Sqn. Ldr. Ray Hanna A.F.C. & Bar being a very, very naughty boy!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 I seem to be rather late to this , so will grab a seat and watch.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice stonework Ron. It will be a great scene when finished.

You probably know this, but the Ray Hanna stunt was done for the TV series “Piece of cake”, taken from the book series by Derek Robinson. The books are well worth a read if you haven’t read them. The book used this event as the basis of its narrative.…….

Neither the book, nor the original incident had spitfires involved though……that‘s TV for you ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your nice comments boys and thanks to Tim for the link.
Your participation alongside me into the unknown is much appreciated 'cos I'm getting fwykund!

I've started to add a bit of 'Fancy Detail' to the bridge and also the eight iron reinforcement bars. These I made from thin plastic card.

Fancy stonework.....
P1340282.JPG

The eight bar plates.

These were actually thick rods that went right through the bridge to the other side. The plates you see were then pushed on either end and bolted to the protruding rods. The purpose was to prevent any 'Spreading' at the middle part of the structure. You will spot such things on many old buildings and are usually rather ornate. An 'S' shape being quite common.

When I was 'On the tools' I spent many a happy hour hacking through masonry, thick old timbers, you name it ( All by hand) fitting these things.

I've also given the whole bridge a brushed on coat of light beige ready for some serious colouring and weathering.
P1340291.JPG

A closer look at the bridge coping stones etc.. I haven't been as neat with the far bit 'cos it'll hardly be seen. :upside:

You can just about see the big square bolt heads on the black plates. These were tiny. I have the scars to prove it!
P1340286.JPG

Next I'll tackle the proper colour and then the weathering.

Then I'll turn my attention to the river and the bridge surroundings....Gawd help me!

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Fat chance, Jim.
Mind you, that might suit one or two on here! ;)

Now, back to the bridge....
I've brushed on the main colour and changed the consistency of the paint to give slightly different shades.
I haven't a clue what the colour is, I just mixed browns, reds and orange in a cheapo watercolour paint box until I arrived at a close colour match.

P1340297.JPGP1340295.JPGP1340300.JPG

Next, I will tackle the weathering. particularly the base to try and show the rise and fall of the river level.

Then that should just about do for the bridge.

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
WOW is the only word the comes to mind Ron!!! The bridge is most excellent and looks the part Sir!!! It can't get any better than this.....Or???

Prost
Allen

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looking superb,
I asked my dad what them metal plates on buildings where for when i was a kid and he said there was a big shelf on the inside,but he also said when you heard an ice cream van it meant bring out your naughty kids so he can take em away!:flushed:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your most excellent posts chaps. :thumb2:

Mike, I don't know about photography skills. I'm a point and click merchant. My cheapo camera is stuck on autopilot. It has to be, I know stuff all about 'Posh settings'! :upside:

I've found composition is more important. Perhaps that's the secret.......;)

Cheers
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, I'm up for most things with a big blue vein in it! :flushed:

Meanwhile, back at the bridge.
Nearly there.
I've started the weathering process. I'll leave the final colour blending of the structure into the river until I've added mud, vegetation and stuff - At least, that's the plan.

Here's where I'm at. Brushed on with the same cheap acrylics.
P1340324.JPG

P1340326.JPG

Time to mount the bridge on a base....

Cheers.
Ron