Snorkeling off a Saipan beach......The Players.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 as a keen follower of your work I think this is great. What carboard packet are you using please, or will any make be suitable. You must of course have a strong gusset.

453 president of the South Lincs Gusset appreciation society :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to Jim, Andy, Paul and 453 for your humorous and encouraging comments.

Jim. Baked Beans tin. That's a co-incidence. I have to try and model a reason why the L.C. is sunk'd. ;)

Andy. We haven't a t.v. It's missing things like this when I wish I had....

Paul. 10% each and the rest sheer luck!

Dear Mr. President 453. Thank you for your enquiry regarding what cardboard packet I'm butchering.
Here is a picture of what remains of same.....
P1300934.JPG

Names have been obliterated to protect the innocent.

Should you wish to use the same or similar, please ensure the inner bag is empty. I didn't, and simply nicked the outer one from the wife. Bad move!

I am now once more under the tender care of our Matron. She reckons my wounds will heal with no scars to show as a result of my forgetting to ask permission from the present Mrs. Ron before cutting up her cereal packet

Hello Matron...Well, can't the bandage removal wait until I've finished typing this to........AAGGG!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 Thank you for your enlightening post re the make and type of cardboard.
Sorry to read of your matrimonial problems. Mind taking the inner lining as well was rather fool hardy , esp knowing of the present Mrs 570's ability to throw.
Chris Boatman knows fully well the danger of taking certain things as well.
Yours 453 .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My pleasure 453.
....and now back to the mundane model making.

I've just realised, I haven't written what type of L.C. I'm roughly copying. It's the L.C.M. III (M for mechanized) These vessels were much used both in the European and the Pacific theatres. All metal construction, they were designed to carry up to 30 tons. Either 1 tank, 60 soldiers or a general cargo. Over 8600 were built.

Being reasonably happy with the dry fit of the bits for my 'Blue Peter' Landing Craft, I've made a start sticking it all together.

Here's one of the hull sides stuck to the bottom of the L.C. See how cutting out the darts has allowed me to bend things easily to the right shape.

....a tip. If you are contemplating such a procedure, don't try and glue the whole strip in one go. Glue one end, let this dry. Then gradually work your way along the join, shaping the profile as you go.

P1300869.JPG

Cheers.
Igor A. Gloostik

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
570 Thank you for your enlightening post re the make and type of cardboard.
Sorry to read of your matrimonial problems. Mind taking the inner lining as well was rather fool hardy , esp knowing of the present Mrs 570's ability to throw.
Chris Boatman knows fully well the danger of taking certain things as well.
Yours 453 .
:thinking:YEA John i do wont do that again in a hurry to exspensive for me an danger to crown jewels lol:rolling::face-with-head-bandage::cold-sweat:
chris

• Love
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
My pleasure 453.
....and now back to the mundane model making.

I've just realised, I haven't written what type of L.C. I'm roughly copying. It's the L.C.M. III (M for mechanical) These vessels were much used both in the European and the Pacific theatres. All metal construction, they were designed to carry up to 30 tons. Either 1 tank, 60 soldiers or a general cargo. Over 8600 were built.

Being reasonably happy with the bits for my 'Blue Peter' Landing Craft, I've made a start sticking it all together.

Here's one of the hull sides stuck to the bottom of the L.C. See how cutting out the darts has allowed me to bend things easily to the right shape.

....a tip. If you are contemplating such a procedure, don't try and glue the whole strip in one go. Glue one end, let this dry. Then gradually work your way along the join.

View attachment 431445

Cheers.
Igor A. Gloostik
COMIN on well that LCM is 570

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Tim.

On with the L.C.
Me being a Founder member of the 'Cheapskate Model Making Society', I've decided that instead of wasting money on a proper 1/72 L.C. kit, only to cover it with all sorts of horrid marine growth, I'm going to make the vessel out of a cardboard cereal packet. Should be fun, as I've never done such a thing before.

I found a basic drawing of an L.C. on 'tinternet, so I've scaled it to 1/72, then drew it out on paper and transferred these to the cereal packet and cut out the shapes needed.

I've learned from my somewhat limited knowledge of cardboard/paper kits that just gluing the edges together is not strong enough, so I've made me some strips of thin card 'Gussets' suitably adorned with dart cut outs. Glued to the edges of the cards, these allow for the flexing of the joints in both directions.....

The ramp(top left) is made from plastic card because I tried cardboard and was unable to cut out the slats neatly enough.

View attachment 431403

Some of the angle strengthening gussets.
View attachment 431404

Should be interesting.......:thinking::upside:

Igor A. Gusitortoo
Great idea Ron. Have been following this with interest.

Keep it up.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
All joking aside for a moment the cardboard LC looks as if it will work well. You do indeed only need a basic shape when it is covered in seabed crud. The crud/paint will need to be put on pretty dry so the card doesn't distort.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the continued interest, boys.

Hi Ron
The crud/paint will need to be put on pretty dry so the card doesn't distort.
Jim

Good point Jim, but I'll seal the whole thing with PVA before I do any crudding etc.
As for distortion, there will be plenty of that anyway, to explain away how the thing arrived on the 'oggin floor in the first place. ;)

Thanks again all.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It's steady rain today, so can't get out.
Just what is a bloke supposed to do?

This is filling the time nicely......
I must confess to being dead chuffed how it's going together.
P1300932.JPG

Cheers,
John Noakes and Shep.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've had a thoroughly idle day today, so I've progressed very nicely with the L.C.

Here it is complete as far as is necessary. I scratched made all the fittings from bits of sprue and left over 'things' from previous kits.
I could have left most of them off, but I thought a few lumps and bumps under the marine growth would add a bit of interest.....

The ramp is made solely from plastic card.

Door ajar as a safe haven for diddy fishes.

Next I will paint the vessel and then inflict some damage to show why it sank.
P1300945.JPG

P1300946.JPG

P1300947.JPG

P1300948.JPG

P1300951.JPG

P1300952.JPG

I hope you approve of my 'Blue Peter' L.C.M. Mk. LXXIII thus far.....

Cheers.
Peter Purves

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
A bit more attention to detail and you could have ended up with a first class LCM what you could have displayed on the top of the oggin - instead of just a base for your 'crud' as you put it!

Mind you, I've seen you do the same with buildings. Create a perfectly acceptable one that would grace any dio - then pummel it to destruction and end up with little more than a pile of rubble!