Tamiya - Daimler Dingo MkII - 1/35 (1972)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Hi Dale. I wouldn’t bother with IPA for the sprues, just use warm water and fairy liquid (or equivalent). Removing grease is what it’s designed to do.
The other potential problem for paint coverage and adhesion is finger grease applied when building the model……I usually wash mine when assembly is finished, but you are painting as you build so that would be a good use for your IPA.
Thanks Tim. Good call. I'll bear that in mind for future builds.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Just a quick fyi for those following this build. There may be a lull now in activity. I have to prep for an RPG this weekend, and I'm on holiday next week. Modelling should resume weekend of 21st/22nd. If I get the chance I'll wash and undercoat the figure sprue ready to start painting.
Edit - I also need to get some time for fishing. Too many hobbies, not enough time!

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
First wash in decades! lol. Thanks for the advice on the weird paint issue with the suspension, to those who commented. Following that advice I've given the figures a "wash". I did feel a bit daft standing at the sink, washing the sprue, but I could actually feel the difference afterward, to my surprise. The toothbrush is an old, very soft, first baby toothbrush, and is very gentle. As an added bonus, it glows in the dark, so I've never lost it:
First wash.jpg

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
A little more done tonight. Just a few of the little fiddly bits stuck on. Jerry cans, front box, exhaust etc. Not all of them, since I want to get most of the paint on before small bits that can easily be broken or lost. I assembled one of the figures too, and drilled a hole for the "base".
Why is that special? Glad you asked. Seen a lot of pics on here do just that. Mines a small tweak, but useful. I use a paper clip, bent to shape. Instant base, no foam required. Many sizes available too:
IMG_20210811_174039239.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice progress Dale. Good call on the paperclip. Two additional tweaks to it. Superglue the clip into the figure, then when he’s painted you can cut off the rest of the paperclip and glue him straight into a mounting hole on the base. Secondly, blu tack the paperclip onto a block of wood and you can hold him for painting without handling the figure itself.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Nothing to see here - just testing if my signature works!
Edit - no it does not!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Dale, enjoy your posts, nice style.
Build looks good.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Nice progress Dale. Good call on the paperclip. Two additional tweaks to it. Superglue the clip into the figure, then when he’s painted you can cut off the rest of the paperclip and glue him straight into a mounting hole on the base. Secondly, blu tack the paperclip onto a block of wood and you can hold him for painting without handling the figure itself.
Good call. Love it. Thanks Tim :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nothing to see here - just testing if my signature works!
You don’t need to post a new message to see that — just go to a page with an old post you made (and reload it if necessary). Signatures aren’t saved as part of the message, but tacked on by the forum every time you look at a page, so even old messages always show the current version of the signature, rather than what it was at the time you posted those messages.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
You don’t need to post a new message to see that — just go to a page with an old post you made (and reload it if necessary). Signatures aren’t saved as part of the message, but tacked on by the forum every time you look at a page, so even old messages always show the current version of the signature, rather than what it was at the time you posted those messages.
Yes, ta. I was trying to get hyperlinks in the signature using HTTP markup, but it's not having it for some reason? Nevermind.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
You were lucky no neighbour
First wash in decades! lol. Thanks for the advice on the weird paint issue with the suspension, to those who commented. Following that advice I've given the figures a "wash". I did feel a bit daft standing at the sink, washing the sprue, but I could actually feel the difference afterward, to my surprise. The toothbrush is an old, very soft, first baby toothbrush, and is very gentle. As an added bonus, it glows in the dark, so I've never lost it:
View attachment 430998
You were lucky no neighbours or friends dropped by for a chat, then try explaining it away....