Snorkeling off a Saipan beach......The Players.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I cast my lot with Scottie..........I have been remiss in all the goings on with this little vignette. Please carry on Sir. :thumb2: Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your great comments chaps. I'm well pleased you approve of my Cornflakes Box L.C.!

As some of you will recall, I lost my best mate recently. As a result I had to 'Get away' from it all for a while. My wife and I piled stuff into our camper and went up to the N.W. coast of Scotland and did a bit of Island Hopping courtesy of Calmac Ferries. We returned yesterday.

Jeez, I needed that break and am now back to some sense of normality.

Cheers.
Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Good to see you back matey ,hope your little break did the trick . The poor old LC is looking a bit worse than last time , the japanese gunners
really did it good and proper ! Let the crudding begin ! Cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Glad the break helped. A lot of problems with Calmac ferries at the moment. An ageing fleet, new ships way behind schedule and frequent breakdowns. Friends of ours on Lewis are fed up.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Welcome back young Ron! Glad your break did you some good.

Another excellent bit of wreckery there. You sure you wasn't some kind of demolitions expert in a previous life?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ahoy you old Sea Dog. :smiling3:

Good to see you back in the fold. Hope the rest had been refreshing.

Arthur Clump
Ward 6 bed 9 .
Broadmoor.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps. It's good to be back and firing on all cylinders......so far. :smiling4:

Crud done. More PVA and crushed up gravel. My poor drive!
The L.C. will be at a greater depth than the tank and aircraft, so less light means less marine growth.
So apart from a bit more junk and a bit of weed etc., it's more or less done.

Then to simulate a bit of depth, I will 'Blue' it all.....
P1310371.JPG

P1310374.JPG

P1310376.JPG

P1310372.JPG

P1310375.JPG

P1310378.JPG

P1310377.JPG

I hope you approve of progress thus far, and thanks for your continued support.

Cheers,
Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The plane reminded me of that sunken one I did years ago-your looks superb, love the tail and rudder framing-spot on mate.

The landing craft is amazing scratchy-makey-thingy, top work from card and some plasticard. I was almost upset to see you destroy it looked so good...I of course, did say nearly, and I realised that it was to be knackered, crusty and just a mess...cheered me right back up.

Lovely work so far you Royal-Ronness.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Struth, 8 months in replying! I'm really sorry....

It was only whilst I'm waiting for the 'sea' to harden on my Bismarck base, that I spotted this forgotten build sitting on the bench in the garage, so as I had some spare PVA and muck lying around, I did a bit more work on the aircraft.

Also, using a stiff brush, I've stippled on some different colours of marine growth using Vallejo 'Air' acrylics.

P1330052.JPG

P1330053.JPG

P1330057.JPG

Here it is almost finished. I proved to myself when I modelled a sunken U. Boat on here, that it is possible to paint 'depth'.....To my satisfaction, anyway ;)

If trying this at home boys and girls, please ensure the surface of the model is rock hard, and I mean hard! Then with the largest flat headed brush you have slosh the whole thing with a suitably diluted blue /green paint. Once bone dry, repeat and repeat and.....

If the surface is not dead 'ard, all your lovely Barny Cals will simply lift clean off!

For the background, I use a piece of card, painted more or less the same colour, it's just a different shade.

The aircraft is at a snorkel depth of around 30ft, so still plenty of surface light and a bit of natural colour remains.
P1330056.JPG

Next up I'll do the same to the knackered L.C.

Cheers all, and once again my sincere apologies for the well overdue response to your posts. I simply forgot about the model. :upside:

Ron

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In a way I am glad that you found this again Ron or I will never have gotten to see it! I totally missed it first time around!
That LC is pretty cool for a cardboard box!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andrew, Paul and Ian.

Paul. The blue is painted on. When I built this 1/350 sunken U. Boat on here, I thought there must be a way of actually painting sea depth. I'm sure we've all seen 'Artist's impressions' of Bismarck as she is today, so I figured it might just be possible to paint a model the same way....

After numerous goes I managed to get it summat like.

To show there is no filter, here is that sub. Obviously this is supposed to be deeper in the ocean, hence the darker, deeper colour than the shallower Grumman fighter above.
Iron Coffin 042.jpg

As I wrote earlier, the trick is to make sure any marine growth is well and truly stuck on, or the numerous paint washes simply remove every bit of it.

Also, keep the background blue all the same shade. It sort of makes it look infinite.

Believe me, no one was more surprised than me with the totally unexpected result.

"You never know until you try, and if you don't try, you will never know." My Dad.

Cheers chaps.
Ron