Smythe Meister's Mk. IX. ICM 1/48

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then Muchachos !
Not exactloy the "Finished Build" post i was hoping for today:flushed:,
I`ve progressed somewhat mind,thank`s to Tony`s advice,(I just LOVE THE "yak face" tag BTW!!:cool:),so,total gloss varnish applied.... guess what?... He was bang on... the "Dark Green" i was worried wasn`t dark enough..... suddenly got a bit darker:thumb2:,(Never doubted his advice obviously!!),cheers Tony.....
IMG20220716131454.jpg
It`s looking a bit more like it.... started the Decals.....
IMG20220716175443.jpg
It`s coming on,HOWEVER,i have encountered a few problems:sad-face:,you may have noticed that the Decal towards the tail plane is missing!...
That`s because it simply fell apart when i tried to apply it...... as did the one for tother side:confounded:... and even the same two supplied for the other option,(Even thought i could get away with them........ but NO:worried:)
Anyway,i had another disaster re the "J" Decal on the other side,not to mention the"JE" one,wrinkling up:tired:....
IMG20220716175640.jpg
YEP!!... these started to fragment,and i completely lost the "J" decal all together!!:sad:...
It`s all become a bit pants really,which is a shame,because i actually thought i was getting somewhere,even started a simple base for it as you can see!:rolling:
Nevermind,i`ll just put it down to experience!!

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Xtradecal make aftermarket code letters if you want to finish it Andy. it is looking the part so it would be a shame not to.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Xtradecal make aftermarket code letters if you want to finish it Andy. it is looking the part so it would be a shame not to.
Cheers Tim,I`ll check them out :thumb2:
It ain`t the best,obviously,but i don`t want to leave it "Half Cocked"!!:sad:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
Tim is right. You've come so far and it is looking so good it's definitely worth sourcing some decals to finish it off.
Jim
Thanks very much Jim :thumb2: ,
Yeah,i think i`ll try and get those replacement decals... i`ve invested too much time and effort in this to just give up i guess!!:hugging-face:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ive got some 1/48 RAF codes in sky andy , I can send you some . I’ll pm you and have a look for them tomorrow :thumb2:
That`s very kind of you thanks Tony :hugging-face:
If you do find one then it`d be much appreciated.... I`d pay postage etc obviously:thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
C'mon Mr. Smiff, be like Nike and "Just Do It"............You've done a great job so far and now it's time to bring this beauty over the finish line. The decals can't cost a fortune Andy................

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Real shame about the decals, it was coming on well aftermarket decals sound like the way to go.
Yes,it is a shame Mark,
But Chris,(Langey),did his one with no hassle,so i presumed i`d have no problems also!:thumb2:...
.... it would appear not though!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
C'mon Mr. Smiff, be like Nike and "Just Do It"............You've done a great job so far and now it's time to bring this beauty over the finish line. The decals can't cost a fortune Andy................

Prost
Allen
Indeed Allen......
I shall persevere Buddy..... this will be my first COMPLETED airplane since i was about !"!!:astonished:
And thank you Buddy.... I hope you`re baring up well with the dreaded Covid!!
Andy,Rach,and of course.... Cohan !!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks my friend. So far it's just like having a light cold with tingly finger tips...Weird when you pick a kit part and it falls out of your fingers because you didn't have a grip on it......Best wishes back at you three!

Prost
Allen

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If it helps, I'll have a look around to see if i've got any 'Sky' decals and if so i could send them to you mate..
Thanks very much for that Chris :smiling3:
All contributions gratefully accepted, although Tony has offered to send any that may help also ;)
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evenin' guys,
Well,the mojo for this build has been revived!!! ..... Thanks to Tony,(Yak face),who kindly sent me a great array of decals to help sort out the previous disaster areas :smiling3:
Said decals were waiting for me when I got home, about half an hour ago... So, hopefully,an update this evening showing the finishing line getting close ;) !!
MAJOR THANKS go out to our very own Mr.Yak Face for his generosity ... And I may add that he packaged them up better than most on-line deliveries I've received!! :smiling3:

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Evenin' guys,
Well,the mojo for this build has been revived!!! ..... Thanks to Tony,(Yak face),who kindly sent me a great array of decals to help sort out the previous disaster areas :smiling3:
Said decals were waiting for me when I got home, about half an hour ago... So, hopefully,an update this evening showing the finishing line getting close ;) !!
MAJOR THANKS go out to our very own Mr.Yak Face for his generosity ... And I may add that he packaged them up better than most on-line deliveries I've received!! :smiling3:
sorry for the delay in looking Andy, been way too busy working my a&^ off in this heatwave to go anywhere near the hobby room.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Chris,
Absolutely no problem at all mate :smiling3:
I know what you mean,the heat is killing me at work as well.... My work's practically ALL outside,on top of hills or down in valleys with no getting out of the sun/heat...so by the time I get home I'm drained!!
My hobby room is South facing,hence BAKING HOT when I get home, luckily,this plane is at such a stage that I can bring it downstairs in the cooler front room :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evenin` reprobates ;)!!
So then,my update,belated as it is!!.... STILL not finished,HOWEVER ,as much progress as has been possible this week,due to work load,has been achieved ,as and when :anguished:
Thanks to Tony,i`ve been able to add some tail numbers,not correct for this particular plane,but to be honest,i`m not really bothered about that!:hugging-face:....
I`ve also done the yellow/red bits on the leading edge,with the black stuff!!:thumb2:
Not finished by a considerable way yet... but ere be pics.....
IMG20220719200109.jpg

IMG20220722161949.jpg

IMG20220722180233.jpg

IMG20220722190120.jpg

Gotta go now... Getting in the neck from Rach!!.... Apparently "Tea`s Ready":anguished:.... Bloody waste of modelling time if you ask me!!:astonished:
Anyway,enough from me now,Talk soon Chaps,
Andy