Smythe Meister's Mk. IX. ICM 1/48

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I reckon things are looking great Andy. Here's a thing, you say Langy is building the same model. I once built two Airfix Jet Provost side by side, for a kit with very few parts, they still had different fit issues. It could easily be, your kit, is just a bit different from Langy's.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
You're getting there and it's all looking fine. You'll be an experienced wingy thing builder yet.
Jim
Thanks very much Jim,i`m pleased that you have faith in me :thumb2:
Looking good Andy, ICM seems to make a really nice spitfire:smiling:
Cheers Fernando.... It`s probably just me,the kit can definitely be an excellent finish... just as Chris has proved:cool:
Looking good Andy, ICM seems to make a really nice spitfire:smiling:

I'm plodding on but - wingy fingys are doing my 'ed in! Just lost the skills!
Steve
Stick with it Steve!!.... I have,and must say that it`s coming out better than i imagined!!:cool:
I reckon things are looking great Andy. Here's a thing, you say Langy is building the same model. I once built two Airfix Jet Provost side by side, for a kit with very few parts, they still had different fit issues. It could easily be, your kit, is just a bit different from Langy's.
Good point Colin,I see what you mean,hadn`t really thought of that .... Thanks:thumb2:

So now that i`ve covered all bases...... an update to follow VERY shortly.......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,here we go with the "Smythemeister`s" Spitfire CATASTROPHY BUILD......
... First up,i decided to try and persevere with the kit..... Did the control panel,and finished the assembly.....
IMG20220703150311.jpg
Then it was time to attack it with filler.......(From many angles i`m afraid!!).....
IMG20220704162309.jpg
Davecov`s idea of masking off the areas for Filling is sounding SO much like a great idea!! :thumb2:
IMG20220704162221.jpg
Not sure why that pic went so big there:anguished:.....
HOWEVER ..... Believe it or not,after that all done,sanded down and then primered.... it ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE a SPITFIRE :astonished:!!!!
IMG20220705173516.jpg
IMG20220705173451.jpg
IMG20220705173538.jpg
So there we are then!,,,, I`m actually surprised how it`s turned out so far.... i thought it`d be a real train wreck! Obviously it ain`t great,but as a test piece for my Mossie build,i`m quite pleased so far!
As you can see there are a few bits that still require attention,but i`ll sort them out Dreckly,then it`ll be ready to try the camo mask set that i bought!!:anguished:
Thanks for looking in as always guys,and i appreciate all of your comments/thoughts,.... or plain ole abuse!!:tears-of-joy::thumb2:
Andy

Attachments

• IMG20220704162302.jpg
    IMG20220704162302.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 5

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I understand Andy....You are doing a helluva job with this baby and I love the pit. Drive on buddy and it will turn out aces!!! Please don't look at my Mossie when I start building it though........The horror, the horror.............

Prost
Allen

PS, besides the Devon Mist, it might be the Jacky and cola too...........................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
that's looking really good, cockpit looks really nice. Joining bits of plastic can be tricky, whether it makes up into a railway train, tank, aircraft or mecha. Skills can all be applied cross all genres, - it must be a mental thing that modellers say they can't make planes, tanks etc , just something outside of their normal genre!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s looking rather good Andy. Not sure why you are talking yourself down here?I’m with Dave on the modellers mental block thing. I really don’t know why we tend to scare ourselves off of certain subjects.

Building a cockpit isn’t that different to building the interior of a tank, or the cab interior of a lorry or car, for example. All of them are just crew areas enclosed in a structure, be it aircraft or tank shaped. If you can build one, you can build the other.

Sure, there is a little more filling and sanding on an aircraft, because a smooth and gap free airframe is a pre requisite for painting. However, you won’t start to paint a car if there are gaps all over the bodywork will you?

Aircraft don’t need you to make up individual track links or have lots of wheels where you need to accurately paint the tyres, but equally tedious jobs such as rigging, or painting modern underwing stores, exist in aircraft modelling…..….

To me, the only significant changes in technique occur during painting and finishing. Aircraft always seem to need loads of masking, more than any other genre, ending up looking like a ball of tape…..

Even then though similarities occur across genres. A bare metal type finish, with loads of decals, on an aircraft requires the same preparative care and planning as a rally car, for example. Streaking, fading, and paint wear most often displayed on an AFV is also found on camouflaged aircraft or ships, for another.

Modelling anything just takes a little forethought about what techniques and tricks you need to use to get the effect you are after. The fun comes in building different types of model so allowing you to develop those skills.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That is all looking great. Filling and sanding and repeating the process three or four times in order to get a gap free, smooth join is boring but necessary. Onwards and upwards.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That’s looking rather good Andy. Not sure why you are talking yourself down here?I’m with Dave on the modellers mental block thing. I really don’t know why we tend to scare ourselves off of certain subjects.

Building a cockpit isn’t that different to building the interior of a tank, or the cab interior of a lorry or car, for example. All of them are just crew areas enclosed in a structure, be it aircraft or tank shaped. If you can build one, you can build the other.

Sure, there is a little more filling and sanding on an aircraft, because a smooth and gap free airframe is a pre requisite for painting. However, you won’t start to paint a car if there are gaps all over the bodywork will you?

Aircraft don’t need you to make up individual track links or have lots of wheels where you need to accurately paint the tyres, but equally tedious jobs such as rigging, or painting modern underwing stores, exist in aircraft modelling…..….

To me, the only significant changes in technique occur during painting and finishing. Aircraft always seem to need loads of masking, more than any other genre, ending up looking like a ball of tape…..

Even then though similarities occur across genres. A bare metal type finish, with loads of decals, on an aircraft requires the same preparative care and planning as a rally car, for example. Streaking, fading, and paint wear most often displayed on an AFV is also found on camouflaged aircraft or ships, for another.

Modelling anything just takes a little forethought about what techniques and tricks you need to use to get the effect you are after. The fun comes in building different types of model so allowing you to develop those skills.
Well said that man!!! Couldn't have put it better!

As for the ball of tape, I thought it was just me being overzealous..... But clearly not!!! ;)

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very sorry for the late reply and lack of personal responses here at the mo!!:anguished:
... Had my 3 month old Grand daughter around for most of the day,so my progress has been somewhat limited!!....But here`s a few pics....
IMG20220708182806.jpg

as you can see there,there`s a decal missing!!... tried to replicate it with a CITIDAL paint,which matched great IMHO .... so with that,and a tiny brush in white.......
IMG20220709190330.jpg
not perfect... but it`ll do for me:thumb2:
There`s more to see,but that`ll come later!!;)
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well done. Problem sorted.
Had my 3 month old Grand daughter around for most of the day
Just wait a while. We took my 5 year old granddaughter to a Pick Your Own strawberry farm today. She is gorgeous but both the wife and I are totally knackered. She seems to believe that granddad can play chase, kick a football, go on the climbing frame etc. and like a fool I do it but pay dearly later :smiling: :hugging-face: