Tamiya - Daimler Dingo MkII - 1/35 (1972)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Back from Scotland, so a bit more progress on the build. Most of the fiddly bits are fitted now, apart from the rear view mirror. That's just begging to be knocked off, so will be left until last, along with aerials (if I can find something thin enough for them).
I've done a couple of coats of buff to the Dingo, and started on the wheels with "German grey". It'll soon be time to put the wheels on, seal it with some varnish and do some decals...
IMG_20210824_191042020.jpg

And the little Dingo:
IMG_20210824_191046120.jpg

Once I've sealed it with varnish and put the decals on (something I always struggled with in the past!), I'll look to begin the process of weathering and colour modulation. Should be interesting, since I've never done it before! I think for this kit I'll keep it simple. Pin wash. Colour mod on panels. Maybe some lightening and highlighting. It'll either make the build, or completely ruin it. Fingers crossed ;)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Also just joined the MAFVA which seems a real bargain at the price. I'll contact my local branch (Suffolk) but expect I'll travel to some events in neighbouring counties too. Cambridgeshire - I'm looking at you!

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely!!

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dale
Really coming on now Decals vary a great deal depending on the manufacturer so stick with it. Using a decal setting/softener can really help.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Dale, just take your time. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
aerials (if I can find something thin enough for them).
Thin (0.3 mm or so) spring steel wire works well. Just don’t buy it coiled up — you’ll never get the curve out, so buy it in straight pieces.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Thin (0.3 mm or so) spring steel wire works well. Just don’t buy it coiled up — you’ll never get the curve out, so buy it in straight pieces.
Thanks all, appreciate the positivity, and the tips. I'll look for some fuse wire or similar. Cheers.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks all, appreciate the positivity, and the tips. I'll look for some fuse wire or similar. Cheers.
Fuze wire will be too soft Dale. It will bend if you look at it fiercely. Try somewhere like Eileens emporium or your local hobby shop and get some straight nickel silver wire.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Fuze wire will be too soft Dale. It will bend if you look at it fiercely. Try somewhere like Eileens emporium or your local hobby shop and get some straight nickel silver wire.
Thanks Tim. Looking at some 0.3mm wire for jewellery making in black. Looks good for the job. A spool should last a lifetime

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If it’s on a spool you will have trouble straightening it…try here Dale

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
If it’s on a spool you will have trouble straightening it…try here Dale
Thanks Tim. A veritable emporium indeed. My poor wallet. I'm not looking any further than wire... Well, maybe just a peek? ;)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Well, it felt really wrong to gloss varnish an AFV, but trusting in the process, advice, Youtube etc. that's what I've done. I used the Mig 2053 "Lucky" gloss varnish. Nice and thin so won't obscure surface details. Went on in a matter of minutes with a big brush. Now I have to wait 24 hours for it to completely cure, although it was touch dry in 10 mins,, then it's out with the oils, pigments and pencils:
IMG_20210827_170126114_HDR.jpg

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Coming on nicely :thumb2:
I usually put my pigment,dirt/rust etc on after final matt coat mixed with thinned matt,not sure if that's right or wrong but have heard that putting the final matt over the top can obscure the colours quite a bit so I never chanced it.