Wild Camping / Bushcrafting

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
As some of you may know on here, I suffer quite badly at times with my mental health. I suffer with depression, anxiety and agoraphobia (fear of open spaces/going out). The last one is a hard one to overcome when you need to leave the house to go to work lol. For a few years i have undergone some therapy session/counselling to help with my issues. They recommended many ways to help. But it's actually someone that i know from the forces that also suffers with mental health that got me into this.
In recent years i have taken up wild camping / bushcrafting. This is to help me find a place out with my house that i can just empty my head of 'noise' and chill out. Sometimes i go out for an overnight stay, sleeping under a tarp and a bivvy bag. But today i just went for a coffee.

So here are a few pics of roughly where i go and my little cooking set up. The first pics are of the way into the woods where i go. The last few are of my woodgas stove and me making the coffee. The coffee only took two pine cones and three 6 x 1cm sticks to make. Free is the best kind of coffee :smiling3:
Excellent time out today. Bit blowy but i have a place that is sheltered. Head dump carried out satis!

IMG_2583.JPGIMG_2585.JPGIMG_2586.JPGIMG_2590.JPGIMG_2591.JPGIMG_2593.JPG

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looks like a good spot to give the brain an airing.I know where your coming from,taking up themodelling a few years back is what helps me cos its all i think about while im doing it .

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good for you Al, that's some stunning countryside to both relax and enjoy.

Really pleased for you, enjoy just do not burn the place down lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Spending time away from the stresses of life is good for all of us. Your trips into the beautiful countryside must be a great help in dealing with your mental issues. I wish you well.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, time out is a good use of time when you need it, and modelling is good for mindfulness. Looks idyllic there I must say. My first bout of depression in 2015 was when I started taking a deeper interest in bird watching and bird photography. Unfortunately RA has put a stop to the photography for now, but I’m hoping to get out and about again in the autumn if my new meds are effective. Hope you keep on top of it Alan, because my daughter suffers from the three you’ve mentioned, along with epilepsy, and I know how debilitating they can be.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan

I was obviously aware of some of what you've been through as a result of our little exchanges. and I'm very pleased to find that you've found a way to help you cope.; be it an overnighter or just for the afternoon.

In terms of where you live, you really are a very lucky man having those views on your doorstep.....I'm very much a mountain/hill kind of man, for example things like beaches don't really do it for me.

All the best.

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Just thought i'd share with you my way of 'escaping' my head. It is a beautiful area i live in. And a short 20 minute walk from my house takes me to the place where i go. Granted it's a bit of a trek through the heather to get there. But that just means that 'joe public' isn't going to stumble across where i go. They normally stick to the main path and climb the mountain behind me :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hmmm......
"Wild camping and Bushcrafting"..
.... Some might say that it's just like a normal day in downtown Devon!! :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I started taking a deeper interest in bird watching and bird photography.

If i had been quicker with my camera today i would have had some lovely shots of a Robin about 6ft from me and then a Buzzard perched in tree not more than 10m from me. I'm hoping to see some Red Squirrels too in the future

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can understand you needing space. And a beautiful place to lose yourself and find your sole.
I used to love my walks in the black mountains or the lake district.
Now Denmark is not famous for its mountains but the coast and woodland countryside it my new chil place.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The trips out also serve another purpose for me. I also go out and collect something called 'fat wood'. This is pine wood that has the tree resin concentrated in it. You can see it in the picture below. The red/dark brown on the wood is the resin infused wood. It is a natural fire starter. It burners very hot. So i go out and collect it for my wood burner in the house. Yet again another free item that i don't need to go shopping for :smiling3:

IMG_2587.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If i had been quicker with my camera today i would have had some lovely shots of a Robin about 6ft from me and then a Buzzard perched in tree not more than 10m from me. I'm hoping to see some Red Squirrels too in the future
You can be sure that if you see them, they have already seen you :tongue-out3:
Best way to try and get good shots is to slowly raise the camera (or binoculars to watch them) to your eye so you can take the shot. Seems counterintuitive, but if you move the camera up quickly the animal takes the fast movement as a threat and runs. You will miss far more shots than you get, but that’s part of the game.

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The Buzzard was there when i got there. I sat watching it for quite a few mins before i even thought about taking a picture. I knew it had already seen me and was surprised it stayed as long as it did.
For the Robin it was just a fleeting visit. I was sat chilling when it landed. Again i sat and watched it for about 2 mins before it took off. Maybe i should just have my camera out ready next time. Hindsight and all that lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nothing better than doing that Alan, pleased you have "a place to go "
I like to do a form of yoga, aimed more at controlled breathing and can soon reach that "place "
Clearing the mess from our mind is great, no matter how it's achieved.
I wish you well .

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Definitely good for the mind and soul to get away from the everyday distractions of daily life. A beautiful spot you went to, take care.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks a beautiful place Al , perfect for clearing the head . Looks like youve found a perfect way to reset . Cheers tony

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very glad you have found a way and place to de-stress. We all need it at times. All the best.
John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to read you have such a great place to escape to and "Take Five to smell the flowers" as a late friend taught me to do. These hideaway places are good for the soul and long may you find a bit of peace to help you relax......

I firmly believe in taking as much time out as we can. I know it's different for you folks in farming, but during my working life, w/ends were always the 'away to go' time for me.

Get up to your secret, stress free place as much as possible - Beats anything else, hand's down!

....take nothing but memories and leave only footprints.
P1340044 (2).JPG

Take care and all the very best to you Al'.

Ron

Last edited:
First Name
Hong
The trips out also serve another purpose for me. I also go out and collect something called 'fat wood'. This is pine wood that has the tree resin concentrated in it. You can see it in the picture below. The red/dark brown on the wood is the resin infused wood. It is a natural fire starter. It burners very hot. So i go out and collect it for my wood burner in the house. Yet again another free item that i don't need to go shopping for :smiling3:

View attachment 461328
This is very interesting, Alan. May I know how you use the resin to start your fire?