1/35 coal burning truck

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
An interesting Truck. Its coming along nicely as well.

Ian M

D

dubster72

The truck is coming together nicely Alex, I'll be watching with interest when you come to painting it.

Cheers

Patrick

A

AJay

Thanks Ian and Patrick. And here's a few more pics. I've placed everything together loosely to photograph.

There are rear mud guards provided, but the instructions don't show them being fitted. I'm not sure whether to fit them or not.....I'd like to but want my truck authentic. Any thoughts?

View attachment 44577

View attachment 44578

View attachment 44579

truck wip 1.jpg

truck wip 2.jpg

truck wip 3.jpg

Last edited:
A

AJay

Cheers, James. By the way, when I say mud guards, I mean rear arches.

Next is the painting. I'm always nervous when this time comes as my airbrush isn't the best (came free with my compressor). Definitely going with the Red Cross thing.

Has anyone got any tips to for masking the white circles? :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Cheers, James. By the way, when I say mud guards, I mean rear arches.Next is the painting. I'm always nervous when this time comes as my airbrush isn't the best (came free with my compressor). Definitely going with the Red Cross thing.

Has anyone got any tips to for masking the white circles? :smiling3:
My best guess would be masking tape :laughing:

Serious reply. The best bet would be to either find a circle cutter in the hobby shop, or do as I do and use a divider, you know the things in a drawing set. I sharpen on of the needles and use that as a cutter, I works well enough for me.

Dont forget to keep the round bit to mask the white with when you do the red cross.

Ian M

D

dubster72

I see some filler was needed Alex! Lucky only a little, my T-55 is going to be more filler than plastic!

The rear arches I'd put on, it seems proper to have them. As for the red crosses, perhaps you could do them quite roughly, as if it's been unexpectedly pressed into service as an ambulance?

Keep it coming!

Patrick

C

CDW

some blue-prints on the web seem to point to there being no arches on the coal burning conversion, where-as the opel blitz standard jobbie had them.

opel-blitz-kfz305-3-ton-coal-engine-truck - BlueprintBox.com

Hope this helps some.

A

AJay

Ian, thanks for the tips. I reckon I'll concentrate on getting the base coat down first :smiling3:

Patrick: Yes, there was filler indeed! The cab was the toughest part so far and tricky to get into shape as the fit's not brilliant. As for my Red Cross idea: as the Russians close in on Berlin, my truck is pressed into ambulance duty carrying wounded Volkstrum and regular troops. I like it :smiling3: Sadly I don't have the money to buy any accessories for the flat bed so it will have to remain empty for now, unless anyone has any ideas of something that be scratch built?

Colin, it certainly seems the arches were not on this version. The period photos I have show they're not fitted, although some modellers have fitted them and they look good. Guess I'll have to make that call.

Thanks, Andy. That's one of the photo's I've been using as a reference.

D

dubster72

How about wounded troops Alex? I'd have though some stretchers made from stretched sprue & PVA'd tissue paper can't be hard to make if you have a few old figures knocking about or just some heads & maybe arms?

I see bloodstained wood!

Cheers

Patrick

A

AJay

I love the idea of stretchers! I've never done any scratch building so that would be fun.

I don't have any figures apart from my Maultier driver and co-driver and the'll be needed for that build. Maybe I'll show my truck abandoned....it's a shame there wasn't an option to have the doors open. I'll have a think. Thanks for the stretcher idea though, I think that's definite goer.

S

sprayman

Great work going on Alex on this truck,looking forward to the paint job....keep it up mate.

C

CDW

I made stretchers out of short lengths of bell wire painted brown for the poles and then folded small pieces of fabric cut from some old Camo trousers over for a M*A*S*H diorama (that i still have to complete)

they look quite good really

anyway, just another idea you can mess around with :smiling3:

A

AJay

Thanks for the comments, Ray and Colin. I'll definitely have a go at stretcher making.

And here's another update. I primed the truck once and found some imperfections, so wet and dried it down and repainted. I have two damaged airbrushes (both caused by my inexperience, so lucky they're cheapies), but I still just about managed a nice clean coverage of primer :smiling3:

41571-1-35-coal-burning-truck-blitz-wip.jpg

View attachment 45184

Blitz WIP.jpg

D

dubster72

That'll be a good base for painting on Alex. Incidentally, I've an old Badger 200 that I don't use, perfect condition though no box.

Cheers

Patrick

A

AJay

Here's where I am now.

I've finally added the base coat of dark yellow.

I'm normally an 'accuracy nutter', but must be growing a little less intense with old age as I've done something totally 'out there', for me anyway....I very craftily added a few drops of olive to my mix (and admit felt guilty for a while), so as to add some interest. It's not so obvious in these photo but is in the real thing.

Talk about living life on the edge!!! lol

View attachment 44045

View attachment 44046

View attachment 47248

View attachment 47249

View attachment 47250

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is looking good Alex.

Have you decided what it will be, you talked about a Red Cross truck before but I can't recall if that was the final choice.

Ian M

A

AJay

Thank you, Ian. Yes, I'm going with the Red Cross theme as everyone seemed to like the idea as much as I did. The crosses will be on the sides, rear, and on the roof. :smiling3: