiling5:

Scottie - ta

Si - if you or anyone else wants a pdf of the template just PM me an email address and I can sort that

Neil - thanks

Graeme - thanks also

Steve - cheers. Could be done at 1/72, just needs a steady hand with the drill

Paul - held the metal against a piece of scrap wood. Just gave it a quick blast of Dremel on full speed - holes the result.
Without the centre being marked though the drill bit had a tendency to wander about - first two attempts had some very wonky lines of holes

Peter - thanks. Fingers all intact :smiling2: Cans cut very easily with a new scalpel blade

Marty - cheers. Made them myself as couldn't find any dimensions - studied various WW2 desert photos including one where a chap was very helpfully holding one up next to him, estimated some dimensions as a result, then drew up in CAD at work in my lunch break. They may not be 100% dimensionally accurate, however, looking at the photos showed that there were quite a variety of sizes and styles so I am happy that they are fair representation

Went through the instruction sheet again and found a few more small bits that I had overlooked previously

dingo-073_2019-12-9.jpg
tie downs on the rear deck - etch fret provides some very small flat strips to represent these. I decided to drill holes and insert wire instead - that way I can lash some stowage to them

dingo-075_2019-12-9.jpg
there was this little platform for the Bren to rest on made from two very small bit of etch and there was also a handle on the inside left if the Bren slot - just see it in the background

dingo-074_2019-12-9.jpg
made up a pewter rifle sling and then cut two clips for the rifle from plastic card

this was then installed on the underside of the rear roof and the strap draped down on the equipment below

Bren barrel drilled out

I made a few Bren magazines using the kit part as a template only to find that they wouldn't fit in the rack as the etch slots are way too narrow - not a great problem though as rack is not really visible

This time, it really could be finished, apart from stowage.......

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
No it won't! LOL You will still find more to add. That's why we luv this kit bashing so much. However for me there does come a time when enough is enough and it's time for the wet stuff. Another great update Mr T. It's certainly looking the part

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
How right you are Steve

Something has been niggling at me - the things that look like bump stops on each side of the suspension uprights are not fastened to any moving parts so I have done some more digging

They are in fact brake pipe unions - there should be a small bore copper pipe from inside the chassis to the top of the fitting and then a large diameter flexible that runs down to the wheel hub/brake assembly

A few lengths of Plusmodel lead wire should sort this, then it might be finished.......:rolling:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent details. My boss used to say the cause for my blown deadlines on restorations was "separation anxiety" where I had to do just one more thing, hating to leave my labor of love to some Philistine who wouldn't appreciate it and likely wrap it around a tree. PaulE

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Jim - thanks, made me chuckle

Andy - good to see you, thanks

Paul - I know what you mean. I have the same problem at work when the numpties ruin my nice drawings

dingo-076_2019-12-10.jpg
all four corners are now piped up so I am definitely calling the build done on this one now, honest

I have a day off Friday so you may even see paint soon.......