USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi me fellow Laddies,

This USS Constitution build is long in the tooth with many interruptions along the way therefore it is aptly renamed the USS Constipation. My wife got me this kit almost 35 years ago before we were married. It's a beauty of a kit that I said to myself that I would build it when my skills were better. I really only started this when we moved into our second home in '96. I referenced from a lot of ship builds to get my sea legs. That took part of 10 years of doddeling and fiddling with the parts and was putting the hulls together when the house got flooded. Water rose to just the edge of the table top so it didn't get launched from the slipways. It has since been shelved with occasional tinkering especially the ratlines but recently having seen Jim's cross section of Victory's deck got me fired up to tackle this mighty ship again.

Some of you may have seen it's progress in the last forum so here are some refreshed images and where I will start...

USS001.jpg

The state of the box show it's years being on the shelf and getting a bit wet from the flood.

USS002.jpg

The white strip along the gun deck still looks white in these images.I would soon regret not lightening the deck which you will see soon. The gun ports were just holes molded into the hull so careful masking was taken to create the thickness of the hull even painting the drawing in the joints.

USS003.jpgUSS004.jpg

You can clearly see the mud stains left from the flood. I didn't do a good enough cleaning of the stand. I only managed the rear of the hull after the flood by painting up the windows, lines, stars and the embossed lettering. The rudder comes solid attached to the hull with no gaps in between the hinges.

USS005.jpg

I weathered the lower hull copper plating with green streaks.

USS006.jpg

This is where I went crazy and decided that the given ratlines were too thick and redid them with a jig made from plywood and hundreds of nails patiently tacked into place.

USS007.jpg

It survived the flood although the corners threaten to peel off.

USS008.jpgUSS009.jpgUSS0010.jpg

From this point on is current having masked the panels on the top deck only yesterday. I did this at the LHS while having a great get together with fellow modelers I haven't seen for some time.

USS0011.jpg

By the time I got home some of the masking were popping up so just before spraying I pressed them down.

USS0012.jpgUSS0013.jpgUSS0014.jpg

Results of the spraying today were satisfactory using Testors Enamels Radom Tan and Afrika Braun.

USS0015.jpg

I chose these lighter shades so that when the dark washes are applied, the overall shade won't be too dark eventually.

USS0016.jpg

At least now the green on the inner sides of the deck can be distinguished and everything else pops out.

USS0017.jpg

Hope the constipation ends and this sees the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope to surprise my wife when she sees it on the mantle of the living room.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Richard........there'll be a surprise alright! I tried that once, found out completed models are NOT considered art forms and are NOT welcomed by management in any quarter of living spaces occupied by "Herself"!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out: Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard........there'll be a surprise alright! I tried that once, found out completed models are NOT considered art forms and are NOT welcomed by management in any quarter of living spaces occupied by "Herself"!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out: Rick H.
Rick, actually on the contrary as she bought it explicitly to be displayed in our new house 34 years ago (hope she remembers). The others of course are strictly to be kept in the man cave. :tongue-out3::smiling5::tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Well if your good lady has been patient for 34 years she deserves to see it completed. Tim is right - the deck looks much nicer. The ratlines look good, worth all the time and effort.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That’s looking super Richard. Agree with the lightened deck planking, it looks much more in keeping. The ratlines will be a thing of great beauty when completed and fitted.
Thanks Tim, had I just built and finished this kit many years back I'd have to live with the wrong color finish of the deck, sometimes a delay can fix things right but not this late. :smiling2: Keeping my fingers crossed that the decision on the ratlines will come out looking better.

Hi Richard
Well if your good lady has been patient for 34 years she deserves to see it completed. Tim is right - the deck looks much nicer. The ratlines look good, worth all the time and effort.
Jim
If she recognises it then it will be great but safe to say I don't make many sail boats. Appreciate your comment as well Jim.

I have only just sprayed the Future varnish over the deck after letting the enamel layer cure properly for a day and a half. Also checked over the rest of the parts and found the gun and carriages which I had thought were missing and was contemplating to cast them.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's a lot of fiddly work Richard, and looking at the hull with the new paint work it will be well worth it .
34 Years , Mrs R tells me she's had to wait even longer for some jobs to be done !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's a lot of fiddly work Richard, and looking at the hull with the new paint work it will be well worth it .
34 Years , Mrs R tells me she's had to wait even longer for some jobs to be done !
John, I think she knows the Constipation needs to be done with love so she's willing to wait...other jobs are chop chop get to it and done within the hour. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, made a little progress today with a dark wash over the deck using my trusted watercolor technique. Mixed up a batch of black and brown with a little dab of detergent and applied liberally over the deck...

