Tonight,Long stick goes Boom.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'd say you're a natural, for all your lack of confidence. This is top stuff, Andy, looking forward to seeing the rest of it come together.

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'd say you're a natural, for all your lack of confidence. This is top stuff, Andy, looking forward to seeing the rest of it come together.
Thanks very much Neil,
I`m gaining in confidence the more i go along...... in fact i`ve just ordered a load of various Plasticard strips and sheets so i think i really must`ve caught the "Scratchery" bug!! :nerd:
Andy

• Haha

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Outstanding use of scraps from the bench. Luvin your work sir. Any thoughts on how to do the lens yet??

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Right then Guys,an update.........
My plans for the searchlight seemed well worked out,i started with this........
IMG20201118163855.jpg
Obviously there will be parts that won`t be covered by the bits that you can see above,and as i go along i will have to add/look for there and then.
That lot are to cover the build of the internals,the Searchlight body is thus.......
IMG20201118161100.jpg
OK then,this is where "Mr.Smartarse" realised he`d cocked up!:anguished: To explain,The Top left is a Locking nut from a multi tap plumbing elbow..... I thought that the Larger version would give me the perfect bracket for the Light`s drum once cut in half.however,i got the measurements COMPLETELY wrong........ from the grainy or posed pics i`ve been looking at,so my attempts are,(apart from the frontal,sealing ring,which will be tidied up)!!:rolling:
I`m still full on doing stuff mind.....So if you look at the top of that pic,you can see my lighting links for the 3mm LED,i`ve dry tested it,and it`s very bright,so that side of things are good:thumb2: !
As for the Light tub itself,i`m gonna stick with it,it`s not going well paintwise,i`ve tried putting the primer,and Green on,but it flakes off! Never had that problem before,but i`ll get round it........... I hope;)!!
IMG20201118160236.jpg
BUT!!!..... and there`s always a "BUT":smiling:!.........................
On the "proper Plastic" front once more........ I needed a Lewis Gun for the MG position on my "Long Stick" Dio,and as i didn`t have one, (and i could do with some "extras" for my recently acquired ,various British/Commonwealth Figures..... which I must admit,are MOST excellent:nerd:),
I`m now liking "Gekko" models,"Riich Models" especially,(I`m not an agent for them at all BTW!!),They may be more expensive ,but they`re worth it!!;)
Not the best of updates,but that`s where i`m t at the mo!!..... Loads of problems,but possible solutions......I got a head ache!!:surprised:
Thanks for looking in..... if you dare!!!
Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Your head might hurt a little but look at what you have accomplished so far.........basically a lot from not much at all! Talk about unconventional modeling materials....this takes the cake. Nicely done. Rick H. :thumb2:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some excellent scratchery. I think you'll need to make a pair of wheels flexible or phony up some linkage hooked up to the hitch to pretend they are. PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
i think your paint issue is because the item is made of polythene, like the old airfix soldiers. The perceived wisdom on painting those these days is to first prime with Gesso or PVA glue. Apparently plasticote spray paint works as well.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

That is done seriously top notch scratchery. Very well done indeed!

ATB

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Your head might hurt a little but look at what you have accomplished so far.........basically a lot from not much at all! Talk about unconventional modeling materials....this takes the cake. Nicely done. Rick H. :thumb2:
HA! Cheers Rick,much appreciated,
It`s quite rewarding using bits of "Leftovers" and finding unusual sources to hack about and make use of:thumb2: !

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Some excellent scratchery. I think you'll need to make a pair of wheels flexible or phony up some linkage hooked up to the hitch to pretend they are. PaulE
Good point and well made mate! I may well have a go at that,although to be honest,i`ve come so far now it may be a little too awkard to make those changes:thinking:....... I`ll ponder that thought.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
i think your paint issue is because the item is made of polythene, like the old airfix soldiers. The perceived wisdom on painting those these days is to first prime with Gesso or PVA glue. Apparently plasticote spray paint works as well.
Thanks for that Tim..... a nice hint there:thumb2:! I actually have a few "Plasticote" rattle cans in the garage,i tried the White Primer,then went over it with OD and Hey Presto!!......... It worked a treat:hungry:,nice one mate!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Glad that worked Andy, I’ve never tried it, just read it lots of times. I suppose the clue is in the name.....the item is plastic and you needed to coat it....hence plasticote....

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hello Chaps:hungry:,
A bit of an update,although i have to admit that the Searchlight itself is proving to be much more Taxing than the Trailer!
It`s taken a lot of hacking and bashing,(not to mention time!),to get not very far:dizzy:.I`ve decided against the tin foil as the reflector,and bought a £1 baking tray to cut one out...... it should provide a much smoother suface-well,that`s the plan anyway!!:thinking:
For those who have not seen what i`m trying to make,here`s one of my ref pics......
Search 3.jpg
The difficulty that`s caused the delay is the "Wishbone" arm that the Tub itself sits in,(as Richard F pointed out early Doors),after much head scratching i thought of an electrical conduit terminal box,the diameter of which is just about perfect! so i cut it above the locating lugs.....
IMG20201120141754.jpg
Then sliced it down to a width of 8mm........
IMG20201120145730.jpg
....... and finally,shaved off the Lugs to leave a "Pad to take the pivoting wire.........
IMG20201120214257.jpg
That done i could attach it to the "Tub"...... the flexibility of it means i can just open it up a little and pop the pins into the small tubing recepticals that i glued into the tub side.........
IMG20201121145207.jpg
The picture`s not great,but you get the idea! Next is to bulk up the bottom of the arm so i can then fix in the locating pin to place it onto the trailer...... still pondering that one!:rolling:
So that`s it so far,get that arm done and detailing the drum itself will be a doddle!:thumb2:
It will rotate,swing up,and of course light up,so up to now i`m fairly happy with it,although,of course,it`s not that accurate...... but the best i can do!
Thanks for looking in,and as always,any thoughts,hints,tips or plain old abuse is more than welcomed!!
Cheers,
Andy