Tamiya - Daimler Dingo MkII - 1/35 (1972)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Coming on nicely :thumb2:
I usually put my pigment,dirt/rust etc on after final matt coat mixed with thinned matt,not sure if that's right or wrong but have heard that putting the final matt over the top can obscure the colours quite a bit so I never chanced it.
Will keep that in mind, thank you. I'll do the decals, pin wash and oils, then Matt coat, pigments and so on in that case.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
What's the expression? All the gear, and no idea! Yup. Well, here goes:
IMG_20210828_143818677.jpg

Started with a pin wash of Van Dyke brown (gotta redo the insides again now), which I like. May need to do another, since the effect was lost a lot once dry:
IMG_20210828_145634485_HDR.jpg

Then went on to some colour modulation. I've gone for buff, for highlights, and ocher to darken areas (this is before, just so I know which oils I used!):
IMG_20210828_150219733_HDR.jpg

The buff certainly highlights well, but the ocher is a bit too light I think. May need another pass with a darker colour to deepen the contrast. This is after initial application, before blending:
IMG_20210828_151755261_HDR.jpg

And after a bit of blending. It will need another pass, then probably a filter too... I'll also be adding some "dust" (pigments):
IMG_20210828_154014830_HDR.jpg

I've still got to add the decals too, before I go much further. I've scanned those on the laptop at 300 and 600 dpi. If I really mess them up I can buy decal paper, print them out, and try again. As an added bonus I've now started to build a digital decal library. That may be useful in the future. (or may not!?).
Oh, I haven't painted all the little details yet. Shovel, jack, Jerry cans, straps and so on to do. I may use acrylics on those, so there's variation in the surfaces. I'll let this dry overnight, and add another layer of oils tomorrow.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
What's the expression? All the gear, and no idea! Yup. Well, here goes:
View attachment 432458

Started with a pin wash of Van Dyke brown (gotta redo the insides again now), which I like. May need to do another, since the effect was lost a lot once dry:
View attachment 432459

Then went on to some colour modulation. I've gone for buff, for highlights, and ocher to darken areas (this is before, just so I know which oils I used!):
View attachment 432460

The buff certainly highlights well, but the ocher is a bit too light I think. May need another pass with a darker colour to deepen the contrast. This is after initial application, before blending:
View attachment 432461

And after a bit of blending. It will need another pass, then probably a filter too... I'll also be adding some "dust" (pigments):
View attachment 432462

I've still got to add the decals too, before I go much further. I've scanned those on the laptop at 300 and 600 dpi. If I really mess them up I can buy decal paper, print them out, and try again. As an added bonus I've now started to build a digital decal library. That may be useful in the future. (or may not!?).
Oh, I haven't painted all the little details yet. Shovel, jack, Jerry cans, straps and so on to do. I may use acrylics on those, so there's variation in the surfaces. I'll let this dry overnight, and add another layer of oils tomorrow.
Mark,
That's the way build up the pin washes until you are happy with the result.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just caught up to this build......great progress so far! Never done much with oils so will be interesting to see how this comes out. Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dale
All looking good. Building up weathering effects in layers is a good way of going about it.
Jim

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Well I'd been dreading doing the decals because they're a bit of a bugbear of mine. These went on a treat though, and will be ;left to dry overnight before sealing with more gloss coat. I can then get on with some proper weathering. The kit's had a couple of pin washes, but I think it needs a darker black brown wash yet. Still not sure if this will get a base as I've no experience with the dart art of dioramas!
IMG_20210904_171440660.jpg

IMG_20210904_171408183.jpg

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Coming along well.
I've got a few needing bases but haven't taken the plunge yet either though I've been gathering supplies!

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Coming along well.
I've got a few needing bases but haven't taken the plunge yet either though I've been gathering supplies!
Thank you.
Look forward to seeing how you get on. So many great diorama builders on here to follow and get advice and tips.
If I do a base for this, and I think I'd like to, it will just be a simple desert scene. Perhaps an oil drum and a sign or two?

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Since I couldn't do much more oil weathering I started "chipping" with acrylics. The effect seems a bit over the top at the moment. I hope it will get dialled back a lot once I do a final buff filter, and apply some "sand" pigment powder. Anyway it's a first attempt, so i'll cut myself some slack! ;)
IMG_20210904_212959801.jpg
IMG_20210904_213013605.jpg

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looks alright for a first go mate :thumb2: some of my mud and rust attempts looked like the vehicle was driven at high speed through a black forest gateau !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dale

Coming on very nicely indeed. Very well done so far.

Andrew