T72B1

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Fun, fixing those blocks … But at least the separate parts means they get realistically not-quite-lined-up :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Agree with anything to make life easier - but do the 'adjustments' truly come under 'out of the box' I wonder - or is it the start of another amazing build?? ;) :smiling5::smiling5:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Go to the top of the class Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
So not a lot done yesterday as we had the tv engineer call to install a new system, what a great lad, or to put it another way, SWMBO said is was like watching an old Norman Wisdom film - he just did not stand a chance...
norman-wisdom-up-in-the-world-1957-BPB4B7.jpg
I told him how I wanted the cable to go and directed the operation...
2.jpg
All went well except for a few small hitches, such as me pulling the cable through the hole, and across the living room, and back again, and across the room again. Then the engineer explained to me (attentive student) how to attach the plug on the end of the cable, "You will need a tool like this and connectors like these..." So the new apprentice scuttled off to his shed and after a bit of crashing and banging arrived back "Will these do!!!!"
Anyway we soon had the job done, so today all I have to do is to route the cable through the back hall, under the dogs food cupboard, through the wall where I cannot reach the hole, out into the cubboard under the stairs, around the dvd racking/shelves, after first clearing all the stuff out of the cupboard, then laying on my stomach to feed the cable through the hole at the botton upriser on the stairs to finally reach the cable modem, and all under the watchfull gaze of SWMBO:confounded:
But I did manage to get a couple of hours on the bench...
20210413_145956.jpg
The front blocks are on and the etch comes with the kit, and if you look at the front you can see these...
20210413_150013.jpg
... four pegs. The instructions have you attach these after first cutting them from the sprue and cleaning them up, they are then c/a'd onto the brass plate that comes ready with holes in each corner - not for thes pegs but for two blocks to be added:tired:. My way is to locate the four pegs first, then once dry snip off the excess bit of sprue add the brass plate and then the blocks - pics later.
But I also made a start on the kit tracks - no way, after sticking the amount of blocks I went for the plastic workable track links, I found that the kit glue and shape ones did not fit correctly and was going to order metal ones but the workable ones saved the extra expense....
20210413_150033.jpg
And there we are, one cable guy wondering why it was him that had to come to the house, SWMBO wondering if there is a way to insulate the cupboard under the stairs ready for when company arrives, and me in total ignorance of the confusion I can cause once the leash is off.....
Mike.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Update,
So not a lot done yesterday as we had the tv engineer call to install a new system, what a great lad, or to put it another way, SWMBO said is was like watching an old Norman Wisdom film - he just did not stand a chance...
View attachment 419884
I told him how I wanted the cable to go and directed the operation...
View attachment 419885
All went well except for a few small hitches, such as me pulling the cable through the hole, and across the living room, and back again, and across the room again. Then the engineer explained to me (attentive student) how to attach the plug on the end of the cable, "You will need a tool like this and connectors like these..." So the new apprentice scuttled off to his shed and after a bit of crashing and banging arrived back "Will these do!!!!"
Anyway we soon had the job done, so today all I have to do is to route the cable through the back hall, under the dogs food cupboard, through the wall where I cannot reach the hole, out into the cubboard under the stairs, around the dvd racking/shelves, after first clearing all the stuff out of the cupboard, then laying on my stomach to feed the cable through the hole at the botton upriser on the stairs to finally reach the cable modem, and all under the watchfull gaze of SWMBO:confounded:
But I did manage to get a couple of hours on the bench...
View attachment 419886
The front blocks are on and the etch comes with the kit, and if you look at the front you can see these...
View attachment 419887
... four pegs. The instructions have you attach these after first cutting them from the sprue and cleaning them up, they are then c/a'd onto the brass plate that comes ready with holes in each corner - not for thes pegs but for two blocks to be added:tired:. My way is to locate the four pegs first, then once dry snip off the excess bit of sprue add the brass plate and then the blocks - pics later.
But I also made a start on the kit tracks - no way, after sticking the amount of blocks I went for the plastic workable track links, I found that the kit glue and shape ones did not fit correctly and was going to order metal ones but the workable ones saved the extra expense....
View attachment 419888
And there we are, one cable guy wondering why it was him that had to come to the house, SWMBO wondering if there is a way to insulate the cupboard under the stairs ready for when company arrives, and me in total ignorance of the confusion I can cause once the leash is off.....
Mike.
Mike are they Bronco tracks? I did a set for my Pz II and the plastic looks very similar.

Keep up the most excellent work.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh I just love this, do you think he will ever offer to come back ?

Nice track Jig , I have one, just have mine as an ornament :smiling3:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Mike are they Bronco tracks? I did a set for my Pz II and the plastic looks very similar.

Keep up the most excellent work.

Andrew
If the Bronco ones are part number TX100. then the answer is yes, as I only kept the box front and threw the tracks into the kit box to save space.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Oh I just love this, do you think he will ever offer to come back ?

