Wild Camping / Bushcrafting

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good plan Al, up there for thinking!!
We used to wrap uncooked eggs in plastic or clingfilm, then put them in the centre of an aluminium grenade tin surrounded by sugar (double effect, , yum and longer-term), Bacon was trimmed down by SWMBO, wrapped round a cocktail stick and crammed into a 35m ally film container before having bacon fat poured over to seal the gaps! When circumstances allowed bacon and eggs in a mess tin! Oh Joy, Oh Bliss!!! Living high on the hog for a brief moment!
Steve

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Out again this afternoon. My first day off for a while so i grabbed my brew kit and headed off to tham thar hills. Little bit breezy up there, which obviously lowered the temp a little. But still enjoyable

IMG_2763.JPGIMG_2764.JPG

Ahh that's better. Brew and chill

IMG_2767.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cold but does the soul a power of good.
Certainly does Jim. Bonus is that i also found another nice little area to camp in. Nice clearing in the heather in-between two Rowan trees. Perfect place to put up my tarp with a view onto the mountain to wake up to.

First Name
cliff
Great stuff,unfortunatly my hicking and camping days are over for the time being..Best i can do at the minute is take my brew kit and camp stove in my car,find a nice spot and sit and have some egg and bacon and a brew.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Better than nothing Cliff. I'm just looking at getting a new cast iron skillet for frying up stuff. Love the taste of newly smoked (over a wood fire) eggs n bacon

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan, sounds like you have found that place.
Reminds me of time spent in Norway map reading , the landscape was very much like that . Pure bliss as far as I was concerned .

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Out for a couple of coffees in my usual place and to start making a few little 'improvements' there. This includes a couple of wind breaks and fire heat reflectors. But whilst up there for the first time i noticed an abundance of moss that i used for making hedges/bushes like in my ongoing Bocage diorama. So it would be rude not to take a few bits to replenish my stocks eh?

Was a nice day up there. Not cold or wet (unlike today). Spent a few hours mind dumping and chilling :smiling3:

IMG_2809.JPG

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Out for a couple of coffees in my usual place and to start making a few little 'improvements' there. This includes a couple of wind breaks and fire heat reflectors. But whilst up there for the first time i noticed an abundance of moss that i used for making hedges/bushes like in my ongoing Bocage diorama. So it would be rude not to take a few bits to replenish my stocks eh?

Was a nice day up there. Not cold or wet (unlike today). Spent a few hours mind dumping and chilling :smiling3:

View attachment 475504
Very good Al. How do you preserve it for the long term?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
How do you preserve it for the long term?

To be honest i've used them with no preservation and some with glycerine. It hasn't made a difference either way so far. So i think it's safe to say that you can just dry them out, paint and use

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not been out for a coffee for a while now due to various reasons. But i intend to get back out soon and thought i would give myself a little treat.

Bought myself a new gas stove. It's really powerful and will boil a litre of water in about 1.45 mins. Whilst it's nice using my woodgas stove
, it does take a little longer. So after some research i thought this one would be perfect for me.

Also got the essential midge head net. My old one has been lost somewhere and i am fed up of being a walking buffet for the little blighters.

Got another bit of kit coming in the post too. But will update about this nice bit of kit when i get it.

Had to sell a few kits to get all this but it's worth it given my rate of completion on the kit build front :smiling3:

IMG_2872.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i got out today for a quick coffee after work. Went to a new spot for me. I followed the Speyside Way just down from Boat o' Brig. Stunning scenery and lots of quality quiet time. There was a mass of wild raspberries everywhere. And they tasted lovely

Found some potential camping spots too. Needs a little more investigation but i think they'll be ok.

IMG_2876.JPGIMG_2874.JPGIMG_2873.JPGIMG_2879.JPGIMG_2880.JPG

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looks a great spot there....
... and the wings on that flutterby are spectacular :cool: :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to see you getting out Alan!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I really miss being out in the hills. Just sitting and drinking in the view is the best tonic and detox for me. I can almost feel it recharging my batteries.

My honeymoon was spent hillwalking in the lake district, that's how much Zoë & I enjoy the outdoors.

It has been far too long but we have some time away in a few weeks, hiring a motor home, and I really can't wait to be back out there. We are both at a major crossroads in our relative careers and we really need the reset and clarity that nature can bring.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice one Alan. Good shot of the Peacock flutterby as well.