Wild Camping / Bushcrafting

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
This is very interesting, Alan. May I know how you use the resin to start your fire?

I either make feather stick curls with it with my Mora knife or I shave off the resin into thin strips. I have just quickly gone out and done a very small feather stick (not very well either) with this Rowan stick to give you and idea of what i mean.

IMG_2597.JPG

Wrap the shavings in grease proof paper to 'package' it together then light the paper and there you go. A nice little fire starter that is provided free by nature.

Granted i know a pack of fire lighters doesn't cost much to buy. But the act of collecting the fat wood and processing it, helps with my mental health. so i much prefer doing this.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Alan
I do similar, get out with a basha, bivvy...... this year just a groundsheet, poncho bivvy and a mozzie net lol
I see you have a woodgas stove, how do you find it, i have one but not used in action yet, working my way thru hexamine stash, going to Military Odessey next weekend for a buy up lol.
You cannot beat being in nature, its calming, resets the mental outlook of whats important in life imho
(As a dio builder i grab bits whilst out too.... soils, roots etc lol)
Nick

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I do similar, get out with a basha
I see you have a woodgas stove, how do you find it, i have one but not used in action yet

I was going to get a basha but i thought the extra size of a cheap tarp (3x3) would give me more design options to make a shelter should i need it.

The woodgas stove is great for making a brew on or heating a smallish pot of food. In my opinion it is all that it's good for really. Due to the small access area to place the twigs / cones in i sometimes find i have to remove the pot from the top to place in the fuel. But it does concentrate the heat very effectively and things heat up really quickly. It is also a continual feed because it can really burn through the wood at a good rate. But on the plus side, it produces hardly any smoke due to the woodgas action, which is great if you are trying to be stealthy. Also produces very fine ash which is great to dispose of and doesn't scorch the ground underneath it so you can leave no trace you were there.

I am looking into buying a Bushbox XL next to use for cooking on. I've watched a ton of YT vids on it and think it's my next purchase.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I was going to get a basha but i thought the extra size of a DD Hammocks tarp (3x3) would give me more design options to make a shelter should i need it.

The woodgas stove is great for making a brew on or heating a smallish pot of food. In my opinion it is all that it's good for really. Due to the small access area to place the twigs / cones in i sometimes find i have to remove the pot from the top to place in the fuel. But it does concentrate the heat very effectively and things heat up really quickly. It is also a continual feed because it can really burn through the wood at a good rate. But on the plus side, it produces hardly any smoke due to the woodgas action, which is great if you are trying to be stealthy. Also produces very fine ash which is great to dispose of and doesn't scorch the ground underneath it so you can leave no trace you were there.

I am looking into buying a Bushbox XL next to use for cooking on. I've watched a ton of YT vids on it and think it's my next purchase.
Alan
Stove sounds good for single person activerty....... will put into action soon, i have for luxury nights out a fold up bbq lol with Steel undertray to save ground marks, means carrying 750gr of charcoal but can be used as a firepit
20220821_112512.jpg
Nick

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Nick.

Here is my main firewood processing tools when out and about. It's a Mora 'Light My Fire' knife that has a ferro rod built into the handle (removeable) and a Bahco Laplander saw. The Bahco is worth every single penny it costs. I've used it for over 10 years now and it still cuts like a dream. I also collect birch bark whenever i get the chance. Fantastic fire lighting product.

IMG_2599.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agree ref Laplander saw. We have one for garden pruning and it’s fantastic.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Agree ref Laplander saw. We have one for garden pruning and it’s fantastic.

Certainly is Tim. I bought my for 16 quid but i think they have gone up a tenner since then. For the size they can handle just about everything i need to cut when i'm out and about

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You're lucky to have open space just twenty minutes away Alan. Here its concrete jungle to another jungle. Open spaces only happens if the land is cleared for development.
Laplander saw...SWMBO has one for gardening but guess who has to do the sawing.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You're lucky to have open space just twenty minutes away Alan. Here its concrete jungle to another jungle. Open spaces only happens if the land is cleared for development.
Laplander saw...SWMBO has one for gardening but guess who has to do the sawing.

Cheers,
Richard
That’s two of us then…..

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
What great views! Perfect place to unwind, glad it works for you.

Peter

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's an amazing place you have there to escape to Alan. I really like the idea of removal that mental noise / clutter.
I try to practice a bit of mindfulness when I'm just in the garden, I'm just not very good at it yet !

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Colin i too use gardening to 'de-clutter' but i find to totally dump the noise i have to escape to the middle of nowhere. The coastline is also another good place for me to visit.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nick.

Here is my main firewood processing tools when out and about. It's a Mora 'Light My Fire' knife that has a ferro rod built into the handle (removeable) and a Bahco Laplander saw. The Bahco is worth every single penny it costs. I've used it for over 10 years now and it still cuts like a dream. I also collect birch bark whenever i get the chance. Fantastic fire lighting product.

View attachment 461367
Totally agree about the Bahco Alan, still have mine after many years and it's almost as good as new!
Steve

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
it's almost as good as new!

I wouldn't go that far about mine lol. It's been 'dinked' off the ground a few times whilst sawing wood for the fires / stoves. But it's still a trusty saw and i would buy another in a heartbeat should i need to replace it.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I wouldn't go that far about mine lol. It's been 'dinked' off the ground a few times whilst sawing wood for the fires / stoves. But it's still a trusty saw and i would buy another in a heartbeat should i need to replace it.
I did say 'almost' mate ... !

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
After finding that my old green cheap tarp had been used as a nest for a family of mice so was full of holes, i made this rather nice purchase.

DD Hammocks 3x3m Multicam tarp. Planning a few more overnight camps with this. Rather chuffed :smiling3:

IMG_2669.JPG