Trumpeter 1/35 BTM-3 High Speed Trench Digger

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great stuff so far Dave ,I've got the Ak thin in red and blue never really had probs ,TET is just so reliable always been there bit like your favorite boxers comfortable if you know what i mean. I find it interesting you can see with the coloured cement just how much ground the thin stuff covers makes you feel like a messy worker you just don't see it with the TET. Dont know if you've tried it but the mister hobby extra thin is very good ive even got that in black beginning to think I've a cement fetish. Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Very nice Dave, and you managed to get those chains off the sprues in one piece. That I would have thought would be one of the hardest parts of the build up to now.
I've got a new pair of sprue cutters - no known make, but they are very sharp & I can get really close to the parts - I didn't have to clean up any of the track links!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Assembly of the side frames - very tricky, three hands ( or more ) would be useful.................
DSCF3638.JPG
Getting all the pins on the chain rollers was a real challenge - on the face of it quite simple, but in practice, an hour or so & a cup of strong coffee!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The drive to the bucket wheel raise/lower. It was much easier to fit in separate pieces, rather than the single piece, as in the instructions.
DSCF3639.JPGDSCF3640.JPG
I was rather dubious about how well these parts were going to fit - but the engineering & fit is spot on! No adjustment needed, just a little nifty tweezer work!
That's it for the day, the light is fading fast...........
Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Dave
Just caught up on your build and pleased I did, I knew it looked familiar as there is one hiding in the stash, so will be using you as the guide for a future build, and it looks like it is behaving and going together without too many problems. Looking forward to more.
Mike.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave
Just caught up on your build and pleased I did, I knew it looked familiar as there is one hiding in the stash, so will be using you as the guide for a future build, and it looks like it is behaving and going together without too many problems. Looking forward to more.
Mike.
Mike,
not a model for a beginner - it's enough of a challenge to keep you interested, but not so difficult it gets you frustrated. It helps that, apart from the chain sprockets, the fit so far is excellent
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
You say the instructions look pretty clear, but I'm confused by the pics of the bucket wheel frame you've shown. Part H7 looks like it is standing vertically against the plate securing it to the frame - part H32? If that's right, the only person I can think of that could fit it the way it's shown is Mr E M Escher!

Edit: I gotta ask 'cos I got one of these in the stash.
Got to the stage where the side frame parts can be clarified! When you offer up the parts, it becomes obvious!
DSCF3641.JPGDSCF3642.JPG
It's easier to add the bits individually - I can see the idea of the instructions, but only when I tried to fit the parts!
One side completed - even though they look the same, there are differences, so mixing up the parts would be disastrous
DSCF3643.JPGDSCF3644.JPG
The parts fit together well, but you do need to clean them up carefully. Dry fitting is essential!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finished the side frames - all they need is painting! I couldn't resist a dry fitting.................
DSCF3645.JPGDSCF3646.JPG
Painting is 'as you go' on this model, there are many areas which will be visible, but very difficult to paint after assembly ( like the chains ), it does mean overpainting, but better that than an unpainted patch
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great pics Dave - much clearer than those on the instructions. Thanks. I can almost feel this moving up the 'to do' list!

First Name
Andy
Looks great Dave, I have only had a quick look in the box I have and was wondering if the digging part could be made moveable between the up and down position or just fixed?

Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks great Dave, I have only had a quick look in the box I have and was wondering if the digging part could be made moveable between the up and down position or just fixed?

Andy
I don't think so, there's a hydraulic ram that only has two positions - up & down, and it's not clear how that affects things - I won't know until I actually assemble it. I'm sure someone with access to a 3D printer and a lot of time might be able to work something out, but I'm going to be content with what the model has ( still not decided which way, yet ).
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on well Dave. One of those kits where forward planning is vital.

First Name
Andy
Thanks for that Dave, when I get round to building mine I will have a look to see if it would be possible to build a workable ram to enable movement if not then so be it.

Andy.

First Name
Andy
Thanks for that Dave, when I get round to building mine I will have a look to see if it would be possible to build a workable ram to enable movement if not then so be it.

Andy.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

That is coming on very nicely indeed and very quickly too. Keep up the great work.

ATB.

Andrew