T 38 Amphibious Tank 1/35 scale by PARC models.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Interesting experiment 453.

last time I mixed summat I blew my eye brows off!
Thank you 570, I had thought what happens if ! But it didn't. Trousers still intact and all hair !
As of 1900 tonight it was unchanged in touch, might make another test piece tomorrow with less thinners in to see how that goes .:hungry:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
That really is the dogs dangly bits. The ground work with the eroded river bank is excellent and the planting is superb.
Thanks Paul, went back later and did a coat of paint in the river , also painted some flowers on one shrub while doing the tests .Will post the photo tomorrow .
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very impressive mate. Looking forward to seeing the update photos tomorrow

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
John, the PI&S water is much better than the Vallejo.

It sets over night and is some kind of cold cure two part silicone rubber so you get a nice solid rubber lump

Doesn't appear to be much if any shrinkage

Can be tinted with pigments

Downside is that when in liquid form it travels by capillary action so it can creep away from where you wanted it

According to PI&S this can be avoided by leaving it in the mixing pot for a while so it starts to thicken before pouring out on your base

It may be possible to create small waves once it reaches this stage but I haven't tried it yet

The silicone filler no doubt works out much better value and Ron gets great results with the stuff

Your experiments look promising

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, the PI&S water is much better than the Vallejo.

It sets over night and is some kind of cold cure two part silicone rubber so you get a nice solid rubber lump

Doesn't appear to be much if any shrinkage

Can be tinted with pigments

Downside is that when in liquid form it travels by capillary action so it can creep away from where you wanted it

According to PI&S this can be avoided by leaving it in the mixing pot for a while so it starts to thicken before pouring out on your base

It may be possible to create small waves once it reaches this stage but I haven't tried it yet

The silicone filler no doubt works out much better value and Ron gets great results with the stuff

Your experiments look promising
Morning Simon.

Not had a look yet, seem to remember the adhesive did take some time to dry .Might put them in the sun !

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Very interesting, John. I never thought to really try and thin the stuff I used on my Higgins boat. Seems like you are using a similar kind of product. I'll have to check that out myself. But I haven't got another floaty thing to do yet.
Good luck with it
Neil

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very interesting, John. I never thought to really try and thin the stuff I used on my Higgins boat. Seems like you are using a similar kind of product. I'll have to check that out myself. But I haven't got another floaty thing to do yet.
Good luck with it
Neil
Neil, thanks for commenting, I only decided to thin after see the guy on U tube, so can't take any credit. Seems to have worked .
John .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Water test part 3.

Good results to post.

I took the first 2 out side having been successful in lifting the mix from the lids and left them in the sun to fully dry.
Back at the bench I decided to attempt another mix. this time I measured out 120 mm then added 20 drops of thinner and mixed well.
No colour added and also placed in the sun.

By the afternoon the first 2 were still flexible but fully dry, while the 3 rd was dry on the outer face, but not removable .
This evening when I took the photo of the 3 rd it lifted , but was still sticky in the center.
Also no effect on the foam base material, had this been eaten that would have been the end !

Ist the one with slight oil colour.

IMG_4920.jpg A1.jpg
Side view

IMG_4923.jpg A4.jpg

The one with both the oil and Vallejo.

IMG_4921.jpg A2.jpg

Side view.

IMG_4922.jpg A3.jpg

Nice peaks but I think far too dark.

The foam.

IMG_4925.jpg A5.jpg

I didn't put it all over , but in one corner ( the top ) no after effects at-all

Now todays test .

IMG_4928.jpg  A6.jpg

Just starting to lift.

IMG_4929.jpg  A7.jpg

Pleasing results, think a little colour maybe required , not think there would be much if any wave like at sea.
More a slight undulation of water and some ripples.

To finish off I added some colour yesterday the the bank, one plant with some flowers, and a smaller log.
2nd photo shows the T38 in a test for depth .

IMG_4926.jpg  A8.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg  A9.jpg

Any comments and suggestions on the mixes would be helpful.
Thanks John .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Can't help with the mixes 453, but I do approve of the experiments and of course the result.

I like.......:thumb2:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi John,
I'm thinking that if this is a river there would be no waves other than the bow wave and wake of the tank. Maybe it's time for an experiment with a smooth surface to see how easy that is to achieve?and perhaps over a surface that is painted the same as your river bed?
Looking great John
Neil

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Verrrrrrrrrrry interesting !:thumb2:

Cheers Rick :smiling2:

Hi John,
I'm thinking that if this is a river there would be no waves other than the bow wave and wake of the tank. Maybe it's time for an experiment with a smooth surface to see how easy that is to achieve?and perhaps over a surface that is painted the same as your river bed?
Looking great John
Neil
Morning Neil.

Thanks , yes my thoughts as well .
In the past when I used a gross acrylic varnish for the water, brushed over the colour painted on the base it seemed ok, I attempted to add ripples and movement with the addition of W/N Gloss Gel .Dabbing this onto the dried varnish surface.
As in the photo.

IMG_3400.JPG
It was ok for a start into water, but don't want to go down the resin route, so might try to add some of the gel to the test pieces.
Will try now and come back later.

John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Professor Race,
Looks like your experiments are producing some interesting results!
Hope that whatever result you go with doesn’t spoil the excellent base:surprised:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Outstanding work mate!! You have progressed from fireman to brick maker to international scientist and expert foliage maker. Your talents are endless. The base is a real beautiee. I will have to make something for you one day and you can do a base for it . Bring on the water (and fish of course :smiling3:)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent gardening Dzohn. Looks like a blooming thesis on water making. I will take notes. PaulE

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I love your experiments JR, I was really surprised that after the track fail the only recovered part would consist of a plastic puddle. Really looking the biz now with that great groundwork.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Professor Race,
Looks like your experiments are producing some interesting results!
Hope that whatever result you go with doesn’t spoil the excellent base:surprised:
Hi Si, you'd be impressed here at Race Towers, did chicken in batter ,with stirfry veg, and a chicken pie ready for tomorrow.In fact I ate half the pie to night as it looked so good with it's flaky pastry top,c/w perfect weathering ! .
After these tests the conclusion is this method would be fine for a sea scapes but of no use for the river . So out with the varnish and the gloss gel. Will have to bed in the model with some filler and then paint the water around it ,so it should be do able..
Great looking base so far John.
Thanks Ralph.
Outstanding work mate!! You have progressed from fireman to brick maker to international scientist and expert foliage maker. Your talents are endless. The base is a real beautiee. I will have to make something for you one day and you can do a base for it . Bring on the water (and fish of course :smiling3:)
Your too kind mate . A great idea with the joint build Steve, we will have to pm about this, I'd love to do it .
Excellent gardening Dzohn. Looks like a blooming thesis on water making. I will take notes. PaulE

Thanks you kind Sir.
I love your experiments JR, I was really surprised that after the track fail the only recovered part would consist of a plastic puddle. Really looking the biz now with that great groundwork.
Glad you like them Mick, it's great fun trying things out, even better if they really work ! .

John .