USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ship nails were made of brass......I had a friend in school who's father dove on wrecks with the National Geographic down in the Caribbean back in the 60's. Brought back lots of interesting "finds" including a bucket of brass ship nails. Hope this helps. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ship nails were made of brass......I had a friend in school who's father dove on wrecks with the National Geographic down in the Caribbean back in the 60's. Brought back lots of interesting "finds" including a bucket of brass ship nails. Hope this helps. Rick H.
It surely helps, Rick. Brass doesn't rust but oxidizes to near black or dull copper in color. Will look up some references.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Richard, these nails had actually turned green from exposure to salt water....I believe the reaction is refered to as verdigris. HTH Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Spar deck planks were lapped white oak so fasteners may not be seen, check out pics of real thing.
Thanks for that info Paul, I checked with images of the restored Constitution and the decks seem flush all the way with no nail protrusions.
Don't know which is more accurate, the restoration or what Imai claims they are depicting the ship during her early active period? Both ships have different lines. The restored version is pretty straight from bow to stern where as the Imai offering has a curve like most sailing ships of the period. The Revell version is also curved from bow to stern.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
After spraying a protective coat of varnish over the finished wash on the deck and while waiting for it to cure I tackled the guns, cradles and the doors.

USS0026.jpg

I secured the guns onto a thick card with white glue after I had cleaned seamlines then sprayed them flat black.

USS0027.jpg

The doors and gun cradles were painted on the spue and given a dark wash.

After this I decided to whiten the previous panel on the hull which has yellowed with time. At the same time I will correct the width of the panel reducing one plank height from the top.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely Richard!!

ATB

Andrew

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The rebuild of the spar deck used Douglas Fir instead of White Oak so may appear darker now. The construction was much different than other fighting ships of the day. It was faster & more maneuverable, longer, narrower, straighter, heavier & more rigid than British & French ships of its' class. Internal bracing were cut from single trees & transferred weight evenly along the keel. It was all pegged construction. The "iron sides" used horizontal White Oak planks for the inside & outside layers with Live Oak (75lbs/cu. ft.) planks in between.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Coming on very nicely Richard!!

ATB

Andrew
Thank you Andrew, glad you're following.

The rebuild of the spar deck used Douglas Fir instead of White Oak so may appear darker now. The construction was much different than other fighting ships of the day. It was faster & more maneuverable, longer, narrower, straighter, heavier & more rigid than British & French ships of its' class. Internal bracing were cut from single trees & transferred weight evenly along the keel. It was all pegged construction. The "iron sides" used horizontal White Oak planks for the inside & outside layers with Live Oak (75lbs/cu. ft.) planks in between.
Wow Paul, that is fantastic reference and much appreciated. I was wondering why the spar deck wood color was dark in those photos and perhaps had followed that reference in the decks previous color when other builds show a remarkably lighter shade to the deck. Just like in the movie Master And Command where they discussed the French ship being built with a straighter keel for speed.

Good progress on this Richard. That's a lot of guns to fit :rolling:
Jim
Thanks Jim, she had a different number of guns for a frigate but heavier and bigger guns for her class if I'm not mistaken.

As mentioned I have re-done the white panel that runs along the hull to correct it. Here are the progress images, I first dry brushed a new coat of white with a vertical stroke before masking. This gave a slightly weathered look...I didn't whiten the line of planking just above the gun ports as that will be painted over with black.

USS0028.jpg

Masking done as well as the open gun ports above just in case there is a spill-over.

USS0029.jpg

Yes I re-used the previous masking I did on the deck as they were still good and thought of recycling.

USS0030.jpg

Much better now and it gives the hull side a much broader height.

USS0031.jpg

Will need retouching of the recessed panel lines where the white has creeped in.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That has worked well. The white does look better. Reusing the masking - now that is frugal modelling :smiling:
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
That has worked well. The white does look better. Reusing the masking - now that is frugal modelling :smiling:
Jim
Thanks Jim, had to as paints don't turn yellow that fast even it was from that period. As long as the tape hasn't any cuts and in one piece I'll reuse it. Also good for any filler areas that are exposed which doesn't need new tape. Tamiya tape is still tacky and crisp after a few runs...I don't know how they do it.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
In some situations tape that has been used is better as the stickiness is reduced so there is less chance of pulling paint off :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today at the LHS I enhanced the waterline by masking and airbrushing a new coat of copper...

USS0032.jpg

As usual I re-used the masking tape. The Revell enamel copper has an oldish tint than the Tamiya copper which suites the weathered bottom area.

USS0033.jpg

Had only 3 hours to do the above and made a quick run on the way home to pack some dinner. Today's dinner was Chee Cheong Fun (steamed rice vermicelli rolled until they look like intestines hence the name, Chee is pig, Cheong is intestines, Fun is noodle) accompanied with fried tofu and pork filling, vege, meat and fishballs served with sweet savory thick soya bean sauce or coconut creamed curry.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Making me feel hungry Richard……as to the build…looking excellent. Love the aged copper finish…..not going for a weed encrusted finish then?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for that info Paul, I checked with images of the restored Constitution and the decks seem flush all the way with no nail protrusions.
Don't know which is more accurate, the restoration or what Imai claims they are depicting the ship during her early active period? Both ships have different lines. The restored version is pretty straight from bow to stern where as the Imai offering has a curve like most sailing ships of the period. The Revell version is also curved from bow to stern.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard any Oak would completely destroy any steel/ iron fixing due to the high tannin content.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Due to her sturdy construction she was way straighter than her contemporaries. At one refit they found twelve British 32 pound cannon balls embedded in her side. The initial plans called for 32 long guns (24 pounder) including two bow chasers and 20 carronade (32 pounder). Though at times she had as few as 40 guns total. Can't tell how many came w/your model.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Making me feel hungry Richard……as to the build…looking excellent. Love the aged copper finish…..not going for a weed encrusted finish then?
No chance of any weed Tim, as she hasn't touched water since the flood. :smiling2: Thanks...do you like Chinese?

Richard any Oak would completely destroy any steel/ iron fixing due to the high tannin content.
John, yes it was mentioned that she was constructed with wood pegs. What were those rivet like knobs along the hull made of I wonder?

Due to her sturdy construction she was way straighter than her contemporaries. At one refit they found twelve British 32 pound cannon balls embedded in her side. The initial plans called for 32 long guns (24 pounder) including two bow chasers and 20 carronade (32 pounder). Though at times she had as few as 40 guns total. Can't tell how many came w/your model.
Thanks Paul, I counted and it's the same number you quoted.

Cheers,
Richard