USS0018.jpg

I then let it dry for about an hour...

USS0019.jpg

Using a moist cloth and damp cutip, I rubbed off the wash and what remained was left in the grooves and in between the raised details.

USS0020.jpg

Even the wood panelling detail showed up and I might enhance further by dry brushing a lighter shade of the Radom Tan.

USS0021.jpg

At the time of this I was halfway done removing the wash.

USS0022.jpg

I smoothen out and blended the the shades by rubbing with a dry cutip. Pics of the finish deck later when I'm done.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi, made a little progress today with a dark wash over the deck using my trusted watercolor technique. Mixed up a batch of black and brown with a little dab of detergent and applied liberally over the deck...

View attachment 439486

I then let it dry for about an hour...

View attachment 439487

Using a moist cloth and damp cutip, I rubbed off the wash and what remained was left in the grooves and in between the raised details.

View attachment 439488

Even the wood panelling detail showed up and I might enhance further by dry brushing a lighter shade of the Radom Tan.

View attachment 439489

At the time of this I was halfway done removing the wash.

View attachment 439490

I smoothen out and blended the the shades by rubbing with a dry cutip. Pics of the finish deck later when I'm done.

Cheers,
Richard
That wash looks fantastic. A light dry brush now will really make it pop….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That looks very good. I suppose the secret to a water based wash is the addition of detergent. Water based washes are prone to leaving an 'edge mark'. Going back over it has really worked.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That wash looks fantastic. A light dry brush now will really make it pop….
Thanks Tim, yes can't wait to dry brush and see the results. As it is now it also looks okay.

Hi Richard
That looks very good. I suppose the secret to a water based wash is the addition of detergent. Water based washes are prone to leaving an 'edge mark'. Going back over it has really worked.
Jim
Thank you Jim, detergent breaks the surface tension and lets the water spread and adhere to the surface. It takes getting used to and there's no fear it will ruin the underlying paint work.

I've cleaned up all the wash and preparing for a layer of varnish for protection...

USS0023.jpg

The black calking in between the planks is now more visible...

USS0024.jpg

The cutip not only helps with blending but also gets into the tight spaces.

USS0025.jpg

The wash was also applied to the steps and side gangway pillars. I wonder if I should paint the nails black or dark metal...

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim, yes can't wait to dry brush and see the results. As it is now it also looks okay.

Thank you Jim, detergent breaks the surface tension and lets the water spread and adhere to the surface. It takes getting used to and there's no fear it will ruin the underlying paint work.

I've cleaned up all the wash and preparing for a layer of varnish for protection...

View attachment 439527

View attachment 439528

View attachment 439529

The wash was also applied to the steps and side gangway pillars. I wonder if I should paint the nails black or dark metal...

Cheers,
Richard
Not sure the nails were dark metal. They were continually soaked in salt water in heavy seas, so would rust really quickly if they were iron. I would guess they were copper or wooden pegs….

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Holy stoning would lighten any deck. Would assume pegs but don't know as the description of how spar deck planking was fastened is unclear if they would be visible regardless.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Outstanding Richard. Top notch work!!

Just looking at that rigging is giving me to the heebie-jeebies!! :surprised: :loudly-crying:

Keep up the great work.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

View attachment 439527

View attachment 439528

View attachment 439529

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks for the tip on the use of the washing up liquid, yes that tide mark is annoying Richard .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Not sure the nails were dark metal. They were continually soaked in salt water in heavy seas, so would rust really quickly if they were iron. I would guess they were copper or wooden pegs….
Tim, I'll check with images from the restored Constitution to see what color are the pegs/nails.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Holy stoning would lighten any deck. Would assume pegs but don't know as the description of how spar deck planking was fastened is unclear if they would be visible regardless.
Paul, the molding has nail or rivet heads at the plank ends that I may need to paint over the Radom Tan.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Outstanding Richard. Top notch work!!

Just looking at that rigging is giving me to the heebie-jeebies!! :surprised: :loudly-crying:

Keep up the great work.

ATB.

Andrew
I think that's where it got constipated for me Andrew.

Thanks for the tip on the use of the washing up liquid, yes that tide mark is annoying Richard .
You're welcome John.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited: