Tim’s 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk VI

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks gorgeous tim , ah the keep off section decal - a recurring problem for any mosquito builder , why dont the kit makers just supply a border rectangle without any carrier film in the middle and two single lines for the diagonals , im sure it wouldnt be beyond most peoples skill level to put the three decals on . It would eliminate the large carrier film in the middle that causes so many problems .

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Really,Really nice Tim:thumb2:,
I`m just behind you again now...... so picking up the little hints still!!;)
Cracking stuff mate:cool:,
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks gorgeous tim , ah the keep off section decal - a recurring problem for any mosquito builder , why dont the kit makers just supply a border rectangle without any carrier film in the middle and two single lines for the diagonals , im sure it wouldnt be beyond most peoples skill level to put the three decals on . It would eliminate the large carrier film in the middle that causes so many problems .
The Airfix 1/72 Spitfire I built a few years ago basically did that, albeit it was a right angle and not a square.

Tim, looking really good despite the bubbles.

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Tony. Not beyond the wit of man to just die cut the carrier from middle of the various triangles either…..the other option for Tamiya is to use decal material that will actually conform to the surface ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's one decal that cries out to be masked and sprayed, which is probably why the "keep off" is seperate.
Tonys idea carries merit too, could maybe trim the decal to suit too.
All a bit too late now Karl, unfortunately. I must admit, if I was painting a 1/32 version I would use masks for all the main markings. Decals start getting too unwieldy at this size.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The Airfix 1/72 Spitfire I built a few years ago basically did that, albeit it was a right angle and not a square.

Tim, looking really good despite the bubbles.

ATB

Andrew
Cheers Andrew. I’m hoping they won’t show too much…..

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Andy. Glad you like it. Best hint I can give you for this stage is only use Tamiya decals if you really have to :tongue-out3:
Funnily enough Tim,I actually have a Montex stencil set for the markings etc that I had considered using..... Only problem with that is ...
.....  NEVER tried that type of thing before,so I'm worried about butchering the camouflage scheme if I stuff em up!! ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Funnily enough Tim,I actually have a Montex stencil set for the markings etc that I had considered using..... Only problem with that is ...
.....  NEVER tried that type of thing before,so I'm worried about butchering the camouflage scheme if I stuff em up!! ;)
Got to try them sometime, or there’s no point buying them Andy ;) Must admit, I’ve never used them, but they can’t be any harder than canopy masks…..can they?

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Got to try them sometime, or there’s no point buying them Andy ;) Must admit, I’ve never used them, but they can’t be any harder than canopy masks…..can they?
You're probably spot on there Tim....
It can't be any harder than canopy masks......
..... Although I'm sure I can make it look like it!! ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very good work on the decals Tim. Always a testing time especially if they take a lot to get them to snuggle down.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, I got there. It felt like I was dragging a real one down the runway at times. Not my favourite build by a long chalk, but it’s come out OK…..

De Havilland Mosquito FB MkVI, NT202 AJ-N.
617 squadron July/August 1944. Flown by Group Captain Leonard Cheshire VC, OM, DSO and two bars and DFC. His philanthropic endeavours are even more worthy of note than his military service. Look him up!

C7B8DB80-0E39-4D2A-865F-D70833C0D209.jpeg
More shots in the completed section for those that are interested…..

Last edited: