Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XII

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not much progress over the last week. Finished sanding the joints (which I find very tedious) and got back to sticking things on this morning…
2131CCFD-49EC-48FF-809B-9542702D7405.jpeg
To use Andrew’s technical language…tail sticky outy uppy downny things on and vertical slidy sideways thing also on….nice to get a little animation into them. I like to think the pilot shoved the stick forward getting out….underwing stuff and wing flappy rolly things next I think.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Tim!!!

I ended up looking it up as I still had a complete blank.....

According to NASA, the fixed sticky out bits are stabilisers....genuinely don't think I new that.... The bits that move on the horizontal stabilisers are of course elevators.....I always get them and ailerons mixed up!

For anyone else who is technically challenged on planes, this article was very helpful....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on nicely Tim!!!

I ended up looking it up as I still had a complete blank.....

According to NASA, the fixed sticky out bits are stabilisers....genuinely don't think I new that.... The bits that move on the horizontal stabilisers are of course elevators.....I always get them and ailerons mixed up!

For anyone else who is technically challenged on planes, this article was very helpful....

Cheers mate. Sorry about the teasing, but it made a dull post a little more interesting…..if you think about the elevators a little, they change pitch, by pushing the tail up or down. Tail up, plane down, and vice versa…..
Ailerons are set so when one goes up the other goes down. The one that goes down moves it’s wing up, and the one that up moves it’s wing down. This generates roll, moving the wings in relation to the horizon. A combination of change in roll with a change in pitch allows the aircraft to perform complex manoeuvres or turn more quickly.
The vertical rudder does exactly the same job as a rudder on a sailing ship. It can be used to turn the plane, albeit slowly, but is mostly used to counteract the effects of wind by changing the position of the aircraft in the airstream and keeping the aircraft on course. It can be seen in use if you watch an aircraft land in a sidewind. You can also see it in low flying light aircraft when travelling by air. If the light aircraft appears to be flying diagonally the rudder is being used to counteract wind and keep the aircraft on course.

I find this very easy to visualise in my head, but found it very difficult to write clearly. If I’ve got it wrong, please shout out…

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cheers mate. Sorry about the teasing, but it made a dull post a little more interesting…..if you think about the elevators a little, they change pitch, by pushing the tail up or down. Tail up, plane down, and vice versa…..
Ailerons are set so when one goes up the other goes down. The one that goes down moves it’s wing up, and the one that up moves it’s wing down. This generates roll, moving the wings in relation to the horizon. A combination of change in roll with a change in pitch allows the aircraft to perform complex manoeuvres or turn more quickly.
The vertical rudder does exactly the same job as a rudder on a sailing ship. It can be used to turn the plane, albeit slowly, but is mostly used to counteract the effects of wind by changing the position of the aircraft in the airstream and keeping the aircraft on course. It can be seen in use if you watch an aircraft land in a sidewind. You can also see it in low flying light aircraft when travelling by air. If the light aircraft appears to be flying diagonally the rudder is being used to counteract wind and keep the aircraft on course.

I find this very easy to visualise in my head, but found it very difficult to write clearly. If I’ve got it wrong, please shout out…
No need to apologise!! It made me laugh... And yes you're right in on all other counts.... At least as far as NASA is concerned!!! ;) :smiling5:

In all seriousness though, as you say, I think it is easier to visualise than right down!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nice job on those dings-bümms Tim and thanks for the wing thingy 101 class too!!!...I used to know all that when I built wing thingy's about 50 years ago..............Sucks getting old!!!!.....

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job on those dings-bümms Tim and thanks for the wing thingy 101 class too!!!...I used to know all that when I built wing thingy's about 50 years ago..............Sucks getting old!!!!.....

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen. Certainly does LOL.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming along nicely Tim.
Thanks Ian. Seems to be dragging a little, but then, I haven’t been at the bench quite as much as usual recently. Got some decorating going on….

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Tim. That office chair looks Awesome. Coming along nicely with the rest of the build also.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very late as usual Tim, sorry

Coming along very nicely, lovely!!

Bob
Bob mate, your “excuse me” note from earlier is still valid so no excuses necessary. Glad you like it. Looking forward to painting it now to be honest…..but still got a bit more to do.