Trumpeter 1/35 BTM-3 High Speed Trench Digger

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finally reached the point where I can apply the primer - it looks like a snakes' wedding at the moment, but I finally see how it all fits together............
DSCF3676.JPGDSCF3677.JPG
I'm going to have to rig some sort of support to hold the whole assembly, but keep the loose parts still loose, whilst spraying. I think it's a big ask to try and get compete coverage in one session, there will always some patches that have missed! There are only a comparatively few parts left on the sprue, but I can see the final assembly will be a delicate operation!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done indeed Dave. That really is something to behold and hats off to your for doing such a great job!!!

All the best.

Andrew

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
That certainly looks the business Dave, I'm guessing it wouldn't take very long indeed to knock up a decent sized trench.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I wonder how long the chains would last when they're covered with earth/sand/grit and grease?
Pete

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Porpoising like a Mercedes F1 car in the first clip! They must have got the aerodynamics wrong.
Pete

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Took me two sessions to get an overall coverage - AK Olive Drab Primer
DSCF3679.JPG
DSCF3678.JPG
I'll leave this overnight to harden off, before the Russian Green Basecoat.
I initially thought that this machine had hydraulics to operate, but it's all chains, gears & drive shafts, rather agricultural......
I've decided to finish this in the 'open'. or ready to dig state - in the transport position,, too much of the guts are hidden. I won't have any moving parts - that's just an invitation to break bits off. If you were going to try & made things work, you'd have to work towards that from the beginning - not an easy prospect - assembling it as a static model is difficult enough!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Two passes of the Russian Green & all the parts are gathered for what may be a tussle
DSCF3680.JPG
I can see where all the bits go, whether they will cooperate is another matter! I have a few details to paint that will be unreachable after assembly, but it's getting close to the climax of the whole build!
There are tow cables to add, and the statutory shovel & pick etc, but the sprues are nearly empty, I have a couple of Red Star decals to add , but no other markings. I think all the fun will be tomorrow morning - CA at the ready, sadly I've just emptied my kicker spray, so it may take a bit longer to put thing together..................
I then have the problem of weathering. By it's very nature, this thing will get very dirty, but I think that will obscure a lot of detail. I'm leaning toward a more dusty finish, but I can't really make my mind up..............
Dave

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good, Dave. Definitely a touch of the Russian "Heath Robinson " about it.
John.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's looking real good Dave and I hate to rain on your parade, but the videos that Chris posted both show some sort of grid or chain mesh at the back of each of the buckets. I can't see how it would pick up the soil without that feature and I'm surprised that Trumpeter haven't included something to represent it.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's looking real good Dave and I hate to rain on your parade, but the videos that Chris posted both show some sort of grid or chain mesh at the back of each of the buckets. I can't see how it would pick up the soil without that feature and I'm surprised that Trumpeter haven't included something to represent it.
I'd seen that, but wondered if that was a field modification! - It seems such a rather flimsy add on, when the whole thing is built like a brick sh*thouse - either way I haven't got it on my model, and its too late to add it on! None of the reviews I've seen point this out - I was only able to trace one full build review & that was on a pay-per-view site, but I screen grabbed part of their final build piccy
HSTD.jpg
Yep - backless buckets! - I feel better that at least one other modeller has followed the same route!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The assembly of the bucket wheel to the chassis/frame - not particularly difficult, but you really need another pair of hands..................
DSCF3681.JPGDSCF3682.JPGDSCF3683.JPGDSCF3684.JPGDSCF3685.JPG
The pins & location on the frames are rather fragile, you'd have to somehow replace them if you were going to make the thing moveable. It's just held together with Blue glue at the moment. I'll leave it for an hour or so & then see how rigid it feels - it may be prudent to put drops of CA on the joins to add strength. It's rather tail heavy at the moment, but the cab may compensate for that, but a few weights glued into the hull, if not. Touching up needed - I've used almost a bottle of Russian Green already on this - it has a lot of surface area & loads of nooks & crannies!
Dave