What's on the bench 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Spit UF-Q is slowly approaching its final stages. Today main decals and a protective coat of clear gloss before adding the stencils (there's a full set of 1/72 stencils included in the kit!).
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0705.JPG
The quality of the decals is really good: they easily follow the surface details, even rivets, with just some Humbrol Decalfix applied with a cotton bud followed by a delicate massage with a wooden toothpick.
Just the blue on the roundels seems not fully "on spot".

Andrea

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
While I work my way through Panther tracks...a Before and after. First attempt at proper figure modification. Not completely happy with the left elbow or the milliput finish, but Will see what primer does to him. (Asleep not dead). May try and sculpt a blanket over his lower half 0E36D252-B5B3-4CC8-9786-5B5F51FBBD99.jpegB63C6597-6C95-4EF2-843E-718478D32404.jpeg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not technically the bench, but:

D6A in Illustrator.jpeg

D6A.jpeg

I’ve been tracing over original factory drawings of a Caterpillar D6A armoured bulldozer so I can have correct, 1:35 scale drawings of one for an article I’m writing. The right side is done, I now only need to do the front, rear, top and left (which will be the right mirrored, with minor changes to the engine access hatches and drawing the other side of the winch). If insanity really takes hold of me, I may even start scratchbuilding one from plastic card …

The reason for tracing them, BTW, is because I only have photographs of the drawings, taken freehand so they’re not nice and flat and the drawings I photographed were not nice and flat against the wall themselves. I have to use the perspective warp tool in Photoshop to try and get them square, then push and pull them some more to correct the proportions. Then I can use Illustrator to make the drawings I want from them.

I also just noticed from posting these images here, that several objects with rounded corners have become far too round overall when I reduced the drawing in size earlier … that nearly-round lid at the rear of the engine compartment should be square with rounded corners, for example, and there are a couple more like that. Time to make some corrections …

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Andrea, that looks like a nice kit and you will do it justice for sure. Does that Trumpeter kit come with rubber tires???...

Jack, that fig scratchy looks most excellent Sir!! A perfect sleep pose if you ask me.....

Jakko, that appears to be a lot of work, but you seem to have it well under control. Good luck with the rest......

Me, I've been deep in my Mossie for the GB, but am suffering a bit of wing thingy burnout in the brain. While waiting for paint, I kept hearing the half-kit I bought at the show calling me...."Build me, build me" it would say. Ok, I gave in and went for it,

IMG_3052.JPG
It's so damn cute and has lots of tiny parts!!! Fit is great and I haven't broken anything yet. Highly detailed and the etch is fantastic to work with. No tracks, but it does have wheels.......

Prost
Allen

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Andrea, that looks like a nice kit and you will do it justice for sure. Does that Trumpeter kit come with rubber tires???...

Thank you, Allen and yes, the kit comes with rubber tires and poly caps ... fortunately there are resin weighted tires available for just 20€ and with just 25€ more three resin figures (2 busts and 1 complete) of modern italian tankers, all from Model Victoria (20 km from home... so no shipping additional costs :smiling:) ; just have to decide what to do. The positive aspect is that the wheels can remain in the box (or in my whishland) until the end of the main colour painting phase.
A nice start on your wheeled thing too! :thumb2:
Andrea

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks too Andrea. I wish I was so lucky to have a company like Victoria Models so close to where I live. They do make some very interesting resin products and I too have a couple on my wish list. BTW, how far is Brach Models from where you live? I love a lot of luciano Brach's resin kits. Pricey, but so well cast.....

Prost
Allen

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Thanks too Andrea. I wish I was so lucky to have a company like Victoria Models so close to where I live. They do make some very interesting resin products and I too have a couple on my wish list. BTW, how far is Brach Models from where you live? I love a lot of luciano Brach's resin kits. Pricey, but so well cast.....

Prost
Allen
Allen, Brach Models would be just 45 km away from where I was born, but now it's more than 6 hours by car... not really " 'round the corner".
A couple of years ago I went personally to Victoria Models to fetch the figure I bought; it's not really what is generally known as "a company". It's an artisan shop run by the owner and located on the second floor of his detached house. Anyway, what is important to us modellers is that his products are beautiful. :thumb2:

Andrea

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I agree that 6 hours is a bit of a drive Andrea. And you are correct about small 'Cottage' shops catering to our needs. Thanks again for the info and have fun with the Centauro.....

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko, that appears to be a lot of work, but you seem to have it well under control. Good luck with the rest......
Nowhere near as much work as building one from plastic sheet and miscellaneous bits :smiling3: It’s not actually very hard, the main thing is to make sure the original drawings are warped and stretched so their major dimensions are correct.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm looks familiar! Quad tractor?
yes. got it in one.! Its the CMP Chevy gun tractor. Despite its age it's not a bad kit. Detail is there, a bit soft in places. Nice hard plastic! Rubber tyres. Real rubber too not the hard shiny vinyl ones you expect.
Trying to choose: A wreck, in service or as a Restored truck....

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Don't recall seeing anyone build a wreck since I been here,that could be interesting,it'll look good whatever you choose I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.