Trench Sections in Progress.

First Name
Andrew
Thanks Mike,
The book is well under way. I've reached my target area of 40,000 - 45,000 words. I have to finish the models now so I can photograph the finished articles. The book will have about 250-300 colour photos. Mike Butler will paint some more figures for me, so I have to send them to New Zealand.
Andy

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry to hear you're being hit with bad health. Can't add anything else that has been said except the guy wtih the Lewis would have been nice having a canvas covered Brody. :smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Andrew
Just a small update. I was able to go to work this week, although I'm still being woken through the nights with Shingles pain. It's a horrible illness! I've got to the itchy stage, so it's on the way out, thank the Lord!
I've been preparing these two figures to send to New Zealand. Mike Butler has agreed to paint them for me!! Who wouldn't want Mike to do his wonders on their work??!! I will send them along with the two figure which go in my dugout model (One lying asleep and the other reading a map.)
The following photos show what I did last week. The officer has a respirator bag whose strap is pulled down the middle of the back by the cord which runs round his chest. I made the bag and strap in Magi Sculpt and a bit of fuse wire for the cord. I've made some tiny little 'D' rings on the bags which the cords tie to. I had to remake ones for the Lewis gunner as I've reversed his bag and they are now on the back of the bag.
I made a little foil badge for the top of my folding periscope. This is the manufacturer's brand badge.
I've been checking over the figures for rough bits before they go down under. I'm sending a base for Mike which I made. That's under wraps until he shows it painted. He has some figures to go on it, so another joint project.

AndyWP_20191122_13_57_19_Pro.jpgWP_20191122_13_57_49_Pro.jpgWP_20191122_13_58_46_Pro.jpgWP_20191122_13_59_34_Pro.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Lovely work Andy. Glad to hear that you're working your way through the shingles, even though you have to put up with the itching.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely figures Andy and envious having Mr Buttler paint them for you.

Shingles...brrrr. The Chinese call it Snake as the rash spreads around the body like a snake coiling. They say that if the two ends meet means its severe and can lead to death. Thank goodness you're coming out of it.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your work never fails to impress me Andy. Just shows what can be acheived, this can either inspire the viewer or induce them to give up.:surprised:
I take the first one !

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to hear your getting better Andy. The figures are a credit to your professionalism. Great to hear Mike's painting them for you. If you ever want to go for the play skool look send them my way LOL

First Name
Andrew
Thanks guys. I hope I don't intimidate anyone, but understand what you're saying John. I have times when I think "why bother? when I look at what Mike achieves with paint. But then I stop and think it's my hobby and I do it for the enjoyment not to compete.
Andy

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some beautiful work under duress, Andy. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Figures are stunning and painted they will be simply "the best". Like John I find looking at really top quality work inspiring although I am under no illusions as to my own limitations.
As for Shingles :sad: I had a very mild dose last year. Itchy, itchy - drove me mad.
Jim

First Name
Andrew
Just a small update. I changed the vertical posts on my German trench section so that I could add cross beams. Another typical German idea. As well as holding the posts against the walls, they could be used to add camouflage of overhead cover. I raided my garden for more suitable twigs.

DSCN0015.JPGDSCN0014.JPG

Previously the section looked like this. The figure is still half painted!
german 12-001.JPG

This is the German trench at Hawthorne Trench in Elham, Kent. Well worth a visit.
german 4-001.JPG

First Name
Andrew
I'll try to post some more photos when I can. All I've managed to do recently is add some SRD rum jars (made by Jon Smith Modellbau). Life has conspired against me again with my dad nearly dying again on Friday. I rushed down from work, while he went into hospital unconscious with sepsis. He rallied yet again on Sunday, so he has a little longer with us, thanks to the wonderful care of the NHS, bless them. Last Christmas was spoilt by my brother-in-law very, very, very nearly dying but again the NHS and lots of prayer means that he'll spend this Christmas alive and conscious. Long live the NHS!! I'm knackered and needed a short sleep on my work bench mid morning.
My parcel got to Mike Butler in NZ yesterday. Although the tracking told me it was delivered, he hadn't got it!??? It went to a neighbour - Phew!!!! The parcel contains 4 of these figures for him to paint, plus goodies for him. I've made a base for him, but that's a secret until he reveals it.
Andy

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Just caught up with this thread, I've one word amazing, brilliant, sorry that two words. All the best for the future it sounds like you've had one helluva year.

First Name
Andrew
Here are my rum jars which come broken and together. I have some pieces on the parapet of my wet soil section. The top part or neck is down the slope near to ratty under the German helmet.
WP_20191210_13_43_55_Pro.jpg

I have to full jars in the corner at the head end of my bed. Mike has the figure who will be asleep on it.
WP_20191210_13_46_35_Pro.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Lovely work Andy. I could move into that dugout and feel quite at home. Looks cosy (I know they weren't).

Hope the family dramas are settling down. You've certainly been through the last couple of years.

First Name
Andrew
Lovely work Andy. I could move into that dugout and feel quite at home. Looks cosy (I know they weren't).

Hope the family dramas are settling down. You've certainly been through the last couple of years.
Thanks Peter. 'All Quiet on the Western Front' presently. thank the Lord. (I am knackered, but my faith is strong!)
Andy