Trumpeter 1/35 3.7cm Flak 37 Auf Sd.kfz. 7/2 Early Version.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ever have one of those days? Woken up at 06:45 by a wrong number, decided to make an early start on this. Whilst assembling the front axle, the carpet monster leapt, and took an essential part ( front wheel stubshaft ). After a fruitless search, I decided to make a new part - the steering wasn't going to be workable, but I hadn't expected that any way. half an hour later, part made & fitted................
DSCF2216.JPG
Then the steering box links to the steering arm - tiny pieces, with pins & holes. Dropped them.....gone! I scrabbled about on the floor, with my torch - absolutely no sign! I decided then it was time to turn off the light & close the door..................... Hopefully tomorrow will improve my searching powers. If not, then I'll have to cobble something together - most of the linkage is hidden behind the wheel & bodywork anyway. Should have stayed in bed, this morning....................
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Ahhh we all get days like that. Better staying in bed :rolling: :tired:
Sounds as if you're more than happy with the paint. Good value as well. Varnish included. Trailer looks good and despite the best efforts of the carpet monster the chassis is coming on nicely.
Jim

• Love
Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Walk around your hobby room barefoot :smiling3:
Jakko,
one of the problems with being diabetic is that I have neurophy in my feet - I have no feeling in my feet at all - I could walk on nails, and I wouldn't notice. I have done this, a woodscrew penetrated my slipper & went into the sole of my foot................. I only noticed this when I tried to take my slipper off! In consequence, I never walk anywhere without slippers & have to take special care, when cutting my toenails! It also means, that I don't get any feedback from my feet when walking - so I have to use a stick to keep my balance. All good fun!!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh, that’s less than great, yes …

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Getting to the stage where I think I could start priming
DSCF2220.JPG
Wheels, drive sprockets, etc assembled as far as I can for the moment.....
DSCF2221.JPG
I gave up looking for the missing steering linkages, and made my own from plastic strip - you can just about see them between the front mudguard & the drive housing - once the bodywork & tracks are added they will be invisible ( unless you pick it up! ). No filler used yet, fit is good, but very small pieces makes for difficult handling. You wouldn't have a chance of making this without a decent set of tweezers!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks suitably busy Dave. Looks like you certainly get your money’s worth with this kit!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking forward in the instructions, I could do a lot more assembly, before priming. So, the load bed - a suitably complicated assembly
DSCF2222.JPGDSCF2223.JPG
Note the 2 holes & slot in the floorplate to the right.
Instructions - stage 2
DSCF2225.JPG
Gearbox with levers added OK
DSCF2224.JPG
BUT, then in stage 25DSCF2226.JPG
The load bed is miraculously added - over the steering column & 3 levers from the gearbox!!!!. I did attempt this, because the instructions said it was possible. It isn't! I will simply cut the levers off flush with the gearbox & reattach afterwards - this is the first instruction error I've found so far..................
I haven't decided whether to build the model with the 37mm deployed for action, or transport - the difference being the fold down sides of the load bed - I'm in two minds!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decided to do the model in action form - this just means putting the load bed sides horizontal............
DSCF2228.JPG
Thinking on it, I reckon these are the largest single piece bits of PE I've ever used so far, and very appropriate - how else would you depict them? The 'hinges' are all butt joints, so I've reinforced each with a drop of CA.
I think I'm about ready to do some priming, I've thought this before, but kept on finding bits I could add.....
Dave.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Decided to do the model in action form - this just means putting the load bed sides horizontal............
View attachment 438411
Thinking on it, I reckon these are the largest single piece bits of PE I've ever used so far, and very appropriate - how else would you depict them? The 'hinges' are all butt joints, so I've reinforced each with a drop of CA.
I think I'm about ready to do some priming, I've thought this before, but kept on finding bits I could add.....
Dave.
Dave, is there a particular primer that you prefer ? I've grown quite fond of the Mr. Surfacer 1500 Spray , but it is pricy stuff.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron,
I'm using AK primer at the moment, I've used others, but this seems best for me at the moment
Dave
A while back I bought a bottle of Mr. S 1500 that's supposed to be airbrushable but I'm too leery to try it in my Iwata. Other brands, sure, but the lacquer ....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A while back I bought a bottle of Mr. S 1500 that's supposed to be airbrushable but I'm too leery to try it in my Iwata. Other brands, sure, but the lacquer ....
Ron,
I only use acrylics, both for brush & a/b - enamels & lacquers leave far too much smell ( I live in a mid-floor flat ). I once used some Alcad II, and I reckon it took a week for the fragrance to dissipate!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Primed overall, then basecoated the chassis & wheels
DSCF2231.JPG
DSCF2230.JPG
I wasn't intending to basecoat the loadbed, but I still had a bit of paint left in the airbrush.
DSCF2232.JPG
I reckon I've sorted the mix of the ICM paint - it took a few attempts!. It sprays very nicely, no problems with tip drying, I'm spraying at about 1.5 bar. The ICM paints are 12ml jars, and I reckon you could cover 2 medium sized tanks ( ie Pz.IVs ). I've wasted a bit trying out the mix, but it will cover this large Sd.kfz.7, trailer & gun, and maybe a tiddler, like a Pz.I
What is now looming on the horizon is the individual track links.............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
All the roadwheel tyres brush painted
DSCF2233.JPG
Boring! Some good music on & no interruptions!
Next, probably even boring - the assembly of the tracks. I can't assemble them my normal way, as they don't have a useful guide rib. I'm going to have to try several ways, to see which is least fiddly......................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Working up to the tracks - road wheels added, but the drive sprockets will be added when the tracks are being assembled
DSCF2247.JPG

The links............................
DSCF2242.JPG
DSCF2244.JPGLINK 01.jpg
These are very difficult to handle, the first one I cut off the sprue pinged out of my tweezers, never to be seen again.
I had a think on how I could I could make things easier - the sprue layout is such that with careful cutting, you can join 4 links at a time, the sprues allowing easy handling
DSCF2245.JPG
Once you have links jpined, you can continue to build up the straight runs
DSCF2246.JPG
I'll still have to build up the links on the drive sprockets individually, and add the tread blocks, but it does speed things up. This only works, of course when the sprue layout is suitable!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s a very good idea, keeping them on the sprue while you assemble them.