Trumpeter 1/35 3.7cm Flak 37 Auf Sd.kfz. 7/2 Early Version.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's one heck of a piano hinge. Clean & tight assembly overall.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The trailer primed & prepared for the basecoat. I didn't think that the ICM 'Middle Stone' was going to look right
DSCF2199.JPG
I mixed the paint about 2:1 water/paint - a little too much water perhaps. It sprayed very nicely - it has a different smell to all other acrylics - almost an almond scent! It doesn't seem to dry very quickly ( maybe because of too much water? ). It does have a substantial colour change as it dries - It looked too light to start, but darkened as it dried. I'm going to give the green & brown a try, with my 0.2mm nozzle a/b to do the camo pattern freehand.
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave.

An almond smell sounds quite nice compared to some of the odours we have to put up with.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Dave. The paint sounds interesting.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice…..looks like a field applied camouflage job!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
No complaints from me either Dave.

Aside from maybe bring a bit too thin, it seems to be spraying nicely. Did you have any problems with it e.g excessive dry tip or the like?

ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No complaints from me either Dave.

Aside from maybe bring a bit too thin, it seems to be spraying nicely. Did you have any problems with it e.g excessive dry tip or the like?

ATB.

Andrew
No, I was spraying at a very low pressure with a 0.2mm nozzle, as well - I reckon the thinness is due to me overdiluting - these paints are totally new to me, and will take a bit of getting used to. I did the ammo trailer first to see what problems I may have. The answer is - less water!
Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
No, I was spraying at a very low pressure with a 0.2mm nozzle, as well - I reckon the thinness is due to me overdiluting - these paints are totally new to me, and will take a bit of getting used to. I did the ammo trailer first to see what problems I may have. The answer is - less water!
Dave
That is very good at 0.2mm and low pressure. What consistency is the paint like in the bottle? Vallejo Model Air-ish....???

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That is very good at 0.2mm and low pressure. What consistency is the paint like in the bottle? Vallejo Model Air-ish....???
Andrew,
the ICM paint is more the consistency of Model Color, as it says on the side of the bottle ( I had to get my magnifying glass out to read ), it's brush paint consistency - it says dilute 40-60% for airbrush, and apply over a primer. I used pure Gloucestershire tapwater, without any problems
Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew,
the ICM paint is more the consistency of Model Color, as it says on the side of the bottle ( I had to get my magnifying glass out to read ), it's brush paint consistency - it says dilute 40-60% for airbrush, and apply over a primer. I used pure Gloucestershire tapwater, without any problems
Dave
Ok. That's good - you will ultimately get more paint for your money when compared to a supposedly 'airbrush ready mixture' and without any flash thinners too!!

Thanks for getting your glasses out! ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The trailer is finished - it has had a simple wash, but I'll leave weathering until everything is finished
DSCF2203.JPGDSCF2204.JPG
I used the ICM matt varnish, and it has given one of the flattest finishes I've sprayed so far..................

I've made a start on the chassis - as usual, it's a flat pack assembly. The large gearbox has several PE parts, but I can hardly see them now - so further along, no chance
DSCF2205.JPG
Although the fit is good, the parts do need careful clean up, but nothing major - dry fitting will show any problem areas.................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've spent several hours today - building the engine, although the bonnet will be closed & it will be invisible..............
DSCF2207.JPG
Then onto the chassis - you add bits, then a few more, then some PE, and still looks the same! Until, that is, you come to the winch - overengineered, and very tricky to assemble & fit. It mounts with pins in two separate PE plates. The plates have a nominal position marked on the chassis, but no positive location. Upshot is that if you get it slightly wrong, the pins won't fit! Final solution was to remove the pins & CA the winch drum in place .DSCF2209.JPGDSCF2210.JPG
Of course, once you get the load bed in place, you can't see the top & underneath is obscured by chassis members. Not the best designed parts, and if I were ever to make one of these again ( very unlikely ), I'd not follow the instructions - there has to be a better way. So far, I've used most of the PE called out - one piece, I took one look at, and ignored - and the carpet monster had a snack on a tiny invisible bracket. So far this has all been chassis & power train - next up will be the suspension, probably just as tricky, bur at least larger parts!
Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's a lot of work Dave. Well done. Shame a lot of it will be hidden from view.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks fab Dave. Complicated beastie though…..if you wanted to see it in all its finery you could make a works chassis version before the bodywork is fitted.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks fab Dave. Complicated beastie though…..if you wanted to see it in all its finery you could make a works chassis version before the bodywork is fitted.
Tim,
to do that would mean a diorama, so no - anyway the 37mm Flak is the focal point!
I've found a partly built Tamiya 20mm Flakvierling auf Sd.kfz.7, and I may just complete that as a comparison......
a lot simpler in construction!!!!
Dave

First Name
Andy
I think I once had the basic kit, not the one with the flak and it put me off Trumpeter models, as I recall it ended up in the bin.

Andy.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Actually adding some bits that will actually figure in the final appearance!
DSCF2215.JPG
I seem to have been adding bits for ages - I'm about to add the front axle/steering yoke, which is supposed to be moveable, but in my hands, moveable = fragile, so I'll probably glue all in place!
Dave