Sqn. Ldr. Ray Hanna A.F.C. & Bar being a very, very naughty boy!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I built that recent diddy 1/144 Spitfire so I could have a stab at Ray Hanna flying his Spitfire under a certain bridge.

Here goes.....
Bridge first.
As usual, I draw the outline of the subject on to a piece of paper, then transferred the cutout onto a bit of foam board and then cut the board.

This is my first attempt. I even scribed the stonework onto one of the boards. Luckily, I only need to detail one side of the bridge. I then discovered the bridge arches I'd cut were way off. I tried to correct it, but to no avail.

So under my boot it went (sort of)

The master plan!
P1340262.JPG

Onto the board
P1340263.JPG

Under my 'Boot'
P1340264.JPG

I was not going to be beaten by a bit of paper and a dumb first attempt, so I set to with a will this morning.

Here's the Mark II. Much better shape.
P1340265.JPG

The bridge stonework is very thin and random
P1340266.JPG

Anyway, we are now off and running.

Cheers.

Thomas Telford II

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dang Ron, haven't even commented on your garden bug build yet and you're off and running again. This looks to be a very interesting project you're concocting here Sir...Sorry to hear (like Dave) there will be no chucking up on this one. It seems you have put your fine lady out of work too, lately..............

Prost
Allen

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Brilliant history - just been reading the story, I was lucky enough to see MH 434 up close taking off from Duxford a few years ago (I'm guessing this was the Spitfire he used?) Naturally will be watching the build with great interest!DSC_0111.jpgDSC_0113.jpgDSC_0140.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your positive posts, links and pictures. All good stuff.

Steve. the aircraft is the one that he flew for the 'Stunt'

Fear not chaps, the chucker will be employed......

Right, Mark II thus far.
Cut out and marked out.
'Back' fitted.

I'm happier with the arch and the stonework courses are now far smaller than the one I b***'s up!
P1340265.JPG

P1340266.JPG

The back fitted. Because it is just that, I don't need to 'Do' any stonework.
P1340270.JPG

Top cappings ready for scribing.
P1340267.JPG

Ready for the arch and road.
Then some more stonework and scribing same.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, if you go back and have a blimp at my 'Flying' aircraft, these were 'Chucked' (or thrown, if you are posh) across the camera lens by my wife. She is the chucker!

Would I tell porkies? Of course not, I'm a Politician........

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, Tony and the Colonial Paul. Thank you for your input.

Paul, in the past she used to rent out her 'chucking' skills......or so I've heard. :flushed:

Onwards and upwards-

I've infilled the arch using a strip of cardboard cereal packet. Might be obvious, but when doing this bend the card between your fingers first. This makes it much easier to glue.
P1340274.JPG

I've also finished off the stonework beneath the arch. Always make sure the joints running around the corner are something like consistent.
P1340273.JPG

Here's the road. made from the same type of card as the arch.
I've also scribed the coping stones. My only concession to marking out the back face is the copings and arch edge. I figured they might just be seen in the finished photos.

I forgot to mention, I used a ''Stanley Knife' for the scribing. far more control than a scalpel and the blades last a darn sight longer!
I also forgot to write, Using cheap acrylics, I painted the whole of the thing in a light grey to highlight the joints in the stone work.

P1340275.JPG

P1340276.JPG

P1340279.JPG

Next up, detailing and more painting.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron,

Great idea. Not heard of the story or possibly forgotten about it, so had to look it up.

Great work so far!

ATB.

Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Colin, if you go back and have a blimp at my 'Flying' aircraft, these were 'Chucked' (or thrown, if you are posh) across the camera lens by my wife. She is the chucker!

Would I tell porkies? Of course not, I'm a Politician........
Yes, I remember. I didn't quite realise the good lady's activities had gained a name. Chucker.