Tropical Groundwork Scene

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
The alterations to the figure are excellent.
Jim
Thanks Jim, he still has a bit more to go.

Richard,
Agreed! Ingredients can be obtained relatively locally but are generally pricey and patchy in availability - agree with the friendly comment - nothing but smiles and welcomes! We're also lucky in that several of Kate's staff and friends are either native to. or resident in the area, so we have benefited from introductions and welcomes wherever we go!
Steve
Steve,
It's the same here when shopping for imported ingredients like butter and cheese. I just made Tisha's Malaysian Roti Pratha...easy just pop it onto a non-stick pan with no oil and let it raise. Dahl was homemade with added vege. Actually a lot cheaper eating out. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, back to Pakchik or Tuan Haji...
After the body was done I had to find a suitable head. A friend gave me a whole batch of them and I chose one that had a Mid-Eastern look wearing a Fez.

rr0164.jpgrr0165.jpg

I soon whittled down the fez into a skull cap

rr0168.jpg

And posed him looking left....

rr0169.jpg

This is him with the Stug Commanders arms...

rr0170.jpgrr0171.jpg

To add character I fashioned a goatee with putty.Now he really looks like a Tuan Haji (an old Muslim whose done his Haj)...

rr0175.jpgrr0176.jpgrr0177.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Next figure modification is the young Chinese guy squatting and enjoying a cigarette. This I know is modified from a Vietcong from Dragon.

rr0159.jpg

I gave him a butterfly collar and his shirt untucked. I didn't have to do much with his face and feet as he was appropriately Asiatic.

rr0160.jpg rr0166.jpg

I wanted him in short sleeves so I scrapped and carved off just above the elbow.

rr0173.jpgrr0174.jpgrr0180.jpg

I would soon give him a 70's hairstyle and replace his stub of a cigarette to a finer one with stretched sprue.

rr0181.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
The figures are superb mate I am taking notes because one day I will have a go at modifying a figure.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
The figures are superb mate I am taking notes because one day I will have a go at modifying a figure.
Thanks Scottie, modifying figures is fun especially if you come across body parts that click with the pose you want. Also it's a precursor to scratching figures. The other is you're not constrained when composing the scene in your mind. Look forward to your first figure mods.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, I was just watching some travel documentaries about the Outer and Inner Hebrides...that's where you used to live wasn't it? Lovely quiet and open landscape. The beaches and cliffs are spectacular and many types of lichen and moss for dioramas too.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another master class in figures and making clothing, thanks Richard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Another master class in figures and making clothing, thanks Richard.
Thanks John, noticed you also doing some figure surgery and pretty good too. Although a word of advice is to warn some like Steve about impending amputations.:smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Richard, I have been following along in the background and getting thoroughly depressed. Is there any kind of modelling you don't excell at ? Ships, figures, groundwork, etc. You make them all look so easy !!
Carry on, please, it is a pleasure to watch
Regards,
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Catwalk modelling for starters John. :smiling2: I didn't start out like this...takes years of practice and also the interest has been constant since at a very young age with a minor hiccup when puberty hit. I steer away from Sci Fi and struggle at armour modifications and figure painting but still try.

Appreciating what you have created on your own should be the goal and going one step further the inspiration.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
There was some major work done for the Senoi Prak Scout to get him to lean against the Landrover front.

rr0185.jpg

His right arm had to be cut in three places, right leg shifted sharply higher and head replaced with an Asian ARVN head. I think the body is from the LRRP kit.

rr0186.jpgrr0209.jpg

The left arm didn't have to be modified much. Putty filled in any gaps showing...

rr0210.jpg

...and any remaining was used to form a beret.

rr0216.jpgrr0217.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
This may look a bit awkward but he really is in a comfortable position to eat durian...any position is possible if you love the fruit. Because of the contortion he's in I had to plug the gap in his groin with putty. His right cheek was puffed up with the same putty as if he has a large seed in his mouth.

rr0187.jpg

The jungle cap has the outer brim trimmed which was a practice by the troops as the brim tended to flop down when wet or after a heavy downpour of rain.

rr0188.jpg

I didn't have any more progress shots of him so here he is whacking his durian...

rr0304.jpg

His SLR nearby should he need it. The sling was made from typewriting paper. I just realised I didn't paint the fuel cap red as it usually was.

rr0307.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Neil, I didn't have to break a sweat to think about the durian eating pose. I could have made him squat as that's a favorite pose at durian stalls or orchard. Not under the tree unless you want head surgery...'cos wounds can be as severe as one inflicted by medieval spiked balls on a chain. Or you can call them punji sticks from the sky.

Cheers,
Richard