T-18 / MS1 another 1/35 Russian Tank

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You're a madman! I realise that some people enjoy a struggle, but this takes he biscuit.

Seriously John, good for you at having another go at one of these kits. Great work so far.
Your not wrong there Peter, twice this afternoon it nearly went in the bin, but I did something else while the glue was setting.
Many on here would no doubt make something of this, but for me the constant having to re drill every location hole is annoying to say the least.
But I've carried on, nearly all the suspension is built after a fashion, looks a bit odd in parts :smiling4:.
Started on the tracks, surprisingly they actually go together quite well ! Mind I've not come to any drive or ideler wheels, that will be later .

Hi John
Making progress and fit not too bad so far. That black glue looks odd.
Jim
Yes Jim it's odd alright, but just shows how much I manage to over glue.
The turret is made out of 6 angled sections, and a top and base. There has been much slicing and sanding, just have one section to fit tomorrow, then the turret can be glued on .
John .

Spent most of the day attempting to get my Moto G6 phone to link to the new pc, just spent a nother hr on the web trying to find where the developer section was on the phone, at last I have found it, and not the way it was suggested on the web ! Nothing seems to be straightforward does it .
Tomorrow may see success in transferring from the phone.

Sp

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hang in there JR. Hopefully things will look better tomorrow. Rick H.
Thanks Rick, after much searching on the phone I found the transfer data, all working well now, just got to get used to the new W10 Photo album.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening from Race Towers with grey clouds and slight sun here in South Lincs.
Progress has been made and moving on better than expected.
Ok now it's not to the standard that most of you manage but I've nearly got the suspension done, after a fashion.
The fact that I've got if done after I decided that I might have to bury it up to just under the top of the tracks.
The drawing looked most complicated, but working with one section at the time I've managed it
Front sprocket had have a wire glued in, and a corresponding hole drilled in the arm .
IMG_20190907_164626191.jpg

Then the parts glued , worked ok.
IMG_20190907_164637556.jpg

IMG_20190907_180311822.jpg

Bottom rollers on the right look as if they have gone over a rock ! Hopefully the track will follow.
Talking of.

IMG_20190907_180234548.jpg

Made a start, very small and have 3 pins one side and 2 the other, so linking is easy but have to be cleaned of flash.
IMG_20190907_181111046.jpgThis is where I'm up too, still have the back " parcel tray to do, but one of the bars snapped in two so repairs are on the list .
Thanks for looking in, all comments more than welcome.
Any one seen Steve Jones ?

John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Didn’t Steve say something about going on holiday?

Looks to be coming together John - wonder how much better the Hobbyboss will be?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hell JR, that thing reminds me of a heavily armed mouse trap! I just noticed how small it actually is. Even in 1/35 scale it is a tiny b*gger. Glad the tracks are coming together for you...should be seeing color on this soon. Cheers Rick H.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning John,

With all those rivets, I’m surprised Steve hasn’t popped in:smiling5: looking good so far John....it really is small!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Steve is back now from his hols so I'm sure he will pop in.
Ridiculously tiny and fiddly but you're certainly getting there.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Didn’t Steve say something about going on holiday?

Looks to be coming together John - wonder how much better the Hobbyboss will be?
Simon .
Just had a pm from Steve, you were right about being on holiday. Been on a tour of Rivet factories no doubt :smiling3::nerd:.
Hopefully the Hobbyboss will be better moulded dimension wise, with pins that fit !

Hell JR, that thing reminds me of a heavily armed mouse trap! I just noticed how small it actually is. Even in 1/35 scale it is a tiny b*gger. Glad the tracks are coming together for you...should be seeing color on this soon. Cheers Rick H.
Rick, mouse trap, that's a good description, just looking at it now side on I thought a Toon !

Morning John,

With all those rivets, I’m surprised Steve hasn’t popped in:smiling5: looking good so far John....it really is small!
Hi Si, yes the rivet detail is good, I think the turret looks like a massive one.:smiling3:

Hi John
Steve is back now from his hols so I'm sure he will pop in.
Ridiculously tiny and fiddly but you're certainly getting there.
Jim
Morning Jim, yes very small, pleased I managed to do the suspension.
Simon has found a Hobbyboss version, so both of us have sent for one. Considering build mine straight after this and have both of them in one dio.

Thanks for the comments.
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well the search party finally found me mate. Stuck in London and the Home Counties spending far too much in model shops. Great to see you getting to grips with this little Russian tankette. Lovely work mate

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That’s a cute little tankie
Thanks Lee. Cute is not the word I would choose at the moment, esp when trying to fit the tracks ! :smiling::smiling3::smiling3: it is however very short :surprised:.

Well the search party finally found me mate. Stuck in London and the Home Counties spending far too much in model shops. Great to see you getting to grips with this little Russian tankette. Lovely work mate
Good to have you back mate , thought you'd be abducted by the Darkside.
Thank you, hopefully it will be scrapped and dead finished tomorrow.:nerd:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR. I was studying your last progress pic. when it suddenly came to me...prehistoric R2D2!:tongue-out3: Sorry, Couldn't help myself. I'm sure that the tracks will make all the difference mate. Will this one also be Russian green or will you try a cammo scheme of some sort?
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:smiling5:......I love it!
Thanks Jim, don't we both like these kits :smiling3::smiling3:

JR. I was studying your last progress pic. when it suddenly came to me...prehistoric R2D2!:tongue-out3: Sorry, Couldn't help myself. I'm sure that the tracks will make all the difference mate. Will this one also be Russian green or will you try a cammo scheme of some sort?
Cheers, Rick H.
Hi Rick, R2D2 LIKE IT:smiling::smiling: after all this you want me to do a cammo as well .:flushed::cold-sweat:

1568018109332.png
There are no known cammo versions, this one above was fictional livery of a surviving T-18M from the summer campaign, Ukraine, winter 1941/42.
John.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Like that a lot! Give it a go JR. Cheers, Rick H.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now good news, it's done!!!!
IMG_20190909_182733225.jpg
Had to out a section of plastic card on the rear, shown on the box art but not in the kit !
IMG_20190909_182737640.jpg
Plastic handles are rubbish , far too thick, will make some more later .
IMG_20190909_182745179.jpg
Actually managed some track slack.
Tried gluing then whlie stuck to some Tamiya tape, worked if I managed the time right, too early o red too long they broke up.Tracks by no way perfect, but the gluing area was so small.
Use Revell Contac glue, allowed the bends .IMG_20190909_182956306.jpg

Off to the cleaning shop in the on, quick wash in IPA, then painting
Yes and just for Rick I'm going to do that cammo

Attachments

• 1568018109332.png
    1568018109332.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 1

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Ruskie FT-17, nice odd one John :thumb2: .

The rivets will be a weathers dream to use in a beat up scene:smiling:.

Pretty neat that black glue, absolutely very handy in seeing ones spots for improvement, we all need that from time till time:rolling:.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
What a funny looking little tankette. It will certainly look the DB's with that camo John. Good luck with the wet stuff