First Name
Jakko
That’s one of the disadvantages of building big planes right there :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Having to use so many clamps to keep the wing halves together :smiling3: If it was 1:72 you could probably have gotten away with none at all, or at worst, two or three.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker B Trumpeter Scale 1:32 and what triggered this post and my presence here in forums.

I work with my friends on models for X-Plane flight simulator. Facebook link is here CRJ-700 Facebook Group, and our website is here Delta Wing Simulations
Please do not take is as any form of advertisement, it is just for these who would like to look, no harm done. ;)

I will be working on the SU-27 UK for the mentioned above simulator and in order to make a realistic 3D model, I needed some materials more than just pictures as pictures do not show the details and the way aircraft is built.
There are shapes and places that even the best pictures cannot give one the idea how are they constructed/built.

That was the major contributing factor to buy Su-27 Flanker B Trumpeter Scale 1:32 kit.
I was going to just glue the major components to see how the design look.
After joining this forum, I found out that there is many great, friendly people here willing to help, answering questions etc.
That had changed my original plan and instead of just putting it fast and roughly together, I will try to make a nice scale build out of it. :cool:
Go for it, some informed modellers/historians here....
And for me, a learning curve too
Edit; Ouuff fit issues, clamps etc....
Fight on
Nick

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There’s this really neat gizmo for that:

top.jpg

Buy some (different brands are also available :smiling3:) with pointed tips and with either straight or rounded ones, and you can probably get most parts into position fairly easily. Possibly after some practice :smiling3:

First Name
Andrzej
There’s this really neat gizmo for that:
Buy some (different brands are also available :smiling3:) with pointed tips and with either straight or rounded ones, and you can probably get most parts into position fairly easily. Possibly after some practice :smiling3:

Thanks, Jakko! :smiling:
Oh yes, I was smart enough just few days ago and got them.
I got this little part glued using the tweezers shown on screenshot but with fingers only..... I do not think so. :tongue-out3:
I got the normal and reverse action or whatever they call it. Necessity I would say.

IMG_1172.JPGIMG_1171.JPG

First Name
Andrzej
Here is the news, I broke the canopy.......
So at this point I will not worry about cockpit look which I messed up to start with and just concentrate on the outside. :smiling:
Learned something the VERY hard way, just life.

Somone might ask, how the h...l did you do it?
Well, I was just dry fitting it and it seemed to be too narrow, so I tried to open it up.
The plastic parts from the sprue are much more flexible and can be deformed if overbend carefully so I thought the same will happen with the canopy. I was wrong! :tongue-out3:

First Name
Andrzej
The broken canopy did not stop the fun. :smiling:

I wanted to paint a bit (airbrush newbie here as well) and I realized that the gun had to be removed from the bay for that. Removed it and broken it too. Reglued and it will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1178.JPG
    IMG_1178.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 9
First Name
Andrzej
To try to paint the cockpit a bit, joystick had to be removed. Removed but machined off the bottom of the connection. Worked well. :smiling:

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 11
First Name
Andrzej
And FINALLY, it was time for the airbrush.
Love it. Finish is so much better than when paining by hand.
Lots of learning even for the first "real" painting time, no testing.

Made me setup for airbrush cleaning, better than first time but still needs lots of improvements. :tongue-out3: I am talking cleaning setup, using the airbrush is a totally different animal. :nerd:
I could not stop looking at the finish, so cool. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 10

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Well, I was just dry fitting it and it seemed to be too narrow, so I tried to open it up.
The plastic parts from the sprue are much more flexible and can be deformed if overbend carefully so I thought the same will happen with the canopy. I was wrong! :tongue-out3:
Oops … :sad: Clear polystyrene is brittle, the pigments in coloured polystyrene not only make it opaque but also more flexible. Aircraft canopies are probably the worst bits in this respect, because of their shape they tend to be easier to break accidentally than more or less flat pieces like car windshields, headlight lenses, etc.

First Name
Andrzej
Today, I was browsing thru supplies, hundreds and hundreds of them.... and a question popped up in me head.

Can you use Tamiya primer and then paint some Vallejo acrylic coats?

I am not even close to that stage, of course but I would love to know your opinions on that.

Another question, can I use acrylic paint (base coat) on non-acrylic based primers?

Just curious on all these things.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tamiya primer then Vallejo paint….Definitely yes! Done that hundreds of times. The grey Tamiya primer is far better than the white primer though. It adheres better.
Acrylic paint over non acrylic primer….again definitely yes.

I have used almost everything paint wise over almost everything else primer wise over the years with no issues as to compatibility. As long as the primer is allowed to properly dry then the overlying paint does not react.