USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Model is looking great. Copper plates would quickly oxidize.
Food sounds very tasty. In the UK there are many Chinese restaurants and take aways and although their food is often nice I doubt if it is authentic.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No chance of any weed Tim, as she hasn't touched water since the flood. :smiling2: Thanks...do you like Chinese?

John, yes it was mentioned that she was constructed with wood pegs. What were those rivet like knobs along the hull made of I wonder?

Thanks Paul, I counted and it's the same number you quoted.

Cheers,
Richard

Good food always makes me feel hungry ;)
I do like Chinese food Richard, along with most other cuisines, especially those from the Indian sub continent. As Jim says, we have a lot of Chinese restaurants in the UK, but they obviously cater to UK tastes, so are probably not that authentic. However, I’ve also been lucky enough to eat in Singapore, Japan, and Bali so have tried more authentic oriental dishes.

Constipation is coming along splendidly, by the way. The gun count is surprising. That is a lot of carronades so she must have liked to get in close and mix it up….British frigates had more long guns as they were used to chase down enemy commerce and dispatches as well as to search out the enemy for the main line of battle fleets.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Apologies for constipating again and while doing so SWMBO accidentally tipped it and Constipation fell on the hard floor cracking the tail end. Good thing she is Old Ironsides so was able to put her back together again. Just need to hide the crack lines with paint.

Since the beginning I had always wanted to add this above the gun deck. I don't know what it's called but is a form of netting seen in this attached image that either served as a walkway or whatever I don't know...what is it actually?

the-guns-on-the-deck-of-the-uss-constitution-william-rogers.jpg

I had looked for PE mesh before internet times and luckily some one brought them in at an LHS but were diamond shaped. Now it's easy to just order. I will still use the diamond shaped one as I've seen some ships having those.
I decided to make the supports with thin wire so to consistently make 60 of these I made a jig with pins nailed onto plywood backing...

USS0034.jpg

I then drilled out an acetate sheet to serve as a back lifter after I've wound the wire around.

USS0035.jpg

I'll try the first run tomorrow.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

Nice modelling as usual. That netting on top of the gunwales was used as storage for the crew's hammocks and served as an small additional shelter from musket fire. if you do add it you could add the hammaocks too.

John
Thanks John, hammocks... that would be interesting. The Japanese used the same principle with their bedrolls attached to gun tubs and the bridge during ww2.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay, made two types this morning. Obviously the first trial run took me ages but once I figured out the process the second was a breeze.

20220202_111043.jpg

I think I will go with the one in the top...much neater and the ropes would fit the top ends of the mesh better.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
VERY good Richard VERY instreting build an im following
chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That looks like an interesting challenge Richard.

ATB.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yeah...I think I'll pace myself like 10 a day and within 6 days will have enough to start the mesh work and then the threading of the rope through the loop.
I will pre-drill the gunwhales(thanks for naming that John) to help as a jig as well.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys, since its the CNY holidays and nothing to do but eat I've done the first 10 pieces within two hrs in between preparing the next meal.

20220202_191007.jpg

The jigs been very helpful. All the fuss about it being difficult was for nothing. I guess next time I should just plod away and do a Nike.

Lots of salmon steaks to cook for tonight...earlier on raw version was consumed with the prosperity salad dish tossed as high as possible signifying high wealth and health...yum yum. Table was a mess showing that we spread the the wealth and health around. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today to break the monotony of making the supports I drilled out the points on the gunwhales and tried some on.

20220204_141636.jpg

Here test fitting the supports.

20220204_141644.jpg

58 drills went well but two just had to peek out the sides but easily covered over when I glue the supports on. They may be slightly over scale.

Cheers,
Richard