Tropical Groundwork Scene

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Richard, my eyes are at the point that while I can read comfortably, fine work needs magnification - luckily patience I've got in spades - watching paint dry is not a problem!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard, my eyes are at the point that while I can read comfortably, fine work needs magnification - luckily patience I've got in spades - watching paint dry is not a problem!
Then you'll love it while waiting for resin cures.:tongue-out2: Very nail biting for me.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Then you'll love it while waiting for resin cures.:tongue-out2: Very nail biting for me.

Cheers,
Richard
Wouldn't say that I enjoy waiting, just that I can wait till the cows come home if it's needed - though sometimes when doing a model, impatience can get to me & I'll try and rush ahead, and have to sit back and give myself a 'good talking to' to slow down!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Fantastic "scratchery" Richard....I was very impressed with the consistency you achieved in making all the "flip flops" and "clogs".......well done Sir! Rick H. :thumb2:

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Richard, I was watching your build a few weeks back and then dropped the ball a bit.

Having rediscovered it I have to say your talent and attention to detail is amazing

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Rick and Dan,
You should have seen the number of rejects...the first few experiments either were fit for giants or Gary Glitter. :tears-of-joy: As for details, I had no choice as there aren't many accessories of local stuff and making them was a challenge I was happy to make. Observing the antiques while walking down the old streets of Penang also conjures ideas to add to scenes of that era.
I'm glad you both like the dio.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Not only do we get a masterclass in modelling and attention to detail but also a culinary tour of South east Asia and an insight into the electrical supply in the area :tongue-out3:
It truly is exceptional work.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you very much Jim, appreciate the kind comment. Glad you like the Asian tour.
Have you tried Satay(barbequed meat on wooden skewers)? I've always wanted to do a satay stall. Having it al-fresco straight from the barbi with peanut sauce and compacted steamed glutinous rice wrapped with palm leaves accompanied with onions and cucumber...yum yum.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Paul, glad you still like it.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I realised I had stopped short of showing the completion of the telegraph wire pole...

Using guitar string attached through holes drilled through the insulators and fixed with CA. The looped connectors are copper wire bent into shape and also glued with CA.

rr0248.jpgrr0249.jpg

I then painted them black...

rr0250.jpgrr0251.jpgrr0252.jpg

The guitar strings were the only wire I could find that were stiff enough to stay upright.

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful job Richard. My son used to go through sets when he played thrash guitar. Still have skads of them. Very useful. He went on to play jazz, so I don't get them any more.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thank you very much Jim, appreciate the kind comment. Glad you like the Asian tour.
Have you tried Satay(barbequed meat on wooden skewers)? I've always wanted to do a satay stall. Having it al-fresco straight from the barbi with peanut sauce and compacted steamed glutinous rice wrapped with palm leaves accompanied with onions and cucumber...yum yum.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
Your mention of Satay :smiling6: - who cannot love that? And what about a proper Nasi Goreng or Beef Rendang- my body has just gone into sensory overload!!!!!!! Washed down with a Tiger(s) (or similar!) - and in the company of friends and family (to the beat of the Gamelan)---Sublime!! My wife was a teacher at the BIS in Indonesia and has made me send out for a takeaway! I'll send you the bill :cool:
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice to have an update Richard, I'm looking forward to seeing more.
There's more Dan, I haven't gotten to the figures yet and will get to that soon.

Beautiful job Richard. My son used to go through sets when he played thrash guitar. Still have skads of them. Very useful. He went on to play jazz, so I don't get them any more.
Thanks Paul, what's surprising is that I found the strings not expensive and they're even great for radio antennas.

Richard,
Your mention of Satay :smiling6: - who cannot love that? And what about a proper Nasi Goreng or Beef Rendang- my body has just gone into sensory overload!!!!!!! Washed down with a Tiger(s) (or similar!) - and in the company of friends and family (to the beat of the Gamelan)---Sublime!! My wife was a teacher at the BIS in Indonesia and has made me send out for a takeaway! I'll send you the bill :cool:
Steve
Glad I aroused some mouth watering senses and taste buds, Steve. Nice to know you've had our local dishes and remember their names. Which Nasi Goreng is your favorite as there are a few varieties like Kampung with fried anchovies, Sambal Belachan, Kangkung or Ayam. There's even the Thai ones with pineapple or Pattaya encased in an egg omelette. Beef Rendang goes well with Lemang (glutinous rice cooked in a bamboo trunk). Oh man now I'm beginning to salivate...will have to ask for Rendang added to my Nasi Lemak for breakfast.
How long was your wife a teacher in Indonesia? We have a 'Mee Bandung' here and the Indonesians swear there is no such dish in Bandung. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think the Kangkung , and Lemang evokes great memories - especially my first attempt (failed miserably) at preparing it! Kate taught for some five years - and totally loves her time, friends and fond memories from that time (but what's not to love?)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok, let's get some figures up...starting with the Uncle with his new honda cup...

I can't remember which figure I chose to carve away the shoes and bottom of his pants but I know I got his arms from the Tamiya Stug IV Commander.

rr0147.jpg rr0148.jpg

I whittled away until just below the knees and had to detail his foot as he was going to wear sandals.

rr0149.jpg rr0150.jpg

Rolling flat some two part putty I made his sarong and lengthened his blouse with pockets.

rr0151.jpgrr0153.jpgrr0154.jpg

Correcting his blouse to the one worn in the state of Perak I made a three button fold from the straight hard collar and gave a breast pocket. Other states would have a different cut, collar and pockets to their Malay blouse.

rr0157.jpg

More next...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I think the Kangkung , and Lemang evokes great memories - especially my first attempt (failed miserably) at preparing it! Kate taught for some five years - and totally loves her time, friends and fond memories from that time (but what's not to love?)
I bet you've got better at the preparation now. Are the ingredients easily gotten where you're at now? I'm glad she did. Apart from the weather and infrastructure depending where you're posted South East Asians are pretty friendly and food if you're adventurous can be found almost 24/7 at affordable prices. Water though apart from Singapore and Malaysia needs to be consumed from a sealed bottle.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I bet you've got better at the preparation now. Are the ingredients easily gotten where you're at now? I'm glad she did. Apart from the weather and infrastructure depending where you're posted South East Asians are pretty friendly and food if you're adventurous can be found almost 24/7 at affordable prices. Water though apart from Singapore and Malaysia needs to be consumed from a sealed bottle.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
Agreed! Ingredients can be obtained relatively locally but are generally pricey and patchy in availability - agree with the friendly comment - nothing but smiles and welcomes! We're also lucky in that several of Kate's staff and friends are either native to. or resident in the area, so we have benefited from introductions and welcomes wherever we go!
Steve