Nice track Jig , I have one, just have mine as an ornament :smiling3:
Yes I used my track jig as a back scratcher for some time and then I discovered tracks, then I used it as an ornament....
So spent a couple of pleasant hours emptying stuff - I call it stuff because none of it is mine - it is all hers, there are bowls for this and pots for that, I discovered a carrier bag right in the back - full of carrier bags - why??? and an unused casserole steamer with a dead spider inside - pet said I, dirty look gave she.
So all the cable is now secure instead of snaking its way across the living room floor, and the constant shout from her of NO!!!! at the pup who wanted to chew through it. She found him today chewing the foot from the old cable modem, last I looked they were both fixed securely....
Grandpa went for a walk today - same clothes and shoes - I asked SWMBO if I should donate my old long johns with the back flap - got a very pitifull look....

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Today I succumbed to the dark side yet again, I know in the past I have been accused of living under their influence for far to long and it has affected my growth and mental faculties...
imp_tattoo_1.jpg
In the kit there are three different mantlet/barrel covers, which are made from this soft rubber type material, and I must confess I am not a fan - so out came the rubber moulding gear and one has been used as the master so that I will cast a resin one in a couple of days.
20210414_151609.jpg
(The 'rubber' one)
But why is he working on the turret - well the build is now into three parts - Hull, turret and tracks/wheels.
The turret at the start.
20210414_151531.jpg
As there is no elevating item I cemented the top to the bottom...
For my second confession today, I tried to use the kit light guards, and to be honest the round rods moulded are just not round! So out came the wire and the blow torch and here are the end results...
20210414_165926.jpg
And that is it for today, now off to see my analyst - sausage sandwich anyone.....
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update.
It has been a few days since I last posted, and what an eventfull few days it has been - But I am not going to bore you to death with the fact that I have now had my second jab and have the badge of honour to prove it, there have been no side effects, side effects, side effects. And now you may call me "Two-Jabs..." much better than I have been called in the past.
So the last post dealt with the headlight guards, and pretty they look - but it was during the test fitting of the first headlight that one of them just vanished, so undeterred I used the second one and that decided to take flight as well. So! it was nose to the carpet, all around the room, all the kits under the bench came out, spiders wintering in the dark recesses were evicted in the search, then it came down to drastic measures, the hoover, first it was cleaned out and then the room was hoovered - nothing.... Replaced all the furniture and then I saw it, laying in the middle of the floor all twisted and bent out of shape :crying:......
Anyway two more were produced this time under strict regulations and of thinner wire, the lights were fixed in position, as was the horn and the other little bit???
20210422_220015.jpg
20210422_220036.jpg
20210422_220058.jpg
I also decided to not use the rubber type gun mantlet cover, so used one as a master and made one from resin, which I destroyed trying to drill the hole for the barrel to a larger diameter, but the second one worked after some sanding and filing of the barrel, just where it fits into the hole on the mantlet cover..
20210422_220118.jpg
And this is where I am today plus wheels and some track built, next is the engine decking...
20210422_220146.jpg
Cheers
Mike

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice work Mike. That’s loaded with detail, and I think you need to increase your meds LOL.....

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Mike, mind if I join the "rabble".......just had a read through and couldn't help thinking about Mr. T's struggles with his Tamiya T62 about this time last year......and how he faffed about with the turret as it was a few mm's low in the front etc. Now I'm not one to start anything, but have you checked the turret dimensions of this T72 against the actual builders dimensions?.........wouldn't want you to go though all this effort with an OOB build and have an out of spec. turret Sir. :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out:.....just "gaffing" you Mike......Great progress on this and I actually like the second iteration of the light guards, as I think they are more to scale. I'll follow along with the innocents........ I know I don't belong in this group, but they make good camouflage!;) Rick H.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking good, didn't think that the 'OOTB' would last long ;) :thumb2: :smiling5::smiling5:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Mike.

ATB.

Andrew

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike, mind if I join the "rabble".......just had a read through and couldn't help thinking about Mr. T's struggles with his Tamiya T62 about this time last year......and how he faffed about with the turret as it was a few mm's low in the front etc. Now I'm not one to start anything, but have you checked the turret dimensions of this T72 against the actual builders dimensions?.........wouldn't want you to go though all this effort with an OOB build and have an out of spec. turret Sir. :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out:.....just "gaffing" you Mike......Great progress on this and I actually like the second iteration of the light guards, as I think they are more to scale. I'll follow along with the innocents........ I know I don't belong in this group, but they make good camouflage!;) Rick H.
Hello Rick,
You just stay over in your half of the forum, coming over here all leery about specs and dimensions, we have enough trouble staying out of trouble and not upsetting the serious ones :tongue-out3::smiling3:....
You are very welcome, and welcome at any time, and comments are always welcome good or bad. I will be honest with you, I have not checked one dimension with this kit, it could be a mile out or spot on, I bought the kit ages ago because I liked the look of it, and it got good reviews. And having started on it (the box is not getting any less) I have tried to keep any alterations to the minimum and OOB if possible. Pleased you like the light guard changes, and they do look more in scale.
Mike.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent solutions. PaulE

Last edited: