Zvezda 1/35 T-34/85 & others.................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jakko,
the two small drums are oil drums, as opposed to the 3 diesel drums. That box really baffles me - It must be a field modification, not official, as it would prevent the service hatch to the transmission from being opened.............
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
There is a large box, with a pipe out the side, which Zvezda direct you to fit on the rear plate, between the exhaust pipes:
View attachment 399077
I've looked at a fair few pictures of the T-34/85, enough to say that this wasn't a common fitting, so, I'm going to leave it off! Anyone know what it is? Smokescreen generator? Improvised oven?...........................
Dave
I'm sure I've read somewhere that it's an 'oven' of some sort..
I'd have thought the crew would have enough to deal with fighting German forces let alone knocking up a few loaves of Mother Russia's finest granary..

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the two small drums are oil drums, as opposed to the 3 diesel drums.
I thought they used one of the three drums for oil, the other two being for diesel. But it’s proving frustratingly hard to come up with a source for any of this. Maybe I should stop asking Google and try looking in books instead …

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've just flipped through the Zaloga 'T-34 In Action', and I can't find one picture with the box!
However from Henk of Holland website:
tank with oven.jpg
" This vehicle is a PostWar T34/85 from East Germany. On the back of the vehicle is an oven for pre-heating the engine. The T34 is a post war and Polish made. The East German army adapted on some T-34's this oven. The oven was used with coal and wood. "
Well, that's some info, but was it relevant to WWII? I'm certainly leaving it off!
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I've just flipped through the Zaloga 'T-34 In Action', and I can't find one picture with the box!
However from Henk of Holland website:
View attachment 399128
" This vehicle is a PostWar T34/85 from East Germany. On the back of the vehicle is an oven for pre-heating the engine. The T34 is a post war and Polish made. The East German army adapted on some T-34's this oven. The oven was used with coal and wood. "
Well, that's some info, but was it relevant to WWII? I'm certainly leaving it off!
Dave
Good call Dave, I'll remember that when I start throwing glue at mine.. :thumb2:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The Zvezda model comes in the usual box-in-a-box, to resist transit damage. Sprue shots & a few detail shots.
View attachment 398166View attachment 398165View attachment 398164View attachment 398162View attachment 398163
It's a simple model, but then again the externals of the T-34 were simple
View attachment 398169
Casting texture on the turret sides
View attachment 398167
Road wheels - hubs OK, the rubber tyres will need a bit of beating up.......................
View attachment 398168
Tracks, link & length - the sprues join together to make a track jig for the top run..............
View attachment 398170

Why don't more companies do stuff like this? That's a great use of outside-of-the-box thinking!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent Sleuthing Mr. Ward!

Your Servant.

Shirley Combs

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
If I hadn't tracked that box down, it would have niggled me - like a stone in your shoe.......................
I have been working on the T-34, sealed all with a coat of gloss varnish, then started on washes to wheels & hull - nothing worth taking a piccy of, though!

Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not a good start to the day - I was intending to use a FoG ceramic base - but I managed to drop this, and it shattered into many pieces :sad:
I may be able to salvage one end, but it will be too short for the T-34 to fit. Oh well - Plan 'B'
disgusted Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Certainly wasn't, it was looking so good. Looking fwd to plan B then.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The base fell on the edge of my compressor - which I had just moved out to use - some things are just meant not to happen...............................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Work on the T-34 weathering - it looks a little stark at the moment, but I'm going to gradually tone it down
DSCF0977.JPGDSCF0978.JPGDSCF0979.JPG
I made a plastic card perch for Ivan in the turret, and adjusted the height by cutting off the poor fellers feet!
The tank riders are coming along, but I'm pondering on how dirty these guys will be - muddy boots OK, but how far to go?
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Toned everything down, with an overspray of matt varnish, just tinted with a mud colour, more spray towards the bottom........................DSCF0981.JPGDSCF0983.JPG

The riders are just about done - I think they will be added ( and finishing touches ) when I have a base for the T-34 - which I am in the process of sourcing!
DSCF0984.JPG
Might be a day or so before the base is forthcoming - I think the next pictures will be appearing in the 'completed' section
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

The tank and the riders have come on really nicely indeed, so very well done.

As for poor Ivan's feet, I wouldn't worry.
you seem to be joining the 'Radical Surgery Club' that Steve (aka stona) and I formed so we could get our Spitfire pilots in.

Keep up the work.

Andrew

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Very nice work Dave,
I'd never thought about tinting my flat varnish with a bit of brown ...love the idea.. I'm deffo gonna give that a wizz..

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Very nice work Dave,
I'd never thought about tinting my flat varnish with a bit of brown ...love the idea.. I'm deffo gonna give that a wizz..
Just a tint, you can gradually build the effect up, by going over and over the bottom of the model, building up the effect, tapering it off as you go up - this works best with desert vehicles - sandy coloured dust, but remember to mask any periscopes, or areas swept by wipers! I usually thin the varnish down more than usual before tinting - BUT, it's too easy to overdo it, so just a tint & gradually build it up
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I forgot to say that this tinting of matt varnish will be last thing you do to a model - and it is irreversible! It may be possible to remove if you overdo it, but I've tried it only once, and that model ended up as landfill!
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thanks for the heads up Dave, I'll make sure it's the last thing i do.