Three Arnhem Busts

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Super doopah Pierre,He does have a look of Sosabowski about him indeed.Shame the casting fought you a bit,Maybe lil ol Mookies might do a Battledress clad Urqhuart sometime as Arnhem is a great area of interest sculpting wise.Glad my stash surplus is put to good use,Pleasures all mine.
Richard.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Si - Many thanks for looking in. Glad you like him.

Richard - Glad you like what I've done with him - thanks again. These V-Busts tend to be done in trios, but I can't find out what the other two subjects may have been, if there were any. Funny that the only Urquhart bust available is the Sean Connery one. Over to you?

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Speedy Gonzales LOL

Is that Vallejo English uniform?

Are you still going to do the film coloured denison which seems to be a very washed out 30 year old original?

Which ever, it will be worth seeing your results, especially as this is your first "real" alive person, that I can remember?

Clear cold but no frost here, mild weather on the way, so the BBC say!

Have another good day with the paints

Seems like the sore throat & earache didn't hold you back

Feeling better now?

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

Feeling worse. Raging sore throat and earache. My wife finally recovered after six weeks, so hopefully I shouldn't be too far behind.

Yes, Vallejo English Uniform. It's a bit too brown and I did try and temper it by adding green, but found it too hard to control and just went with it. I'm going to do the Denison in slightly fresher condition.

Also, you're forgetting the Telly Savalas, Clint Eastwood, Donald Sutherland etc that I did for you. I've also done Morgan Freeman, Denzil Washington and someone from Game of Thrones.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm an admirer of your work Peter you truly are a gifted figure painter.
On the Arnhem topic, my grandfather was a Sexton SPG driver with Leicestershire Yeomanry and was part of XXX corp. There's pretty famous photographs of the regiment crossing Nijmegen bridge.
Awesome John Frost can't wait for Connery! Get well soon fella.

Paul

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice and smooth paintwork Peter :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
As always a lesson in how it should be done - superb even given a slightly iffy casting,
Take care of yourself and recover soon.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Paul - Thanks for your kind words. Sounds like your grandfather was in the thick of it at Arnhem - that's quite some family connection.

Steve - Perhaps some tips from one who is never ill might help. How do you do it?

Steven - Many thanks.

Jim - Glad you like Frosty. Looks slightly better in the daylight.

On to Sean then:

100_5735.JPG100_5736.JPG100_5737.JPG

This was lovely to work on - a quality sculpt and casting with no worries about niggling lumps and bumps. Young B Song has captured Sean Connery perfectly. Trouble was, that I found myself continuously doing the voish, Mish Monneypenny.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

D'oooh

What a goose I am!!

Has it been nearly a year since the Kelly's quartet?

It has indeed, and they are sat on my desk, as inspiration!

Sorry about that lapse of memory, its an age thing.

What a great sculpt and well painted too.

Hopefully you can "power" through the aches and pains,

sorry about the work based ""Bu££$**t"" LOL

Take care and have fun with the Denison today

Its raining here and is predicted for the next 2/3 days, back to flooding possibly!!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

No worries, a year is a long time. I worry about my memory too sometimes, but my wife assures me that it's normal at this age to have lapses. She has no bed-side manner, so I know it's the truth.

Raining here and we're in for another short ,dark day. Let's see how much of the Denison we can get done.

First Name
Andrew
Whizzing along as usual, Mr D!
Glad to see your health and short days aren't stopping you. Lovely work, as usual.
(Blokes getting older - 1st we forget names, then we forget to pull up our flies. The last stage is forgetting to pull them down!!)
(As usual , you can rely on me to lower the tone!)
Andy

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Andy.

The memory thing has been going on for some time. Shortly after my second daughter was born we were on a shopping trip to M&S, and an old lady came up and asked the baby's name. For the life of me I couldn't remember, and my wife had to step in to stop me being arrested. It was sheer exhaustion that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

Some progress:

100_5739.JPG100_5740.JPG

Not finished yet - still the back, shoulder boards and binoculars to do, plus the inevitable tweaking.

On to the Denison then. The Vallejo colours I used for the camo were Russian Uniform, German Camo Extra Dark Green and Saddle Brown, mixed with German Camo Black Brown and Off White for lightening and darkening. The corduroy collar took ages, as I found the only way to do it was to paint in the lines by hand. I find Denison smocks slightly easier to paint than other camos, as the pattern is made up of fairly large, sweeping strokes. As these are inevitably broken up by the patch pockets, seams and joins, you don't have to worry too much about copying the reference too faithfully. The only area where I'll have to draw the pattern accurately is across the back.

The final job today was to adjust the skin tones on his neck to match the lighting on the tunic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
One of the best renditions of Denison camo smocks i have ever seen my friend.The subtle tones look faded and not garish like many renditions i have seen before.Perfection i think with this one Pierre.
Pip pip onk onk.
Rich.

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - Glad you like him so far.

Jim - At least he doesn't look like Michael Caine.

Richard - Thank you mon ami. I've tried to keep the various colours close in tone so that it looks clean, but not too new. Always a bit of a balancing act.