Smythe Meister's Mk. IX. ICM 1/48

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thought this was your Mossie build , didn't read the heading, sorry Andy.
Nice save on the prop ( leaning new words every day )

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nicely done, Andy. Great save!
Cheers Andrew,it looks a closer match of yellow in real life:thumb2:.
Well done. Problem sorted.

Just wait a while. We took my 5 year old granddaughter to a Pick Your Own strawberry farm today. She is gorgeous but both the wife and I are totally knackered. She seems to believe that granddad can play chase, kick a football, go on the climbing frame etc. and like a fool I do it but pay dearly later :smiling: :hugging-face:
That`s not foolish at all Jim.... it`s barking mad!!:tears-of-joy:
Good fix,it doesn't look out of place.
Cheers Mark,it`ll do for me ;).

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thought this was your Mossie build , didn't read the heading, sorry Andy.
Nice save on the prop ( leaning new words every day )
No problemo John!!:thumb2:
.... "New words"?!!..... Well,being ex R.A.F. i know the words..... it`s actually assembling the kit that`s my handicap!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::dizzy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then.......
I`m loosely calling the following update as "Progress":flushed:
So,masked up the underbelly with Tamiya tape,(I`ve had the same 40mm wide roll for at least 8 years,and i`ve used more of it on this plane alone than in all the previous years put together!!:tears-of-joy:),and sprayed with Ocean Grey...
IMG20220712184029.jpg

IMG20220712192904.jpg
Then ,and here`s another first for me,i got These out.......
IMG20220714175927.jpg
They really feel great and are so user friendly to apply,giving an excellent seal,HOWEVER ,i had real trouble with the one covering Portside exhaust,(as in it wouldn`t stick down above it),and a couple had to be trimmed a bit where they over hung the wings.Now this is probably due to my having not used them before,or the fact that it`s an ICM kit,(Not listed in the "Recommended" kits..... or,which is more likely,a combination of both......
IMG20220714175657.jpg
Then,time to take the Bull by it`s horns,and chuck some Dark Green at it:astonished:...... Well,when i did a paint match with the stated "Model Master" paint i got Humbrol "Dark Green 03". Had some of that for a future Blenheim kit,so on it went:thumb2:........ Oooops:surprised:......
IMG20220714191617.jpg
It IS a lot darker than it looks in that pick,but not as dark as it should be IMHO,(Annoying really,because i have SO MANY Dark Greens for my Armour builds!!),however,i ain`t redoing all that!! So it is what it is,at least i`m learning from these mistakes,so my Mosquito build should be so much more acceptable,hopefully!!;)
Last pick for now,took the mask off for the Fuselage stripe.....
IMG20220714192157.jpg
So there you are... insults and abuse expected welcomed:tears-of-joy:,
This evening then,..... Putting on the opened cockpit side door section,painting the small details,add the Decals,put on the "Prop",(John`s latest word there;):tears-of-joy:!!),
........and lastly...... just the small matter of trying to mask the Canopy bits:fearful::confounded:
Cheers for now,and thanks for looking in,
Andy

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I used their Top Notch masks for both the Stuka and Gladiator in my dogfight doubles, and they seem to be intended to overlap the wings, presumably so there isn't a masking edge on the wing edge, which would be difficult to stick down.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Ian!! Not looking bad at all!!!!

Invested in a few camo masks myself.... Not because I normally use them but because they're so cheap at 1/72 age they've helped bulk out overseas purchases and make the p&p on the main purchase worth it.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Coming on nicely Ian!! Not looking bad at all!!!!

Invested in a few camo masks myself.... Not because I normally use them but because they're so cheap at 1/72 age they've helped bulk out overseas purchases and make the p&p on the main purchase worth it.
Who's Ian?!!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Pssst, Mr. Smiff,

I think Andrew has been sniffing the wrinkle cream instead of applying it to his thumbs.........

BTW, Cohan did a fantastic job masking the canopy before you shooting the primer!!! Looks good so far Andy and keep it coming.....

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Camo looks fine Andy. I've never tried masks but you've shown how well they work.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great andy , dont worry about the green it’ll probably darken up a bit when the gloss coat goes on ready for the decals . Cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No problemo John!!:thumb2:
.... "New words"?!!..... Well,being ex R.A.F. i know the words..... it`s actually assembling the kit that`s my handicap!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::dizzy:
No , me learning new words Andy ! :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
Nice work with those camo masks , never seen those before , no doubt as don't look at aftermarket parts for wingy's.

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking great andy , dont worry about the green it’ll probably darken up a bit when the gloss coat goes on ready for the decals . Cheers tony
Thanks Tony :smiling3:
So do you cover the entire plane with gloss varnish then?.... I just put it where the decals are going to sit on my AFVs.
Lack of wingy experience shining through yet again!! ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking very nice Andy. getting good at these wingy things aren't you
Ha!! Not sure about that Mick :smiling3:
HOWEVER ,some of the mysticism around doing these flying fings is slowly lifting ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks Tony :smiling3:
So do you cover the entire plane with gloss varnish then?.... I just put it where the decals are going to sit on my AFVs.
Lack of wingy experience shining through yet again!! ;)
I Usually do andy, then you arent going to get any different looking areas when the matt varnish goes on after . Cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
No , me learning new words Andy ! :smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
Nice work with those camo masks , never seen those before , no doubt as don't look at aftermarket parts for wingy's.
Hi John,thank you :smiling3:
Those masks are excellent IMHO, well worth the outlay and effort.... No seepage whatsoever ;)